Searching for iota subscripts

Rod Decker

Is it possible to search for forms with iota subscripts?

I tried: [verb imperfect] @"ῃ*"

But I get mostly forms that begin with an eta:

ἀγαπάω (ἀγάπη) to love = 7

ἠγάπα = 5

ἠγαπᾶτε = 1

ἠγαπᾶτέ = 1

ἀγνοέω (α, γινώσκω) to be ignorant = 2

ἠγνόουν = 2

αἰτέω to ask = 2

ᾐτοῦντο = 2

εἰμί (εἰμί_1) to be, exist (sum) = 456

ἤμεθα = 5

ἦμεν = 6

ἦτε = 10

It appears that either I'm using the wrong syntax or that Accordance is ignoring the subscript. (I tried to check the Accordance Fonts pdf for clues, but the file that the site search turns up gives an error: www.accordancebible.com/files/pdf/fonts.pdf)

The reason for my search is an attempt to verify something that Mounce says on p. 185 of BBG. He lists words beginning with ει lengthening to ῃ (or remaining unchanged) when they augment. I have not been able to find any verb in the NT in which the lengthened form ει > ῃ occurs. (I've also tried aorist forms.) That means that either (again) my search is wrong, or that Mounce is wrong (or at least that he gives unnecessary info if this never happens in the NT!).

Rod,

Accordance is ignoring the iota subscript unless you specifically tell it to consider it. You do that by placing an equals sign inside the quotes for an exact search. Like this:

[verb imperfect] @"=ῃ*"

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That verifies what I'd already surmised by scanning the larger searches. There are no examples in the NT, LXX, Apos Fthrs, or pseud. of any verb *beginning* with ει that augments as ῃ.

Based on this search pattern, I then tried: [verb imperfect] @"=*ῃ*"

And discovered that the only time ει augments as ῃ is with an internal augment in compound forms of εἰμι, e.g., ἀπῄεσαν in Acts 17:10 (and that's an odd form anyway!).

Archived