Accordance Webinars?

Timothy Jenney

We are exploring the possibility of offering training seminars over the web. We'd like to solicit feedback from current users [that's you! :rolleyes: ].

First, there are a number of products out there: Citrix's GoToMeeting, Cisco's WebEx Meeting Center, Yugma Professional, etc. Anyone got any experience with any of these on a Mac? Got any recommendations for us?

Second, we know travel is expensive and getting more so. Would you be interested in attending an Accordance Training Seminar via the web? What features or offerings would make this option most attractive for you?

Thanks [in advance]!

Dr. Tim Jenney

OakTree Software, Inc.

We used WebEx once when doing some training. It worked just fine on both Macs and PCs.

Would you be interested in attending an Accordance Training Seminar via the web?

Are you all considering the concept of an inter-active seminar that would allow some of us who are recent Mac switchers to be able to do the electronic equivalent of raising our hands and being able to ask questions of our instructor?

When I was finishing my degree with Crown College (via their online program), the students were able to post questions to an active queue during our text-based chat sessions. Were it possible to do so during an inter-active seminar with an Accordance instructor, well, that would be most helpful to this visual learner!

Happily Glorifying God,

Daniel Burrow

Pastor for Preaching

Open Heart Baptist Church

Selah, WA

Hi, Daniel!

Thanks for the response!

Yes, we'd like the webinars to be interactive, though we aren't precluding offering webcasts [or podcasts] at some point in the near future either. We will certainly offer chat-type interaction, though we'd prefer to have voice a well. Some companies offer telephone-only voice connections [where each viewer pays his/her own connect charges], others offer true VoIP [voice over internet] that would allow users with mikes [and cameras!] on their computers to connect directly, w/o a telephone.

As DanG mentioned earlier, one of those products is Cisco's WebEx.

Yes, we use WebEx all the time at work. We also used Adobe Connect quite a bit. Personally I've used GoToMeeting. All on my mac.

They all work fine. About the only difference we found between WebEx and Adobe Connect was how well it played video over the shared screen. That probably won't be a problem for you. For very large crowds (more than 100 people) WebEx was better. Otherwise, Adobe Connect was an easier interface, and cheaper.

I would be interested, but I've taken a classroom seminar. Maybe a refresher for new releases?

Patrick

We are exploring the possibility of offering training seminars over the web. We'd like to solicit feedback from current users [that's you! :rolleyes: ].

First, there are a number of products out there: Citrix's GoToMeeting, Cisco's WebEx Meeting Center, Yugma Professional, etc. Anyone got any experience with any of these on a Mac? Got any recommendations for us?

Second, we know travel is expensive and getting more so. Would you be interested in attending an Accordance Training Seminar via the web? What features or offerings would make this option most attractive for you?

Thanks [in advance]!

Dr. Tim Jenney

OakTree Software, Inc.

I can't provide any input on particular web conferencing options.

But I think I would be interested in attending one. I would prefer to attend one in person, but I live in an area of the country that Oak Tree is rarely able to visit (insufficient population density and not very many seminaries/theological schools). The only time an Accordance seminar was held at a manageable travel distance for me, I was not available on the day in question. A webinar is definitely a better choice than no seminar at all.

Perhaps webinars (and/or podcasts, etc.) could be a little shorter and focus on a specific aspect of Accordance. I.E. one on using the Atlas, another on the Timeline, one specifically for Greek and Hebrew scholars (or maybe treat each differently?), etc. I think I have a pretty good grasp of Accordance's basics, and might not want to spend time going over those. But I don't really know how to put the Atlas or the Timeline to good use, and I'm sure there's much I could learn on really studying the Greek and Hebrew.

Lorinda

I think that video podcasts on a specific aspect of Accordance would be fantastic.

But I would also be interested in a webinar, especially targrted at aspecific aspect of Accordance

We use WebEx at work to handle training our customers; it works well. I've used it on both Windows PCs and Macs without problem. They also recently released an iPhone client, which would you give you yet another option.

There are two aspects to this: Webinars are good one-way tools to show off particular aspects/features of Accordance and can serve in a marketing as well as educational capacity.

A more intriguing possibility is setting up individual training courses for groups. The interactive features of products like WebEx would allow you to provide training/seminars with feedback from all the participants. Given the value add of such a session, I think people would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for such a service. Our training sessions typically run 4 hours and allow us to provide hands on, individualized instruction without the cost of an instructor flying to the customer site. Again, I think you could charge a reasonable amount for such a course to recoup the costs and, let's hope, provide a little extra revenue to allow you to keep producing good products.

Robert Floyd

Durham, NC

"We use WebEx at work to handle training our customers; it works well. I've used it on both Windows PCs and Macs without problem. They also recently released an iPhone client, which would you give you yet another option."

Thanks, Robert!

I noticed that WebEx would work on an iPhone too. What a cool possibility! So far, my preference really is WebEx's Meeting Center. I find it interesting that it's been mentioned so often by our users already. We'd really like to serve users like Lorinda [far from any seminary or large city] better. We've also considered tailoring webinars to better serve specific kinds of users: English-only, key number, original language users, etc.

I know feedback is important from teaching online for Regent. Instant feedback, especially with voice and video, would be fantastic for online training! I also suspect that, once we take the plunge, we'll probably find lots of other uses for the system, like highlighting new products.

