Does Accordance Have a Web App?

Diatheke76

Some Bible softwares have a web app for you to access your library online. Do we have that in Accordance? I know Logos and WORDsearch have that.

Thanks!

They do not have it currently. I have asked for this too, but I doubt they will ever offer it.

• Like 1

Ever is a very long time. I think we will eventually get there, but we have not set a deadline for it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ever is a very long time. I think we will eventually get there, but we have not set a deadline for it.

That alone is hopeful.

As an occasional Chromebook user, I'd love to see it. It would be nice to see it as a PWA that could run offline and online.

Would be great to see some kind of web access to purchased resources from Accordance. It doesn't sound like this is going to happen anytime soon. Wish it would. And/Or perhaps make it possible to have license access to resources on more than five pc's/devices. 

Over time have upgraded a PC/Mac or two or three, bought a phone or two or three, bought a tablet or two or three, bought a laptop or two or three. Only with Accordance have I had to uninstall the application on various pc's/laptops/devices/phones,etc. (though these pc's/devices still work fine and I use them on occasion when I haven't given them to others) due to the Accordance five pc/device license restriction. Don't have this limiting issue with other Bible softwares I've owned/own. Plus I can fetch resources purchased from these Bible software companies and view/work with them on the web. Plus, increasingly, publishers are providing online access to Bible resources/tools. Check out esv.org as an example. Only with Accordance do I have limits/restrictions.

So, perhaps Accordance can think through the trends, and/or work/rework the five pc/device restriction, and/or work on some kind of web access. Fantastic product. Just wish I could use it wherever I want on whatever I want.

I only have Accorcance (11.2.5 which is from January 2017) on ONE device: AMD A9 -equipped laptop. I don't have restrictions for USE.

As for a Web App, I don't wish for it, better to put developemnt efforts on where it is due! Users may wish for free things not even wanting to pay the actual cost for it. Noticing that no-one suggested they'd pay for it. When I make important suggestions, I see to that I tell all what I'm willing to pay!

Also: This was posted in the wrong subforum and should thus be moved to website complaints: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/forum/23-forum-comments-suggestions-help/

Accordance is not restricted: You can install it on an as lousy computer as exists!

I understand that there are people who use the desktop software intensely, they would not be satisfied by a webb app. Whether a subset of features would be enough would be a matter of diverse opinions.

The current setup is perfected!

• Like 1

I only have Accorcance (11.2.5 which is from January 2017) on ONE device: AMD A9 -equipped laptop. I don't have restrictions for USE.

As for a Web App, I don't wish for it, better to put developemnt efforts on where it is due! Users may wish for free things not even wanting to pay the actual cost for it. Noticing that no-one suggested they'd pay for it. When I make important suggestions, I see to that I tell all what I'm willing to pay!

Also: This was posted in the wrong subforum and should thus be moved to website complaints: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/forum/23-forum-comments-suggestions-help/

Accordance is not restricted: You can install it on an as lousy computer as exists!

I understand that there are people who use the desktop software intensely, they would not be satisfied by a webb app. Whether a subset of features would be enough would be a matter of diverse opinions.

The current setup is perfected!

I would be happy to pay a small fee for a web app. Maybe they should set it up as a crowd funded and see how much people would be willing to give for the benefit and use that money to grab a web dev to do the work so as not to cannibalize their current development of computer and mobile apps. The Android app is a nice addition, but it is way behind iOS. Also, would love to see built-in syncing instead of using 3rd party so would rather they spend time on that instead of a web app. But I would love a web app.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Given the recent activity of the apps stores "pulling a Parler" - it would be helpful even if a "bare bones" functionality web version were available.

Customers nervous about app may choose to invest in the competing Bible software platform since it already has a web version that would remain functional.

Yet this site also needs to have have redundant ways of storing data immune to an AWS style shutdown. 

Edited by Markster
  • Like 1

To help keep up with web development and hosting costs, I’d be willing to pay an affordable annual fee for an Accordance Web App. If Accordance threw in a bonus where Web App Subscribers also received each major release of the full Accordance engine (14, 15, etc.), that’d be the icing on the cake. If I wanted the new modules in the new Accordance packages, then I’d simply Custom Upgrade to get the new modules.

