#1 Krutledge

Krutledge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

I'm a long-time user of accordance with a lot of money poured into some big accordance packages. While I started on Mac, I've moved (long arduous story short) to linux and LOVE it more than anything I've ever used. The only thing I can't do on my linux machine is use accordance. I would never dual boot back to Windows for anything but for accordance. I don't want to have to switch bible software after all the investment and love I have for accordance.

Can you please port a linux version from your similar UNIX Mac version?

This would be so amazing and would solve my problems entirely. I know I'm not alone. Windows and Mac have put enough people off that many of us are turning to the '3rd option' in OS's: Linux. Wine is something of a solution, but I can't get it to make accordance work yet, though I've spent hours on it already. God bless your efforts and any help you can bring to us OS outcasts. Linux is much cheaper than Mac OS, and would make it so I could spend a lot more money on Accordance Bible products!

Thanks!

• OSchrock, Fabian, miketisdell and 1 other like this

#2 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:50 AM

Also in the competitor forum they yelled for a Linux version. And as I see from my perspective, both negate because of the few users. 

But honestly the one of the two teams which are faster will take the cake here. 

• Daniel L likes this
Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bugs, I describe.

PLEASE!
Bring more international Bibles to the store,
fix my reported bugs, even the old ones which never was addressed,
develop my feature requests, the new once and the once I made years ago,
in nearer future.

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Ruby

• Accordance
  • 5,085 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:06 AM

Porting Accordance to Linux is not really made much easier just because of Unix underpinnings of macOS. But ultimately, it comes down to user base. I love Linux myself and would have made it my main platform years ago if Accordance were on it, but I've always understood that there are not enough users or potential users to justify it.

And I realize that for Linux as a platform, this quickly devolves into a chicken or the egg issue--if there were more professional programs on Linux, it might attract more customers; but few companies want to release Linux versions because there aren't enough users there to justify it. 

Realistically, if we were to consider a fifth platform, a web-based version of Accordance would be of much more benefit to our customers than Linux at this point.

• OSchrock, MattChristian and ScottDF like this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#4 miketisdell

miketisdell

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows, Android

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:29 AM

Porting Accordance to Linux is not really made much easier just because of Unix underpinnings of macOS. But ultimately, it comes down to user base. I love Linux myself and would have made it my main platform years ago if Accordance were on it, but I've always understood that there are not enough users or potential users to justify it.

And I realize that for Linux as a platform, this quickly devolves into a chicken or the egg issue--if there were more professional programs on Linux, it might attract more customers; but few companies want to release Linux versions because there aren't enough users there to justify it. 

Realistically, if we were to consider a fifth platform, a web-based version of Accordance would be of much more benefit to our customers than Linux at this point.

Web based requires an online connection. I would be far more interested in Linux. 

Note: Porting linux apps to Mac is easier than apple to Linux i.e. once you have something that works on Linux it can be maintained for both platforms. 

#5 dandennison

dandennison

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:The Master's Seminary

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

Personally I'd rather see more time in Wine to make Accordance Windows run better on Linux. This has the benefit of making other apps work better too.

• Unix likes this

#6 Krutledge

Krutledge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

I would take a web-based version, too! Either would work. I just need a good solution to keep accordance in my life as a now-linux user.

Thanks for all the thought!

#7 echu888

echu888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Platforms:Android

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:23 AM

Figured I should add my voice to the discussion.  I'm also a Linux user, former Mac user.  I'd be okay with either a native version, or a wine version.  

Actually, I'm also a software developer so I wouldn't mind helping out in some way. 

#8 echu888

echu888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Platforms:Android

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:40 PM

In the absence of a native, or Wine-based way to run Accordance, the next best option might be... using a virtual machine.

Search for a github project called "macOS-Simple-KVM" which allows you to run OS X in qemu under Linux.  Of course this will take up significantly more resources than running natively, but it's better than nothing.  

A Windows VM could also be used if you have access to a Windows 7/8/10 image or own a product key.  VirtualBox is a customer friendly product for this, or virt-manager works as a qemu front-end as well.  

#9 Ken Hall

Ken Hall

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:40 AM

Realistically, if we were to consider a fifth platform, a web-based version of Accordance would be of much more benefit to our customers than Linux at this point. Whether through native Linux, Wine, or online, we are really hoping for some way to access Accordance in Linux. 

If a web-based version is of most benefit at this point, how realistic is it that we might see a web-based version in the foreseeable future?

I'm adding my vote that something be done to access Accordance via Linux. Whether via native Linux, Wine, or online, we need at least something. If a web-based version is of more benefit than porting Accordance to Linux, how realistic is it that we might see that in the foreseeable future?

Edited by Ken Hall, 30 August 2020 - 03:46 AM.

#10 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:14 PM

Well I am unaware of 13, i know 10 was functioning quick satisfactory under wine by some users and some were getting 12 to run if a bit buggy... https://www.accordan...-wine/?hl=linux

While I know it cannot be the primary goal of the programers it would be nice if there were a way they could help ensure that it could be more WINE compatible. (I know might as well ask for full feature parity on iOS while I am at it).

-dan

#11 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Ruby

• Accordance
  • 5,085 posts
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:38 PM

If a web-based version is of more benefit than porting Accordance to Linux, how realistic is it that we might see that in the foreseeable future?

I would stay it's realistic.

• Leopold Green and Brian W. Davidson like this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

#12 Leopold Green

Leopold Green

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitter:@lgreen
  • Interests:Judaism, Christianity, Nature, Politics, Literature, Cinema, Music, Beer and fine whisky (not always in that order)

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:18 AM

I would stay it's realistic.

Ah, will this be the answer to having 'full accordance' on iPad Pro? That would be excellent - I had changed my plans to buy a 2021 MacBook Pro rather than a 2021 iPad Pro just because I so want the desktop version of Accordance (or closer to it than the iOS app)

#13 Rich

Rich

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my lovely wife, my children, fellowship, worship music, piano, gardening. and pursuing my M.Div at Asbury Theological Seminary.

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

Unfortunately, web is not an alternative to a native experience on an iPad Pro (or Linux).  It's just not.  It's a horrible facsimile with a poor user experience — particularly on a heavily interactive application like Accordance.  It's a stop gap measure, but not one I would want to use on a daily basis.  I realize this conversation is about Linux not iPad Pro, but I just wanted to express that a web variant is never going to compare to a native app (and this is coming from someone who has developed web and native apps for 30 years).

Rich Wardwell

Accordance Hardware

2017 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 4.2 GHz i7, 32GB memory, Radeon Pro 580, 8GB, 2TB SSD, Catalina)

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", 2.4 GHz  i9, 32GB memory, 2 TB SSD, Catalina)

2018 iPad Pro (12.9", 512GB, iOS 13)

2019 iPhone 11 Pro Max (iOS 13)

#14 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Ruby

• Accordance
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

We would wholeheartedly agree that native apps superior to a web experience. 

• Rich likes this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

#15 miketisdell

miketisdell

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Platforms:Windows, Android

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:56 PM

+1

#16 evhatfield

evhatfield

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

I too am a long-time Accordance user and a Mac turned Linux user.  I got a competitor application that I have to work using Wine, but still can't get Accordance.

• ScottDF likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users