Searching within a commentary

pbgroover

How do I narrow down a search to only one commentary in a set, and list all the results, preferablly in an interactive list?

I can use research, but that lists all the results for the commentaries in a series, so if I want to search for example "kingdom" in Douglas Moo's Romans commentary and use Research, it lists 2,132 hits, and I have to then use the scroll bar to find the Roman's section. Is it possible here to just keep the Roman's commentary selection and refine this list with further search criteria? 

Alternatively, I can open the NICNT resource and search English content "Kingdom", this interestingly shows 2,022 hits as opposed to 2,132 hits, I then use the Contents for the series, open the Romans section and select next hit, and then move from hit to hit, which doesn't seem the best way to quickly survey the results. This option is therefore less 'list friendly' than the Research option, but it does give options for refining the search by adding further search criteria, although it still searches all of NICNT rather than just Moo's Romans. 

Am I missing another way to search resources which combines the best of both these options, so as to isolate for example just Moo's Romans commentary and list the results of a search in an interactive list with the option to further refine the search?

The "Search in a Tool" Tutorial lack this point, Also the "Getting started with Accordance" but in the Help files you'll find it. As a hint: it has a red stripe on the left side. It is also discussed in a lot of the other Help materials. The older Manual, a Podcast. And in the Help itself. 

But I see it's hard to find. Even it is here not visual explained.

http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Images/transparent.gifSet a Display Range via the Table of Contents

By setting a display range in the TOC, you can further refine a search to a very specific article or subarticle in a tool (for example, for printing purposes). 

To set a display range:

1. Press Alt+ and move the cursor over a title in the TOC. The cursor changes to a red arrow (http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/content/resources/images/accordancehelpv2/c-rdarrw.gif).
  2. Click the title you want the search range to apply to. A red bar appears next to the selected titles. 

All subarticles within a selected article are also marked with a red bar.

3. If desired, select additional articles. Press Shift+Alt+ and then click the additional articles. Red bars appear next to the additionally selected titles.
  4. If desired, remove the selections as follows. 
  5. Press Alt+ and move the cursor to the left margin of the TOC, next to a title. The cursor changes to a red "x" (http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/content/resources/images/accordancehelpv2/c-rdx.gif).
  6. Click anywhere on the left margin of the TOC. All selections are removed.

http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/content/resources/images/icon_a_hint.png

Hint

You can also set the range via the TOC shortcut menuhttp://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Images/transparent.gif. Right-click anywhere in the TOC. Available options are: Expand LevelsSelect RangeAdd To Range, and Clear Ranges

post-32723-0-02527300-1579210103_thumb.png

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 6

Fabian, 

Thanks for the reply, this is great, I didn't know the option to select range from the TOC was even there! Very helpful to know...

Using this method the search results for "Kingdom" in Moo's Roman's commentary is 69 hits. However, there doesn't seem to be an interactive list of these hits, like in Research, to review the results, so I still have to move from hit to hit, rather than survey a list.

Is there a way to show the hits in a list form like in Research? The analytics only provides a graph of the hits, which is helpful to see the concentration of the hits, and a summary table, which doesn't seem to serve much purpose. It would be good to see the results listed and if further search criteria is added the list shortened to only show the appropriate hits. Is this function tucked away someplace? 

Thanks Paul

• Like 1

You can hide every paragraph that doesn't contain a hit by clicking on the action menu (looks like a cog wheel) and selecting Show Text As—>Paragraphs.

Screen%20Shot%202020-01-16%20at%207.00.0

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 6

Mark,

Thanks for this, another feature I was unaware of and very helpful to know.

It would be good if an option was available here to also show results by list or by line as well as paragraphs, this would provide a quick way to survey the results and then to expand further, a bit like an interactive concordance view.

Is this or can this be possible? BibleWorks handles search results this way and it’s very economical.

Thanks Paul

• Like 1

I don't see the advantage by list. What is the advantage if I have a list like.

Kingdom

Kingdom

Kingdom

etc. 

you need the context of the paragraph to see which "Kingdom" is the one you need. I can see an advantage by 3 lines. the one above the one with the hit and one below.

True, 3 lines would be best, could this be possible as a future enhancement?

Isn't there a "show context" feature within the search? Can't check right now but I remember using that before