Information for Hebrew Inscriptions

miketisdell

Where can I find detailed information about the inscriptions included in the Hebrew Inscriptions module i.e. for a "seal" how can I find out where it was found, date of the seal, etc...?

For example, where can I find the details for this seal?

‎Seals 701:1‏ לשבנ ‎2‏ א שחר

The INSCRIP read me file says that the seals are based on Avigad, Nahman and Sass, Benjamin. Corpus of West Semitic Seals.  Israel Exploration Society, 1997.

The INSCRIP read me file says that the seals are based on Avigad, Nahman and Sass, Benjamin. Corpus of West Semitic Seals.  Israel Exploration Society, 1997.

This book is around $200.00- would be nice to have in Accordance or at least gain access to some provenance data for this stuff beyond this...

I read that; however, do I have to buy another source to get documentation on each seal, or is this available somewhere in Accordance?

I assume that the seals in the collection span cover a wide period of time and geography, so understanding the context of each inscription is important.

I read that; however, do I have to buy another source to get documentation on each seal, or is this available somewhere in Accordance?

I assume that the seals in the collection span cover a wide period of time and geography, so understanding the context of each inscription is important.

The data is from a book: Corpus of West Semitic Seals. This is not in Accordance.  It can be found here for $200.00

https://www.amazon.com/Corpus-West-Semitic-Stamp-Seals/dp/9652081388/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Corpus+of+West+Semitic+Seals&qid=1579798277&sr=8-1

• Like 1

Ben Sass has scans of the index to the volume which isn't entirely helpful but allows you to see the contents of the book if you are considering purchasing:

https://www.academia.edu/4786835/1997._Avigad_N._revised_and_completed_by_Sass_B._Corpus_of_West_Semitic_stamp_seals._Jerusalem

Unfortunately, the Avigad and Sass volume is the only resource for contextual information. The seals were included in the INSCRIP module when it was developed by William Schniedewind and his UCLA students. Marty Abegg and I now shepherd that module. Contextual information is not included in the text modules, though it is a an idea to create a parallel to the NWS Inscriptions index. Another future project. 

• Like 5

Unfortunately, the Avigad and Sass volume is the only resource for contextual information. The seals were included in the INSCRIP module when it was developed by William Schniedewind and his UCLA students. Marty Abegg and I now shepherd that module. Contextual information is not included in the text modules, though it is a an idea to create a parallel to the NWS Inscriptions index. Another future project. 

I would really love to see the contextual information. Without it the module isn't extremely helpful for the seals.

• Like 2

Can I help in some way? I may be of some use gathering data etc- More than willing to do so

• Like 3

This is just a stopgap, but some of you may find it helpful. Context of Scripture has some information on seals, which you can find by searching the Footnotes field for "Avigad and Sass." It doesn't find this particular seal, but it will give you some contextual information for some of the more important ones.

• Like 4

I would really love to see the contextual information.

Well said, Miketisdell. Your request sort of reminds me of similar requests for more basic module information (e.g. full book names) in Accordance (like this and this).

And as MattChristian would say, +1 for modules dealing with ancient inscriptions.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Can I help in some way? I may be of some use gathering data etc- More than willing to do so

I am interested in the information for these seals: Seals 349:1;350:1; 686:2; 687:2; 701:1-2; 704:2; 710:2

I am interested in the information for these seals: Seals 349:1;350:1; 686:2; 687:2; 701:1-2; 704:2; 710:2

I will see what I can "dig up" (bad pun intended)

• Like 1