Accordance would still sell the engine as an upgrade fee as they do now, but I’d be willing to give them an annual donation to be able to access my Accordance library on the web, and if I knew my version of Accordance always stayed current with the subscription, I’d do it.

• Like 1

A web version of Accordance was a big part of discussion in the meetings I participated in last week. Stay tuned. 

• Like 4

It’d be nice to have a mobile app that doesn’t require you to download all your library into your phone. I just upgraded my iPhone 6S Plus 64 Gigs to a new iPhone 12 Pro 256. I was over due for a phone upgrade! It’s nice to have the extra space, but not having to use like 30 Gigs of space just for Accordance would be even nicer. Anyway, it’s just a thought

Edited by Diatheke76

A web version of Accordance was a big part of discussion in the meetings I participated in last week. Stay tuned. 

This is a bunch of work for sure. I am neither for it or against it especially, though I doubt I would use it much. But in order to ensure each person only accesses what they own is work. Then there are issues of running queries and having enough power behind it to support concurrent queries by a bunch of users. That said it might provide some interesting collaborative options. Though I don't know what you have in mind I'd be interested to see the initial feature set. And of course there is on-going care and feeding. I sometimes feel Oaktree is repeatedly asked for new platform support, requiring not insubstantial effort and yet we still pay a single license. While as a beneficiary I am pleased with the result I wonder how long it can last, so I have some sympathy with other's comments regarding subscription or payment for the service.

That said, there are likely other features I would use more that you may be considering in connection with this. For example some sort of research notebook that is shareable would be a nice feature. Think a kind of biblical studies Jupyter notebook running Accordance queries - and integration of notes and supporting data queries. A Python client library would be nice so I could smooth the path to processing results in other tools would be great, but now I'm dreaming.

Thx

Δ

• Like 1

Thx

Δ

I noticed the name change to "Ruby Dan" (Λύχνις Δαν). Nice

I've probably paid more than my first car for the content in my Accordance Library over the last 15 years at this point (plus a semi-annual "subscription" of sorts to upgrade Accordance regularly).  It would be shocking to pay a subscription fee on top of that.  If you wanted to do that just for access to a "web app" I guess that would make sense, because I imagine many folks (myself included) have little desire for that anyway and don't really wish to subsidize it / sacrifice continued improvement in the native apps with our content or app fees.  That said, the Internet already provides a ton of free Bible and commentary content via the web. I can't imagine how Accordance (or anyone) could even come close to recouping their costs in that space at this point.

This is a bunch of work for sure. I am neither for it or against it especially, though I doubt I would use it much. But in order to ensure each person only accesses what they own is work. Then there are issues of running queries and having enough power behind it to support concurrent queries by a bunch of users. That said it might provide some interesting collaborative options. Though I don't know what you have in mind I'd be interested to see the initial feature set. And of course there is on-going care and feeding. I sometimes feel Oaktree is repeatedly asked for new platform support, requiring not insubstantial effort and yet we still pay a single license. While as a beneficiary I am pleased with the result I wonder how long it can last, so I have some sympathy with other's comments regarding subscription or payment for the service.

That said, there are likely other features I would use more that you may be considering in connection with this. For example some sort of research notebook that is shareable would be a nice feature. Think a kind of biblical studies Jupyter notebook running Accordance queries - and integration of notes and supporting data queries. A Python client library would be nice so I could smooth the path to processing results in other tools would be great, but now I'm dreaming.

Thx

Δ

• Like 3

[i come to this discussion as a relatively new user of modern Bible software, and as a part-time Bible college student with some experience in commercial technology development.]

The difference goes beyond 'one more platform to support'. With the trend moving towards lightweight mobile computing, there will be a push towards using multiple devices simultaneously at a single session. People can't bring a 22-inch monitor to their coffeeshop, but phone + tablet + laptop is certainly possible. They might have a Bible opened to the Greek on the phone, English reference material on their cheap tablet, and notes on a small laptop. Being able to sync automatically across the devices would be a huge win for usability. Even without live-syncing across multiple devices, it would be nice to be able to move from the PC at home to a phone on the bus without having to constantly keep track of which page you've read up to.

