Simple Search in a Particular Book

GYDOF1729

I want to search for υἱοῦ  in Matthew.  I open up Accordance to my NA28, click the plus symbol to add the Range in Matthew.  Then I right click Search For Inflected on  υἱοῦ  and it shows every occurrence in the NT, not just in Matthew.  It shows the word υἱοῦ 36 times in the NT.    

In Bibleworks when I do this simple search in NA28 on υἱοῦ I right click on υἱοῦ and it shows 8 verses with 9 hits.  

First, how do I do this with Accordance and find the occurrances in only Matthew, and second is their and easy want to do this in Accordance?  Thanks for any help.  

Garrell

post-35811-0-71529500-1573055000_thumb.jpg

post-35811-0-43919900-1573055014_thumb.jpg

Your second image with the result no longer shows the range set. I don't know why because it was in your first image. Anyhow, I just tried the search restricted and it worked.

thx

D

Your inflected search opened a new tab that was no longer restricted to Matthew, so you just need to restrict the search range. It's easier to define a temporary search range directly in the search bar though, ie, "υἱοῦ" <AND> [RANGE matt].  Commands are found under Search in the menu bar, but there are also keyboard shortcuts (in this case Cmd+Shift+A and Cmd+Shift+R).

Edited by JonathanHuber

Your inflected search opened a new tab that was no longer restricted to Matthew, so you just need to restrict the search range. It's easier to define a temporary search range directly in the search bar though, ie, "υἱοῦ" <AND> [RANGE matt].  Commands are found under Search in the menu bar, but there are also keyboard shortcuts (in this case Cmd+Shift+A and Cmd+Shift+R).

Jonathan thanks for your help.  Why does it open in another Tab?  I put the range in the first tab and hit enter but it always opens another tab with all NT of υἱοῦ even though I set the range already.  Even then it does not show only Matthew.  The first picture was right before I clicked enter, the second picture was the results.  So, if I am hearing you right I now need to do something else in the second tab for what I asked the first tab to accomplish?  

Your second image with the result no longer shows the range set. I don't know why because it was in your first image. Anyhow, I just tried the search restricted and it worked.

thx

D

Ruby, 

Can you send me screenshot of your results?

Garrell

Hi Garrell,

I think I'm going have to change my display name again - it is not uncommon to call be Ruby. Ruby is a rank in the forums indicating basically that you spend too much time posting :) Anyhow my name is Daniel but I have it in Hebrew, just for fun.

Ok to the problem you are having. Hmmm..... I have not seen Acc open a new pane for a search as you are describing. It can open new workspaces under some conditions - and will create new tabs and zones for things like Amplify but this is unusual.

I am not at my machine right now so posting the images will have to wait.

I am trying to work out how you are getting a new tab when you run the search. Are you absolutely sure ? Maybe something is just resetting the range selection. I looked and both your images as carefully as I could and I thought that they both showed the same tabs. But I didn't download them and flip them up the right way. Incidentally - using a screen capture tool is better than taking a photo and uploading. It will get the image up the right way but it's just easier for you at your end too. Mac has one built in.

What did I do - here are my steps.

1. open an NA 28 Greek NT tab

2. Go to the search menu -> Enter Inflected forms

3. find what you want

4. unselect exact forms unless you want them

5. add the range selection

6. run the search.

See if that works for you - maybe even open a new workspace with just the one search tab in it.

thx

D

Sorry Daniel for the name Ruby.  I am new to the Forums.  Here is a better picture.  One is search right before I hit return and the next picture is right after.  Notice the first only has one tab and the second has two tabs.  Hope these images are a little better quality.  I am currently deployed and the wifi signal is pretty weak where I am located.  

Garrell

post-35811-0-65225600-1573070996_thumb.jpg

post-35811-0-37383600-1573071075_thumb.jpg

Edited by calton

Garrell,

It opened a new tab because you initiated the search from the contextual menu. The search bar where you originally entered uios governs the search for that tab. Accordance chooses to not overwrite that search and thus creates a new tab when you work through the contextual menu. That way you can always return to your original work. 

If you want to change the search terms in that same tab, enter the new search terms in that bar. The Search dropdown in menu bar has a way to choose inflected forms. 

