Hebrew Cantillation Search

Gedalya

How can I search for two "zakef gadol" cantillation marks that appear one after the other?

For example  וְהָי֕וּ לַעֲבֹ֕ד (Nu. 7:5)

Joel,

From  where do I get the "zakef gadol" cantillation mark??

How do I enter the "zakef gadol" cantillation in the construct that you created?   

I would use the Window menu -> Character Palette.  You can see the characters (and click on them to insert them), and if a keyboard shortcut is available to enter the character, it will be listed there as well for future faster use.

The Character Palette (over the icon and over the search menu) is not available on Mac, for use it there and also not for the Research which I requested before to add this.

Hi Joel,

I changed the "Within" from 1 to 2 and got many more results!  28 results!

Edited by Gordon

• 3 months later...

I am also trying to do a search for a cantillation mark (merkha kephula). But when the "Enter single character search" box is open, the menu items are greyed out, so I cannot bring up the character pallette. And even for those cantillation marks (of which this is not one) that have keyboard shortcuts listed---e.g., for simple merkha, alt-0182---I cannot figure out how to enter them in in character search box. I'd appreciate help.

I gave this a try and noticed that some of the marks do not display after they are chosen. The following example looks for two "revia."

post-35053-0-87861900-1586884083_thumb.jpg

While nothing is displayed in the "char" field (BUG?), the search does return the correct results

post-35053-0-83853500-1586884148_thumb.jpg

However, I cannot find any way to search multiple instances of a mark (like a "revia") in the same word, for example in Deut. 29:28 we have the following example:

post-35053-0-27042900-1586884266_thumb.jpg

Is there a way to search for occurrences like these?

Harvey:

It can be tricky to pull up the character palette within the dialog.  I recommend you just leave it blank, hitting OK, and then using the character palette to enter the character into its box in the construct.

Mike:

The dialog says you can use leading spaces to see overstrike characters, which helps solve the rendering issue you describe.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to specify that the mark occurs twice within a single word, sorry.

• Like 1

Harvey:

It can be tricky to pull up the character palette within the dialog.  I recommend you just leave it blank, hitting OK, and then using the character palette to enter the character into its box in the construct.

Mike:

The dialog says you can use leading spaces to see overstrike characters, which helps solve the rendering issue you describe.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to specify that the mark occurs twice within a single word, sorry.

Note: I had not noticed the dialog text because you cannot pull up the character map while the dialog box is open i.e. I had already closed the dialog box when entering the characters. 

It would be very nice to have Accordance permit searches for character sequences within a word (both for the vowels and the cancellation marks). 

Thank you. And with your suggestion I was able to get the mercha kephulah character in the search box and complete my search.