Dictionary recommendations

Bielikov

I use the Hebrew Lexicons constantly, but once in a while I need to look up a word in English in terms of how it is translated into Hebrew. I know that there are several excellent tools in Accordance, but I am looking for what might be the best dictionary in this category, where I might start with a word in English and search for the possible translations into Hebrew. I have some hard copy books that do this but what is the best electronic resource(s) in this category. Thanks!

This probably isn't fully what you're asking for, but I actually use Strong's when looking up the meaning of proper nouns (names, places).  I'm blessed to have about 15 Hebrew lexicons now, but Strong's always seems to be the fastest and most consistent when it comes to having the meaning of Hebrew names.

Otherwise, if it were just a regular English word like "fire," "knife," "pot," etc. I just search all Tools in the Research Tab, and start clicking down the list of Hebrew lexicons.  I know that's not all that helpful, but I thought I'd throw in the tip regarding Strong's for proper nouns.

I'm sure others here will have better feedback on regular English words.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

You should explore the TEXT command...a new tool in Accordance 13. It is a really powerful way to explore the various English words used to translate a particular Greek or Hebrew lemma assuming you have the MT / LXX database in your library.

• Like 1

NIDOTTE (New international Dictionary of Old Testament and Exegesis) has excellent sections with related words and lists of translations.

• Like 1

Helen, this is a fantastic recommendation. Many, many thanks!

Thanks for all the excellent recommendations. I found the perfect reference, It is Volume IX of The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew. I have just tested it as the other references provided a lot of information about some words, but the Classical Hebrew reference is the most complete, and has links to the rest of the volumes if I want to dig deeper into any particular word. I highly recommend it.

• Like 3