Text browser dividing line creates confusing effect

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I realize this might not be considered a bug but ...

See below:

post-32023-0-57275900-1576209562_thumb.jpg

The heavy horizontal line separates the short name from the controls for that text, and creates an odd impression looking over at the results. It has the tendency to create a dividing line through the pericope rather than below it. Were there heavier lines above the text name extending all the way across then the lighter line would just look like a separator between the name that the controls. But really it seems that the simplest way to create a more consistent look would be to move the dividing above the short name so the separation would be between each text and its control and the next text and its control.

Thx

D

• Like 1

That must be a Mac thing?  My text browser has never looked like that.  It looks like this (attached).  But for what it's worth, that would definitely annoy me, and I agree it should be corrected.

post-35231-0-98566000-1576221514_thumb.jpg

No, my Mac is the same as TYA's.. . is it the contrast on your screen that needs a slight adjustment?

post-5536-0-44737300-1576228991_thumb.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

That's interesting. Mine looks like Daniel's screenshot and I've always found it confusing.

Now I want to know how to get the long horizontal dividing lines like Paul and TYA have.

• Like 1

Paul and TYA, It looks like you guys have different background colors on you panes. TYA, yellow, Paul grey. I cannot figure out how to do that. I can't see where a Text Pane display control is for that. I looked on my Windows machine and there it is present but it's paler than you guys have. And again my background is white. I've messed with a few settings, any ideas ?

Changing contrast on either Mac or PC monitor did not help. On Mac it seems I could only raise the contrast and that made no improvement. And then other lines started to wash out.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

In case it matters this is on OSX 10.12.6 - Sierra.

Thx

D

Guys, go to prefs / text display /  background (at bottom right). ( I have chosen custom colours, apple crayons, mercury, second top left).  Don't forget hit 'use as default', otherwise it will revert back to what you have. 

If that doesn't work try the first cog in your text browser and set text pane display / customise theme and then save as default.

If you use a custom workspace you'll need resave that under 'save as'.

Thanx. I tried the cog wheel in the text browser for two adjacent texts setting the background to parchment, but that did not reveal the dividing line. It just looks like a solid block of the background color.

So I tried the prefs->text display-> backg and same effect. No dividing line just a different background colour.

Thx

D

Yes, I've been playing with the background colours and its had no real affect on the dividing line. Sorry the custom background customs didn't work for you. I'm not wanting lead you on a wild goose chase, but if you have a Mac have you tried calibrating your display profiles, and if its a third party monitor to tweak the contrast.  I was using an external monitor for a while and I noticed that many of the fine lines were lost against the backgrounds.

edit:

p.s but on thinking about, if it were your monitors then most likely wouldn't see it my screenshot either. So I would probably scrap that route. Sorry I've not been much help, it might be time to reach out tech support.

Hi Paul,

I'm testing on two set ups. One is a 2009 iMac - the integrated 27" display - no external display. I saw the profiles but haven't tried them yet. The second is windows laptop with external monitor. There the dividing lines are visible on both, though not very prominent, but yet clear enough. I played with contrast and brightness on the external display but it made no great difference. I also played with Windows contrast support but that was really about contrast based themes and they just altered so much I went back to what I had. In any case I was only use Windows for reference - it basically works on Windows - and changing the bg from white to say parchment there does make the lines stand out a bit better, as does Newsprint which it looks like you are using.

I may try the profiles but that will have to wait until later.

Thanx for your thoughts on this.

Thx

D

Paul and TYA, It looks like you guys have different background colors on you panes.

I only recently modified background colors.  But even when I had everything in plain white, my lines appeared properly, as in my screenshot.  So my particular coloring makes no difference on the issue you're having.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

I only recently modified background colors.  But even when I had everything in plain white, my lines appeared properly, as in my screenshot.  So my particular coloring makes no difference on the issue you're having.

Yeah and that's how I have it on Windows and I can see it. I suspect a Mac bug related to the OS version but I am not 100% sure.

@ OSchrock, what OSX version are you running ? I'm on 10.12.6 Sierra.

Thx

D

@ OSchrock, what OSX version are you running ? I'm on 10.12.6 Sierra.

Thx

D

I'm on 10.15.1 Catalina and Accordance version 13.0.2

Changing the background color doesn't make a difference for me either.

Oh well ... there goes another good theory. Thanx though.

Thx

D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...