scrolling is on hyperspeed

mhanel

Good news/bad news. First, I really dig the new look to the UI. I'm almost ready to think about using this more than a competitor's android app.

But something seems to be not right with my scrolling. When I scroll, using one swipe motion, the screen does not move line by line or even screen by screen, but rather jumps several screens in one shot. For instance. I start in ESVS with Gen 1:1 as first verse and Gen 1:9 is the bottom verse on my screen and swipe once. The screen jumps in hyperspeed mode and the top of the screen now reads Gen 1:24. I go back. I try it again, now Gen 1:28 is the top verse on my screen. There seems to be no way to scroll slowly or one line at a time, only hyperspeed.

I'm using latest beta on a Galaxy S8. Let me know if there's more from me you need.

I really dig the new look to the UI

Glad to hear it!

But something seems to be not right with my scrolling. When I scroll, using one swipe motion, the screen does not move line by line or even screen by screen, but rather jumps several screens in one shot. For instance. I start in ESVS with Gen 1:1 as first verse and Gen 1:9 is the bottom verse on my screen and swipe once. The screen jumps in hyperspeed mode and the top of the screen now reads Gen 1:24. I go back. I try it again, now Gen 1:28 is the top verse on my screen. There seems to be no way to scroll slowly or one line at a time, only hyperspeed.

Just to be sure I understand what you're trying to do... There are two ways to scroll, normal scrolling and "fling" scrolling. To scroll precisely by just a line or a few lines, be sure to keep your finger on the screen. You are essentially dragging the text up or down. To scroll more quickly, you can "fling" scroll where you swipe up/down and lift your finger off the screen in one fluid motion. In this case you are essentially flinging the text up or down. You could think of it as analogous to turning a wheel from the 12 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position versus flinging a free-spinning wheel, where the wheel will continue to turn until friction slows it down.

The behavior you are describing (where you swipe from Gen 1:1 and the text scrolls all the way to Gen 1:24 or so) is exactly what the fling scroll should do. If you want to scroll from Gen 1:1 to, say, Gen 1:10, you should be able to "drag" the text to Gen 1:10 by sliding your finger upward along the screen.

Let me know if there's more from me you need.

Does the above explanation answer your problem? Or is there a bug where attempting to slowly drag the text (e.g. from Gen 1:1 to Gen 1:3) will instead trigger a fling scroll?

Thanks!

Just to be sure I understand what you're trying to do... There are two ways to scroll, normal scrolling and "fling" scrolling. To scroll precisely by just a line or a few lines, be sure to keep your finger on the screen. You are essentially dragging the text up or down. 

Does the above explanation answer your problem? Or is there a bug where attempting to slowly drag the text (e.g. from Gen 1:1 to Gen 1:3) will instead trigger a fling scroll?

Thanks!

Ok, so this helps to explain "my" problem :-) You are correct that those two methods do work. I guess my problem is that this technique is unlike scrolling in other apps. If I'm in a browser or reddit, swipe scrolling is a much more controlled experience. I normally don't hold my finger down and scroll slowly, I swipe. So I need to be retrained when I use this app?? Or is this in line with other apps? 

(FWIW, the other Bible app that I've come to prefer offers page scrolling (where new page moves left to right with swipe) or vertical scrolling (up and down) in a much more controlled manner. That would be my optimal experience in this app, but that's just my opinion...)

I'll just like to point out that the "page scrolling" mechanism will NOT work when commentary panes are placed in parallel when the tablets reach feature parity with the desktop apps.

In cases when you want commentary to track with the verse and vice versa, a page scroll will not work well where a vertical scroll still work perfectly.

Edited by lesterchua

It works pretty much exactly as my PDF reader works. I can fling scroll a dozen pages in that on my tablet. Firefox on my tablet/phone basically does the same thing. I will fling the page and then catch it with my thumb to stop it if necessary. I guess I'm use to it but it doesn't seem that out of accord with other apps I use.

thx

D

It works pretty much exactly as my PDF reader works. I can fling scroll a dozen pages in that on my tablet. Firefox on my tablet/phone basically does the same thing. I will fling the page and then catch it with my thumb to stop it if necessary. I guess I'm use to it but it doesn't seem that out of accord with other apps I use.

thx

D

Yeah I get the "swipe" vs. "fling" difference. I guess it just seems to me that I wasn't "flinging", I was just doing a small swipe and all of a sudden I was two screens past where I thought I should be. There's something there that isn't intuitive to how I am used to using other apps because I couldn't even figure out why it did it. I thought it was a bug.