Assuming the codebase is layered properly (which would be sensible given the 3 existing platforms Accordance supports), I suspect that the biggest hurdle with adding a web app would be server issues.

User data would be in the cloud, which means either Accordance hosting it themselves, or going with a third-party provider such as Amazon. Data volume isn't as big an issue as it might first appear because they only need to maintain one instance of each resource in the cloud, and have the user accounts store references to those resources - if they have a million users, they don't need to store a million copies of the ESV, for example. However, if current download speeds are anything to go by, their current servers would feel intolerably slow in the role of web app servers. Going to third-party cloud servers makes sense tech-wise, but that involves considerations about things such as what to do if the owners of the servers decide unilaterally to shut down the app.

Nevertheless, a web app is almost expected these days. Having good device apps across iOS, Windows & Android allows Accordance to push this out somewhat (a year or two, perhaps?). Being able to use DropBox to link multiple devices to a common workspace may also enable some of the benefits a web app. But with Accordance's major alternative Bible software provider already offering a web app, this is already a significant point of consideration for people deciding which Bible software provider to pick.

• Like 1

I don't disagree that greater cloud syncing and multiple device support would be great.  I use multiple devices in my sessions today — often with laptop and iPad — depending if I'm at home, or my church office, or off at seminary — and not trying to be critical, but even the most basic things like syncing bookmarks and notes in Accordance is a good bit behind the industry.  Not to even mention actual support for moving rapidly between two devices and maintaining state, etc. 

I just don't believe that a web solution offers any value over proper native solutions (for me) — web solutions are by their nature low-fidelity UX versus native apps.   Honestly, I would be much more excited about true cloud support at this stage with Accordance hosted servers (which would be useful for future web support as well), rather then current file syncing that is Dropbox only (and if you look at the forums, you will see the general disdain for that Dropbox only solution).  

If this was Apple or Microsoft with the resources they have available where they could build a web solution as a loss leading sort of thing, I would be all for it.  But I know what it's like in a limited resources organization.  You have to pick and choose - and if Accordance had to take on the large task of a web implementation, it would mean the slowdown or standstill of other efforts (or significant expenditure).  I personally have no use for a web app.  I've spent a lot of money on Accordance.  The questions is there a bunch of people like me or are there a bunch of people who would spend more money if there were a web app?  Because at the end of the day, Accordance needs to pay its folks and stay in business.  And I very much want them to do that, because I really like Accordance!  Almost all of the Bible software companies have gone out of business at this stage — and while the one remaining competitor has web, there is no way I would willingly switch at this point for a legion of reasons.   I don't work for Accordance — so I'm not sure if I'm in the majority or not.  They may look at their data and see that they overwhelmingly need a web app... in which case, they should!

[i come to this discussion as a relatively new user of modern Bible software, and as a part-time Bible college student with some experience in commercial technology development.]

The difference goes beyond 'one more platform to support'. With the trend moving towards lightweight mobile computing, there will be a push towards using multiple devices simultaneously at a single session. People can't bring a 22-inch monitor to their coffeeshop, but phone + tablet + laptop is certainly possible. They might have a Bible opened to the Greek on the phone, English reference material on their cheap tablet, and notes on a small laptop. Being able to sync automatically across the devices would be a huge win for usability. Even without live-syncing across multiple devices, it would be nice to be able to move from the PC at home to a phone on the bus without having to constantly keep track of which page you've read up to.

Assuming the codebase is layered properly (which would be sensible given the 3 existing platforms Accordance supports), I suspect that the biggest hurdle with adding a web app would be server issues.

User data would be in the cloud, which means either Accordance hosting it themselves, or going with a third-party provider such as Amazon. Data volume isn't as big an issue as it might first appear because they only need to maintain one instance of each resource in the cloud, and have the user accounts store references to those resources - if they have a million users, they don't need to store a million copies of the ESV, for example. However, if current download speeds are anything to go by, their current servers would feel intolerably slow in the role of web app servers. Going to third-party cloud servers makes sense tech-wise, but that involves considerations about things such as what to do if the owners of the servers decide unilaterally to shut down the app.