Edited by JonathanHuber
  • Like 1

If you want to search for a Greek word, just open a Greek text and search for the word. But if you want to search by using the right-click menu, it's always going to open up a new tab. And the new tab will also require you to enter the range "Matthew" as well. (And thank you for your service!)

Screen%20Shot%202019-11-06%20at%203.29.0

• Like 2

Sorry Daniel for the name Ruby.  I am new to the Forums.  Here is a better picture.  One is search right before I hit return and the next picture is right after.  Notice the first only has one tab and the second has two tabs.  Hope these images are a little better quality.  I am currently deployed and the wifi signal is pretty weak where I am located.  

Garrell

No worries.

I actually should have realised earlier that you were doing an Amplify style workflow. Something flitted across my mind and disappeared, fearful no doubt of becoming trapped, when I walked through my own test - the menus didn't feel quite like your images. I don't search texts this way pretty much at all - I do mostly as I described, and Mark showed.

Thx

D

Garrell,

It opened a new tab because you initiated the search from the contextual menu. The search bar where you originally entered uios governs the search for that tab. Accordance chooses to not overwrite that search and thus creates a new tab when you work through the contextual menu. That way you can always return to your original work. 

If you want to change the search terms in that same tab, enter the new search terms in that bar. The Search dropdown in menu bar has a way to choose inflected forms. 

Jonathan, I am not sure what you mean by contextual menu.  I am somewhat new to Accordance.  I did not enter the uios into the search bar, I opened up Accordance, mine opens to NA28.  I set the range for Matthew and then right click on uios.  When I right click I choose the Search For Inflected and hit return.  

Garrell,

Jonathan, I am not sure what you mean by contextual menu.  I am somewhat new to Accordance.  I did not enter the uios into the search bar, I opened up Accordance, mine opens to NA28.  I set the range for Matthew and then right click on uios.  When I right click I choose the Search For Inflected and hit return.  

The right click after selecting a word opens the contextual menu from which you selected the search option which opened the new tab. It's what I referred to as "an Amplify style" workflow.

thx

D

Garrell,

If you want to search for a Greek word, just open a Greek text and search for the word. But if you want to search by using the right-click menu, it's always going to open up a new tab. And the new tab will also require you to enter the range "Matthew" as well. (And thank you for your service!)

Screen%20Shot%202019-11-06%20at%203.29.0

I absolutely love serving our Airmen.  Mark, have done as you said and it opens a second tab, but then I have to go and set the range a second time.  It seems like I am doing 8-10 clicks and still not getting the results that it should.  In Bibleworks I could literally do this in 2 clicks.  I recently came over from BW.  I know there must be a simple way to do this.  I often will only search for a word in a single book of the bible to see if it is used frequently.  I created ranges for every book of the bible in accordance so I could accomplish this quickly.  BW shows their are 9 occurrences of uios but Accordance says their is 36 occurrences because it shows all of uios in the NT.  I want Accordance to show me these 9 occurrences without having to click more than 6-7 clicks.  

• Like 1

Guys sorry if several messages come through, the email in this deployment goes in and out frequently and it looks like my computer froze and it still sends stuff.  On my end it looks like it did not send until I log out of internet and then back into the internet.  

Or, use the RANGE command with the keyboard shortcut: Cmd-Shift-R. 

Or, use the RANGE command with the keyboard shortcut: Cmd-Shift-R. 

Once I use Cmd-Shift-R, what do I do next?

Enter the name of the range you're looking for. In this case, Matthew. Here are the steps:

1. Right click on "υἱοῦ"

2. Select "Search for—>Inflected"

3. In the new tab that has been created, press the "Cmd-Shift-R" keys on your keyboard and type in "Matt"

4. Hit enter on your keyboard.

Edited by Mark Allison

Too late, I already created one for each of the books about 3 days ago.

Good training.

Since you're new to Accordance... think of every tab as a search. You may be searching for some words, some verses, all words, all verses, etc. By default, a new text tab is effectively "searching" for all verses. If you enter words, verses, commands etc from the search bar, such as you can see in Mark's screenshot, then the program will restrict what is displayed. 

The menu you get from right clicking is the contextual menu. Anything you do from that menu will be done in a new tab in order to not overwrite your original tab. If you're starting from a new tab, it doesn't seem like a big deal to just overwrite it, but preserving that original tab is great if you already have a complex search there or a custom resource layout.