• Like 1

Ok, so this helps to explain "my" problem :-)

Apologies, poor word choice there. I meant "the issue that you are reporting" :)

So I need to be retrained when I use this app??

Definitely not the goal. I'll take a look at the scrolling mechanics to see how I can make this more intuitive.

Thanks!

I thought it was a bug.

I would agree that this is a bug. Previous versions of the Android app were so sluggish that you couldn't fling far enough. But the adjustment in 2.0 probably does over-correct to the point that now you can't fling slowly enough.

Apologies, poor word choice there. I meant "the issue that you are reporting" :)

Definitely not the goal. I'll take a look at the scrolling mechanics to see how I can make this more intuitive.

Thanks!

Didn't mean to sound passive aggressive. I just meant I accepted the fact that it wasn't a bug, it was a user experience difference.

I do get why it's acting that way and I'm not trying to be nitpicky. I really did think there was something wrong because I couldn't get it to scroll slowly. I'm willing to accept it's just me, but wanted to alert you to it anyway.

Edited by mhanel

I realise the page scrolling thing keeps coming up and some people really like it. I am use to regular scrolling and it has the advantage of keeping the surrounding context about the place you are reading. With a page based thing if you need to re-read a line or check back a little it's back to the previous page. Scrolling without page flips is becoming very natural to me.

Yeah I get the "swipe" vs. "fling" difference. I guess it just seems to me that I wasn't "flinging", I was just doing a small swipe and all of a sudden I was two screens past where I thought I should be. There's something there that isn't intuitive to how I am used to using other apps because I couldn't even figure out why it did it. I thought it was a bug.

Understood. I was wondering if the device had anything to do with it - perhaps your device is more powerful and things are moving more quickly than on mine. I am using an older phone and things are much more fluid on my tablet. An S8 is a decent step up from my S5 but even so. So I don't know I'm afraid.

Thx

D

I realise the page scrolling thing keeps coming up and some people really like it. I am use to regular scrolling and it has the advantage of keeping the surrounding context about the place you are reading. With a page based thing if you need to re-read a line or check back a little it's back to the previous page. Scrolling without page flips is becoming very natural to me.

Understood. I was wondering if the device had anything to do with it - perhaps your device is more powerful and things are moving more quickly than on mine. I am using an older phone and things are much more fluid on my tablet. An S8 is a decent step up from my S5 but even so. So I don't know I'm afraid.

Thx

D

And I honestly didn't mean that this app has to be what I was comparing it to. I understand why it would be different. The thing I liked was that I at least had options and control over scrolling. And here before I posted I spent last night going through all the settings just to make sure there wasn't something I was missing that controlled scrolling speed or function.

And yes I did have the thought that maybe it was just a phone problem. I can't imagine programming for Android is easy because of how every single device is different. I mean you can even have the same device and people on 50 different versions of Android if you take into account security updates, etc. I just wanted to make clear that I'm not just being a nay sayer. I really liked the first look of this upgrade, but then I ran into this and it kind of soured what looked like a great step forward.

Edited by mhanel

The thing I liked was that I at least had options and control over scrolling. And here before I posted I spent last night going through all the settings just to make sure there wasn't something I was missing that controlled scrolling speed or function.

Ideally I would think for a thing like this you would like it to auto-calibrate. Providing settings would likely be a last resort. An experience of 'user surprise' as it's often called isn't really what you want.

I just wanted to make clear that I'm not just being a nay sayer. I really liked the first look of this upgrade, but then I ran into this and it kind of soured what looked like a great step forward.

I assure you, no one thought you were. Experiences vary and the only way for things to be addressed is to raise them and discuss them as has happened here.

thx

D

Fling scrolling does seem more sensitive to me in 2.0 than before (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

I use Chrome as my default browser on my phone and it does not appear to be nearly as sensative to a fling as Accordance. I think there is a subtle difference between a push, a nudge and a flick in Chrome that is intuitive. I would be quite happy to see the same behaviour in Accordance if possible.

• Like 1

I have found that adjusting the text size down to a smaller font slighty reduces the sensativity to flick. However it still feels to me like it is on the overly sensitive side in that it registers the lifting of my finger as a flick not a drag/push.

Glad to hear it! Thanks again for the bug report.

• Like 1

Latest update solves my complaint. Good work!

Same here. Thanks Matt

• Like 1