Good to know you've had positive experience with this kind of training. I may be calling on you to help me in the next couple of months! ;)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Keep it coming!

When you try and come up with a schedule, please keep in mind, that some users of accordance do not live in the same timezone. We europeans would like to have something scheduled so that we can attend too.

1 or 2 PM ET would be fine, I guess.

Sacha

In my full time position as a corporate trainer, I have used several systems. My favorite is InterCall's ConferencePlace. It is full featured allowing questions, raised hands, feedback as to slow down or speed up, and dial in conference calls (800 number). The website is www.conferenceplace.com. They offer a web access that will run on any platform, I have not used the web access, as my company uses PCs, but I am sure it would work wonderfully well. They also offer great technical assistance.

I have used WebEx as well. It works but is not as robust as ConferencePlace from my experience.

If this is something that happens, I would love to join in and learn how to fully utilize Accordance.

This is a brilliant idea. Accordance is rich and deep in features. In my experience, there are more features than I use regularly, so some become rusty. Targeted webinars on specific topics would allow the possibility to refresh less utilized routines.

I've used GoToMeeting with no problems.

Another idea/possibility:

Would it be possible to record the webinars, and then make them available as podcasts or the like?

Lorinda

"Would it be possible to record the webinars, and then make them available as podcasts or the like?"

Lorinda

Hi, Lorinda!

It sure would. [That's one of the things I didn't care for about GoToMeeting: it won't allow us to record it on a Mac. WebEx will, and unlike MS Live Meeting (the base program on revtim's suggestion, ConferencePlace), it feels more Mac-like. I think that's important to our users, the vast majority of whom are using Macs.]

The live training would take place at a set time [yes, Sacha, we could schedule something convenient for our users in Europe]. it would also be limited to a certain number of people, so we can allow interaction [Q&A, feedback, tips, suggestions, etc.] in real time. We'd record the session [with the attendees' permission, of course], then make it available for download.

I am also open to doing regular podcasts on specific topics or modules, perhaps even through Apple's iTunes, but we are trying to take this a step at a time.

I would also be interested. I live in a remote part of West Virginia, which makes attending a typical Accordance seminar a near impossibility when considering church and family responsibilities.

Being a tribal missionary that spends about 10-11 months a year living in the village with nothing more than a sat phone for email, I would love to see these available through something like iTunes! I think that this idea has great potential!

Being a tribal missionary that spends about 10-11 months a year living in the village with nothing more than a sat phone for email, I would love to see these available through something like iTunes! I think that this idea has great potential!

Your situation really touches my heart, Justin. My family took an overseas teaching assignment for a year in an area nowhere near as remote as yours. We were stunned at the paucity of resources available for serious Bible study in Swaziland and the Philippines. The cost of shipping resources into those countries was nearly three times the cost of the books themselves! :(

I think the Accordance platform has great potential in these areas. A simple laptop and a couple of DVDs can carry a wealth of resources for training national ministers. Of course, we'd need to offer resources to the missionaries, like yourself, for training such people. I think podcasts through iTunes would be a wonderful solution.

Bless you!

As DanG mentioned earlier, one of those products is Cisco's WebEx.

hopefully you won't use webex, bottom of the barrel imo (and overpriced).

gotomeeting is ok but adobe is the best at the moment

other than that, I would definitely be interested in accordance webinars

Timothy

Recorded sessions of Morris Proctor's seminars for that other Bible software works very well. I like the idea of recorded sessions that I can adjust to my schedule.

Jack

"Would it be possible to record the webinars, and then make them available as podcasts or the like?"

Lorinda

Hi, Lorinda!

It sure would. [That's one of the things I didn't care for about GoToMeeting: it won't allow us to record it on a Mac. WebEx will, and unlike MS Live Meeting (the base program on revtim's suggestion, ConferencePlace), it feels more Mac-like. I think that's important to our users, the vast majority of whom are using Macs.]

The live training would take place at a set time [yes, Sacha, we could schedule something convenient for our users in Europe]. it would also be limited to a certain number of people, so we can allow interaction [Q&A, feedback, tips, suggestions, etc.] in real time. We'd record the session [with the attendees' permission, of course], then make it available for download.

I am also open to doing regular podcasts on specific topics or modules, perhaps even through Apple's iTunes, but we are trying to take this a step at a time.

I don't care which software you use, but I will be there when you have it.

P

I would be interested in attending. I have already gone through the tutorial CD and I imagine that many others have as well. It would be valuable for me only if it got into some of the advanced features not covered well in the tutorials and if it covered the new features in 8.1

It's obvious we have found a real need here.

So..., we are pleased to announce that will will begin holding webinars in the very near future. :D

We have decided to use WebEx Meeting Center for the first year. They seemed to be the company best suited for our present needs

Our church body recently signed up for MegaMeeting, which is a video conferencing system that allows sharing desktops and presentations, all live. Those of us in the National Office do not reside in the same area. So we can do weekly, daily meetings. There is a monthly fee for 25 seats - we can have as many meetings as we want, simultaneously and as many as we want during the month. If we have our Council meeting (~50), then that month our fee doubles.

We have done two meetings already this month and works great, Mac and Intel and Linux. Only need is for a video camera/mic (~$30). And those of us with Macs have those already built in.

Looks like with the DVD training material online we have some great tools to help us! Thanks Oak Tree for doing this! You've helped me out a ton!

Archived