Hebrew vowel-specific search question

TYA

I'm looking for other instances of this Hebrew word in the search field, vowelized precisely the same way. But why am I getting results with different vowelizations shown to the left, and not just Gen 15:11?

See attached please.

post-35231-0-95344400-1573368034_thumb.jpg

You need to also put an = sign in front of וַיַּשֵּׁב to indicate that you care about vowel pointing. In your example, you're only indicating that you care about the vowel pointing of the waw. 

You need to also put an = sign in front of וַיַּשֵּׁב to indicate that you care about vowel pointing.

Thanks Mark, but I think you meant to say, "You need to also put an equal sign in front of יַּשֵּׁב to indicate that you care about the vowel pointing for that part of the word also, and not just the waw prefix."

Mark, I was already putting the equal sign in front of the whole word (as you said above), in multiple attempts, including these.

"=וַ יַּשֵּׁב"

"=וַיַּשֵּׁב" (but note, the = sign here shows flipped to the other side of the word)

And those attempts above somehow mysteriously caused Accordance to change the vowels in my search involuntarily, so that "ו =יָשַׁב" (notice the qametz under yudh) suddenly appeared in the search field, leading me down a path I didn't want to go.  In other words, in all the harried efforts, Accordance even changed the word I was looking for.

But your answer is helpful because I now see that I apparently need to put an equal sign in front of the second part of the word (yes, I know, I know: Accordance considers waw to be a "word" of its own, even though, as I always say, there is no instance of a waw sitting by itself, unattached to a word, in any Hebrew text).

Somehow I missed this after a year+ of searching in Accordance, and after having to develop a multi-page crib sheet to remember all the complexities of Accordance searching.

So, having said all that, I finally found that "=וַ =יַּשֵּׁב" indeed finds what I want.  And so, thank you for that, Mark.  I always, always appreciate your help.  But let me ask: does this have to be so complicated that even your answer above was technically incorrect?

(Please pardon the frustration, and don't take it personally.)

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1