Nevertheless, a web app is almost expected these days. Having good device apps across iOS, Windows & Android allows Accordance to push this out somewhat (a year or two, perhaps?). Being able to use DropBox to link multiple devices to a common workspace may also enable some of the benefits a web app. But with Accordance's major alternative Bible software provider already offering a web app, this is already a significant point of consideration for people deciding which Bible software provider to pick.

• Like 4

Personally I don't know what value a web app would bring - if it provided more functionality than the iOS one then I would use it (as the iOS app doesn't really work for me - I know it does for many) - my main concern is Accordance stays in business and continues to develop the macOS/Windows app and continues to bring out new and improved modules

• Like 2

A few quick responses to some of the above discussion.

• Having a web client for Accordance would not be in place of native versions. It would be for the person wanting to access his or her library efficiently on a device that perhaps is not under that user's ownership. We also service a lot of schools, and some students who are in the military are assigned devices on which they are not allowed to install 3rd party software. Accordance on the web would be of tremendous benefit for these students. A web version would also be an option on Chromebooks even though our Android version will supposedly run on a Chromebook (I don't have a Chromebook to test this).
  • We've said nothing about subscriptions. If we were ever to offer subscriptions because there are users who would prefer a subscription over ownership of content, that would need to be provided as an alternative method of access and not as a sole means. And the idea of a subscription has nothing to do with whether we offer a web-based version of Accordance--at least not according to any discussions with which I've been involved.
  • We are exploring better syncing options and syncing more features (such as Library and preferences) across devices. We realize Dropbox is problematic for some.
  • Yes, I would love to see a Linux version of Accordance, too. However, we don't have enough of a Linux user base to justify Linux development. We have quite a few users, though, who would take advantage of a web-based version. And, for that matter, Linux users could access a web-based version of Accordance, too. I know it's a chicken and a egg thing: we don't have Linux Accordance users because we don't offer Accordance for Linux. But it's not just us. There would have to be a much larger shift to Linux systems with other major software applications (not just Bible software) for it to receive enough adoption of Linux to justify our development. I have also given up on Accordance for Commodore 64.
  • Like 5

C64 is dead, but Amica is still alive. A web version would be great, but I think a this is against the security thinking of the Linux users. So contra-productive. 

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 2

The one advantage to a Web client I can imagine is that it could also be the basis for offering a limited preview of resources for sale on the Accordance website.

As for Linux, the most I can imagine Accordance doing is looking at whether it would be practical to make their program more compatible with Wine.

I wish Accordance had developed a Linux version instead of a Windows version. Then Windows users could have used it in a VM, and Linux users would have been in heaven. But, I only bought Accordance and joined the forums after it came out in Windows. Otherwise, I would have advocated for a Linux version instead of a Windows one.

I am sure that a Linux version would sell a lot better than some believe. I come to this from the perspective of global south Christianity and missions.

Michel

• Like 2

I wish Accordance had developed a Linux version instead of a Windows version. Then Windows users could have used it in a VM, and Linux users would have been in heaven. But, I only bought Accordance and joined the forums after it came out in Windows. Otherwise, I would have advocated for a Linux version instead of a Windows one.

I am sure that a Linux version would sell a lot better than some believe. I come to this from the perspective of global south Christianity and missions.

Michel

With WSL you can basically create a VM without much work. It just comes with Windows - well you have to download the ISO you want but otherwise. I have one with Ubuntu in it running MariaDB actually. You don't need VirtualBox or anything like that.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I got a motherboard that is upgradable to 128 GB RAM so I could run various VMs. I have 32 GB right now.

Have you seen the post, “Call me crazy, but Windows 11 could run on Linux,” at https://www.computerworld.com/article/3438856/call-me-crazy-but-windows-11-could-run-on-linux.html?If Accordance had gone with a Linux version, it may have ended up running natively on Windows anyways. Or, their Windows version may end up running on Linux. It does sound crazy.

Michel

• Like 1