commentary for Hebrews

Tim Hall

Hey all, I am getting ready to dive into Hebrews in 2020 in my church's Wednesday night Bible study/prayer meeting. I would like to get an additional commentary for the book (I have Tyndale complete, O'brien in Pillar, Guthrie in NIVAC). I checked bestcommentaries.com but Lane (WBC) is out of my price range, so I think I have settled on F. F. Bruce's NICNT but am also considering Luke Timothy Johnson's NT Library.

Thoughts?

Edited by Timothy Hall
  • Like 1

Ellingworth's NIGTC volume is excellent, if Greek is part of your preparation process (and even if not). Raymond Brown wrote the volume in Bible Speaks Today; I've always benefitted from his perspective. 

David A. deSilva's commentary (Perseverance in Gratitude: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews) is one of the best on Hebrews, in my opinion. It's not in Accordance but worth checking out in print.

And R.T. France (one of my favorite commentators of all) wrote the Revised Expositor's Bible Commentary volume, though that volume is unfortunately only available as a (not inexpensive) set in Accordance.

(Agreed that Bruce is a good one to be reading.)

• Like 1

LTJ is dynamite. I suggest reading everything he does. I'd recommend Cockerll's new-ish NICNT volume and Attridge (Hermeneia). These three are my go-to for Hebrews. Abram's recommendations are great, too. I've used all of them (along with Witherington). But of them all, these three are my first choice. If you're doing greek, though, Ellingworth is nearly required. 

Also, don't neglect monographs. There are many, many great monographs on Hebrews, but Guthrie's Discourse Analysis and David Moffitt's Atonement and the Logic of Resurrection in the Epistle to the Hebrews are definitely at the top of the pile. 

Yes, I'd go with LTJ in NTL!

Another one to consider, though in printed format is Montefiore - his volume is from the same time as Bruce's 1st Ed in the '60s.

I have a group on FB where to discuss commentaries, please ALL: PM me for the link, all welcome to join! (The link is also to be found in my signature):

am also considering Luke Timothy Johnson's NT Library.

Thoughts?