struggling with new approach to highlighting

Chuck Schneider

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a change in the approach to highlighting. In the past, it was always possible to select the verse number (or drop the cursor in the middle of the verse reference) and apply the highlights that I wanted. These would then apply to the whole verse in all texts. Since version 13, I can't figure out how to do this any more. I can highlight only one verse of one translation at a time by click and dragging across the text that I'm interested in.

However, if I select the complete text of a verse (while avoiding the reference) plus the space after the last letter or punctuation in a verse, it highlights every text. Unfortunately, when it does this, it always includes the next verse as well.

I also can't find a way to clear a highlight that I created while trying to figure out how to do what I've described in the first couple of sentences above. That is, I somehow managed to highlight book and verse "Jas 4:1" but not the actual text contained in the verse and now it's no longer possible to clear that highlight.

After using the tutorial, the highlighting seems to function similar to what I used to experience. I went back to my text and now it behaves mostly as it used to behave. That is, as long as I avoid the highlights pop-up panel.

I upgraded to Release 13 last week and I am happy with the upgrade but I must admit I am a little underwhelmed with the new highlighting features.  I have found them very hit and miss as they assume you are very dexterous with your track-pad or mouse. If you are lucky you might be able to put an oval around a word or get a straight line between to words. If my iMac and macBook Pro could use a pencil device it wouldn't be too bad but otherwise it is unusable.

Developers please think about another way to do these things rather than rely on the mouse or track pad.

Chuck:

We did do some significant changes to the highlighting workflow, but you should find it is, at a minimum, at least as good, and in many ways, much better.  The old way of highlighting can be accomplished in three ways:

1) Keeping the highlight palette closed, selecting some text, and highlighting.

2) Assigning shortcut keys to your favorite styles, selecting text, and pressing the key.

3) Keeping the highlight palette open, but un-checking the 'Enabled' checkbox.

But, don't be afraid to try out the live highlighting.  Its potentially a very fast way to apply a lot of different highlights, if that suits your style better.  You can even quickly toggle to the eraser by holding the Command key.

Gordon:

As mentioned to Chuck above, all of the old ways of highlighting are still available, and just as good if not better.  Try out the three ways mentioned above to see what works for you, or try going through the tutorial on highlighting.  What you are describing, the pen highlighting, offers a lot of flexibility, but does require a bit of dexterity to accomplish.  However, all of the other highlighting methods are still available, and you can still easily define an underline style, for instance, and highlight with that using the 'Highlighter' instead of 'Pen'.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi Joel, where is the setting to toggle the highlight pop up palette? It's hiding from me.

thx scott