Festive/Christmas greetings and a short, ok LONG, list of 2020 hopes

Leopold Green

Please do another e-academy, I didn’t take part this year - partly because of time difference and partly as wasn’t sure how useful I’d find it - but having paid and started watching the films on Vimeo I have learnt so much stuff it is unreal!!! 

I know that there won’t be more ‘lighting the lamp’ podcasts but could you look at a new series featuring a selection of users (professors and students, pastor's, rabbis, people interested from a faith perspective but also people interested from a historical and/or cultural angle) and how they use Accordance. A variety of different bible studies and how accordance is used/allows these studies.

Any chance of a visit to England (beyond London - say Manchester or Sheffield)?

Upgrades to iOS to bring it closer to desktop functionality (research, stacks syncing, real time instant details, construct searches)...

Please can we have the fourth volume of Context of Scripture and there are a few volumes of Hermeneia to be added now

I know Context of Scripture can be seen as a modern replacement for ANET but there is considerable differences in the material - also is it possible to have the supplementary ANET (Ancient Near East in Pictures Relating to the Old Testament)? I found a copy recently and although the reproduction of the pictures is not ‘cutting edge’ the selection contained so much I hadn’t seen before. It is heartbreaking to think how many of these items have been destroyed or stolen during the Iraq and Syrian wars and by the evil cult of ISIS. 

Please can we have Robert Altar’s Hebrew Bible in Accordance (I know there are several threads for this)

Please can we have Daniel Matt’s translation and commentary on the Zohar

Please can we have the JPS republication of The Legends of the Jews (the 2003, David Stern edtion).

Thanks again and all the best this year’s festive season

Sorry for such a long list - it is a tribute to how amazing Accordance is...

Leopold
  • Like 4

Please can we have Daniel Matt’s translation and commentary on the Zohar

Please can we have the JPS republication of The Legends of the Jews (the 2003, David Stern edtion).

+1

And while you mention Zohar, please work that in with other Sefaria.org Hebrew / Aramaic texts to add to the Rabbinics collection in Accordance.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

+1

And while you mention Zohar, please work that in with other Sefaria.org Hebrew / Aramaic texts to add to the Rabbinics collection in Accordance.

yes - I should have thought of that

...a new series featuring a selection of users (professors and students, pastor's, rabbis, people interested from a faith perspective but also people interested from a historical and/or cultural angle) and how they use Accordance. A variety of different bible studies and how accordance is used/allows these studies....

Leopold

+1

I always learn some new and practical tips from videos of people using Accordance in real life situations.

• Like 1

I know, I learnt so much from Lighting the Lamp when it showed examples which made sense in “real life”... and just reading some of the posts on the forum makes me realise there are so many people here who could do a brilliant 20 minute podcast about how and why they use Accordance as they do and each one will be unique and inspiring...

A few things I can comment on here...

• eAcademy more than met our hopes and expectations, so I imagine we will offer one in 2020, though there's nothing to be announced at this time. I'm glad you've found the videos beneficial!
  • We are discussing the continuance of Lighting the Lamp but with a very different format.
  • We have reached an agreement to bring the fourth volume of the Context of Scripture series to Accordance. No release date yet, though.
  • You can assume we will have the new Hermeneia volumes sometime sooner rather than later.
  • Like 2

Thanks Rick!!! 

Concerning Sefaria: what would I gain if I have it in Accordance? Sefaria is free with the exception of terumah.

So why should I buy it from Accordance. There will probably never be the same set of texts in Accordance as in Safaria. I do not blame either side hide, we all know the history. 

Personaly I would prefer to see the German list and at last one tagged German bible (Schlachter, Menge 2020 oder Luther21 as these are the most actual translations). 

The Brill works are more important and the works of David Flusser would be great

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by markusvonkaenel

I think the benefit is simply having them in one place so they can be included in research, provide greater congruence, etc., and massively extend the rabbinic content in Accordance - that said I am always thankful for Sefaria, as with Accordance, to be able to carry such a library everywhere, available at a click, on your phone/iPad is surely one of the 21st Century's Proof of God (it would be fascinating to do this seriously - a new proofs of God)

It isn't going to happen and I agree with you that for people who study in contemporary languages other than English should be a priority

• Like 1

Concerning Sefaria: what would I gain if I have it in Accordance?

For me, the answer is twofold: 1) I may not always have internet access, so having the texts locally (i.e. on my computer) is always preferable to me.  2) The ability to cross-search words or phrases in other texts that I have in Accordance, to do lexical analyses, and such.  (Especially as Accordance hopefully makes a true literal search between the whitespaces available--one of my ongoing requests).

Other programs I have, included Bar-Ilan type databases, and even Sefaria itself (online), do have the ability to cross-search among all their texts, but the problem is their databases don't include many of our ancestors' writings: Ketuvim Netzarim, DSS, Peshitta Tanakh, Apocrypha, pseudipegrapha, and so on.  Those, of course, don't fit within the Rabbinic / traditionalist perspective.

But Accordance either does have the latter, or at least allows for User Import (um... when it's working properly), so that we can put those texts into Accordance.  Yophi!

And Accordance apparently isn't afraid or opposed to having some of the former--as the current Rabbinics bundle proves--so Accordance is closer to bridging the gap, in my mind, than some of these other programs or databases.  Thus I say to Accordance, "More rabbinic texts please!"  And my assumption is that without tagging the texts, they would actually be very easy to provide.

But I don't know what you mean by "we all know the history."

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2