Synoptic Gospel parallels requests

mgvh

I regularly consult a synoptic gospels parallel in my work. When I'm working with a specific text, I do know that the Info window provides links to the synoptic parallels, but I most often want to see the Greek text (and an English translation) laid out in parallel columns. Accordance can do this and offers a number of resources:

• Aland's Synopsis of the Four Gospels parallel is probably the most used one
  • Robertson's Gospel Harmony
  • Huck & Lietzmann's Synoptic Parallels (oddly, this has to be opened separately. It cannot be accessed in a parallels tab by switching to it from one of the other two parallels)

The problem is that these are not easily navigable.

• One can search for Title, Title Number, or References which is helpful, but limited. E.g., let's say I want to find the passages that deal with Jesus' crucifixion. The Title Number doesn't help. I may not know the reference. So I search for "crucifixion" in Title, but the results I get are dependent on how the pericope has been labelled. I would get different results if I look for "cross."
  • The other navigation tool is the the small window in the upper right, but it takes a lot of scrolling to move around to other pericopes.
  • Another problem: If I open to a specific text, there is no way to way to navigate to the prior or following pericope.

Request:

• Provide navigation buttons that let me go to prior/next pericope.
  • Provide a table of contents outline that can be opened on the left (like with tools and books) or a navigation box that can pop up (like the one in lower right with biblical texts). Aland has a full outline of 18 sections which are each divided into subsections.

Another request: Provide the front material. There is a lot of helpful information in Aland that does not appear to be available.

Thanks for considering this.

(Disclosure: Logos isn't perfect either. It does have have a navigable Table of Contents and does allow moving to prior/subsequent sections, but it doesn't have a way to display both Greek and English like Accordance does. That's important. I'm trying to do everything in Accordance, however, and that's why I'm asking.)

• Like 5

Request:

• Provide navigation buttons that let me go to prior/next pericope.
  • Provide a table of contents outline that can be opened on the left (like with tools and books) or a navigation box that can pop up (like the one in lower right with biblical texts). Aland has a full outline of 18 sections which are each divided into subsections.

Another request: Provide the front material. There is a lot of helpful information in Aland that does not appear to be available.

Thanks for considering this.

(Disclosure: Logos isn't perfect either. It does have have a navigable Table of Contents and does allow moving to prior/subsequent sections, but it doesn't have a way to display both Greek and English like Accordance does. That's important. I'm trying to do everything in Accordance, however, and that's why I'm asking.)

I second this! I've often had the same thoughts trying to use the parallel texts for the Gospels. I'm doing some research right now on the Sermon on the Mount and these issues come up regularly! Thanks for making the suggestion, and thanks to the Accordance team for taking it into consideration!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I searched for searching Parallels and ended up here. I suppose the really counter-intuitive thing about the Parallels UI is that there is no search box in the titles. It never occurred to me to search in Titles mode.

Maybe make this work more like a book, where the Titles can be searched inside the list and have the regular search box work like it does in a reference list?

• Like 2

An actual synopsis is all about the line breaks lining up across columns. In the end, the only actual gospel synopsis solution will be for Accordance to publish a tool replicating the Aland synopsis. have a look at the Q volume of the Hermeneia series to see how it should look, but then the text isn't tagged.  :(

• Like 2

I'd love to see Accordance refine the parallels module on the Gospels. +100

• 1 year later...

I would be really happy if Robertson's Harmony could be scrolled to the next or previous pericope. AND if the pericopes could be listed in a side column like with some other tools, so that we could just click on them instead of searching. 

Thanks 

• 3 months later...

I am just running into this issue as well. Has any progress been made on this topic so that the Harmony tool will follow the main text that I am working with. As has been stated, Logos does do this and it would be really helpful to have this in Accordance.

• Like 1