Copying Hebrew text from Accordance 13.0.2 to Microsoft Word

EricC

When copying from the Windows Accordance app to Microsoft Word in Windows, something is not right.

This was done with Accordance 13.0.2 on Windows 10 Home (v. 1803) installed on a VirtualBox VM on a Mac. I tried to copy some Hebrew from Devotions on the Hebrew Bible (https://accordance.bible/link/read/Devotions_on_HB#261). The Hebrew I was trying to copy is this:

הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא חֲשָׁבָהּ לְאַבְרָם לִזְכוּת וְלִצְדָקָה עַל הָאֲמָנָה שֶׁהֶאֱמִין בּוֹ:

post-3736-0-55007700-1578039334_thumb.jpg

I was pasting it into Word 2003 (11.5604.5606). (I know that's an ancient version of Word, so that may be the problem.) Here's how the Hebrew came out:

post-3736-0-16697200-1578039547_thumb.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the text from the Mac Accordance app:

post-3736-0-54791000-1578039969_thumb.png

And it pasted into Nisus Writer Pro on the Mac looking just the same:

post-3736-0-95372700-1578040014_thumb.png

If it works properly for others of you using newer versions of Word, then probably that's the problem. But if others can duplicate this error with those newer Word versions, then there may be a bug somewhere.

• Like 1

Copy to the newest Mac Word (Office insider fast (pre Beta version)):post-32723-0-44207900-1578041240_thumb.png

shows:

post-32723-0-25683900-1578041285_thumb.png

Different, but also not correct.

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

I still use Word 2007, and Hebrew / Aramaic text invariably gets "mangled" whenever I copy and paste it into Word--primarily if I'm pasting more than just one word.  This has been a terrible pain for me for many years.  I'm not sure if it relates to your specific issue, but in short, I cannot use Word 2007 for Hebrew or Aramaic.

• Like 1

I'm able to reproduce in Word 2013, and the Hebrew becomes identical to Accordance when I change the font size in Word so that it is small enough that all Hebrew fits on one line.  To me, this says any problem is with word wrapping in MS Word, and is not due to a bug in Accordance.

Can any of you verify this finding?  Keep in mind that I don't read Hebrew, so I'm just looking at the glyphs from a purely pictorial standpoint.

Silas, I want to clarify that the problems I've had with Hebrew and MS Word go back many years, long before I was using Accordance.  My problems are most certainly not caused by, or rather, specific to Accordance.  I only added my post to show Fabian that I also struggle with Hebrew / Aramaic in Word in general--but not with specific regards to Accordance.

• Like 1

Eric and Fabian, I'm afraid I'm not seeing the problem you are reporting.  It can be a bit odd trying to display Hebrew content within a left-to-right paragraph, but both of your screenshots look correct to me.  The Hebrew can be read on each line right-to-left, in order as you go top-to-bottom.  I can't even imagine a way to handle the Hebrew any differently without messing up the word order.  If either of you still think there is an issue, can you post what the error is, or better yet, what you think it should look like?

Also, to agree with what Silas said, even if you think there is a problem (of which I remain unconvinced), it seems to only be with MS Word and its rendering, not Accordance's export.  This can be confirmed by adjusting the font size or document width such that it appears on one line, and then it is even more plainly clearly correct.

• Like 2

in order as you go top-to-bottom. 

Thanks. Yes so it works perfect. Sorry for my confusion.

• Like 1