Add modern Greek audio

miclew

More and more people are switching from Erasmian to modern Greek pronunciation especially since more people are learning Koine outside of the university system where Erasmian is prominent. If you could get Spiros Zodhiates's rendition that would even be better. His is beautiful. 

• Like 7

Yes! I’ve switched to modern pronunciation and use the one in Bible.is. Would certainly pay to have it in Accordance. The great thing is the one I use there is for the whole bible — LXX and NT.

• Like 1

It would also be nice to have the audio with reconstructed Koiné Greek.

Here is the way Randall Buth conceives it.

https://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/koine-greek-pronunciation/

Here are audio samples.

https://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/greek-mp3-samples/

A great idea! It's also the pronunciation I prefer and use with my students. It would be a huge project, but I would love to see this!

• 1 year later...

Amen to the idea of having  both modern Greek pronunciation(Spiros Zodhiates is one idea), and also Randall Buth's reconstructed Koine pronunciation programme.  Yea!!!

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 7:05 PM, arnehalbakken said:

It would also be nice to have the audio with reconstructed Koiné Greek.

This presumes that a universal "Koiné Greek pronunciation" existed in the first century. Matt. 26:73 indicates that Jesus' disciples spoke with a particular accent, apparently one uncommon in Jerusalem.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:30 AM, Brian W. Davidson said:

Yes! I’ve switched to modern pronunciation and use the one in Bible.is. Would certainly pay to have it in Accordance. The great thing is the one I use there is for the whole bible — LXX and NT.

+1 for having audio of the LXX. But I'm not picky about the pronunciation used.

Would also love to have Greek audio pronunciation — particularly in Koine Era Pronunciation (KEP) [over Erasmian]. 

I would also love to have modern Greek audio.

23 hours ago, Daniel L said:

This presumes that a universal "Koiné Greek pronunciation" existed in the first century. Matt. 26:73 indicates that Jesus' disciples spoke with a particular accent, apparently one uncommon in Jerusalem.

I wonder if they were speaking in Aramaic, though? Not that it matters to this thread; just a thought.

22 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

I wonder if they were speaking in Aramaic, though? Not that it matters to this thread; just a thought.

That’s what I assumed. Craig Keener also seems to assume it, although doesn’t name the language: “Galilean accents differed from Judean accents; Galileans were careless with their vowels and failed to clearly differentiate the various guttural consonants” (accord://read/IVP-NT_Commentary_2#1164)

Getting back to the topic, Koine pronunciation was reconstructed with the awareness that there were different accents. In fact, Living Koine deliberately uses an Anatolian pronunciation for θ, φ, and χ, for pedagogical reasons explained on the website. We can’t reproduce everyone’s accent, and perhaps we aren’t perfectly reproducing anyone’s accent, but a reconstructed Koine pronunciation would probably at least be comprehensible in that period, and it can give some insight into manuscript variations. On the other hand, a reconstructed Athenian pronunciation makes the morphology of Ancient Greek more obvious.

• Like 1