The easiest way to get what you what is to use search commands. I described above how to get inflected forms and restrict the search range ("υἱοῦ" [RANGE matt]). Those are all accessible through Search in the menu bar but it's faster to use the keyboard shortcuts. It might be a few more clicks than Bibleworks' behavior, but Accordance as a program is pretty fast and I was able to do your inflected search in a few seconds. The Range command is REALLY useful for simple searches like the one you're trying to do. Once you get used to the way Accordance works, you'll get pretty fast too.

Edited by JonathanHuber
  • Like 1

Enter the name of the range you're looking for. In this case, Matthew. Here are the steps:

1. Right click on "υἱοῦ"

2. Select "Search for—>Inflected"

3. In the new tab that has been created, press the "Cmd-Shift-R" keys on your keyboard and type in "Matt"

4. Hit enter on your keyboard.

Mark, that is great.  Thanks for showing me the steps.  I am an extremely visual learner, but once I learn something I usually have it down pretty good.  A few questions.  

1. Why did I need to use the Range 2 times?  Once in the original tab at the beginning.  And then again in your point #3?  

2. Why does this take so many clicks and typing?  I counted 7 clicks, keyboard shortcuts and typing into Matt into the search bar?  

Sorry, if it comes across as being hard headed but it seems like so many steps for such a simple search.  I guess I am so used to BW where this literally can be accomplished in less than 3.  I do this kind of search all the time and it seems like I will have to do the 7 clicks, keyboard shortcut, typing in whichever book I am looking for that particular work.  Just trying to gain perspective and see if there is a faster way.  You got me there and I am showing the 8 verses and 9 occurrences.  I really appreciate you help. 

Garrell

Since you're new to Accordance... think of every tab as a search. You may be searching for some words, some verses, all words, all verses, etc. By default, a new text tab is effectively "searching" for all verses. If you enter words, verses, commands etc from the search bar, such as you can see in Mark's screenshot, then the program will restrict what is displayed. 

The menu you get from right clicking is the contextual menu. Anything you do from that menu will be done in a new tab in order to not overwrite your original tab. If you're starting from a new tab, it doesn't seem like a big deal to just overwrite it, but preserving that original tab is great if you already have a complex search there or a custom resource layout.

The easiest way to get what you what is to use search commands. I described above how to get inflected forms and restrict the search range ("υἱοῦ" [RANGE matt]). Those are all accessible through Search in the menu bar but it's faster to use the keyboard shortcuts. It might be a few more clicks than Bibleworks' behavior, but Accordance as a program is pretty fast and I was able to do your inflected search in a few seconds. The Range command is REALLY useful for simple searches like the one you're trying to do. Once you get used to the way Accordance works, you'll get pretty fast too.

Jonathan, thanks for the encouragement.  I really appreciate it.  I was a BW user before it was even called BW.  I am really used to very quick searches with very few key strokes.  I was seeing how many key strokes for a simple search and was thinking also wow how many will it be for something a little more complex.  I absolutely love Accordance and ACC 13 is amazing.  I used ACC 12 for 3 weeks and the jump to 13 is like turning up the throttle on an F-16.  Better be buckled in!!!

I want to search for υἱοῦ  in Matthew:
1) Right-click "Search For Inflected" on  
υἱοῦ  and it shows every occurrence in the NT

2) Cmd-Shift-R and type in "Matt" in the search entry box.

3) Hit "enter"

Edited by Mark Allison

To be honest, it's taking you a bunch of clicks partly because you're doing a couple of things that aren't necessary to achieve your search. There are two sequences that will get what you want.

1) open tab, enter inflected form directly in the search bar for that tab, change search range.

OR

2) right-click word and search for inflected form, add [RANGE matt] after the word in the new tab

I want to search for υἱοῦ  in Matthew. 

1) Right-click "Search For Inflected" on  υἱοῦ  and it shows every occurrence in the NT

2) Cmd-Shift-R and type in "Matt" in the search entry box.

3) Hit "enter"

BAM!!!  Mark, that is way faster!!!  Now the Afterburners are clicking at full throttle!!!  I knew there had to be a faster way.  Thanks, Mark and Jonathan for giving me some tips and tricks to speed up the process.  I love the 1. 2. 3. outline too.  I am such a visual learner.  

• Like 3