Add the Vulgate to MT <-> LXX Cross-highlighting

Michel Gilbert

This would make a great feature even greater.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I agree, this would be a great resource, but what would link the latin words to the Greek or Hebrew?

Hi Joel,

When I added the Vulgate in parallel to HMT and LXX, I noticed that some proper names cross-highlighted, like  Αβελ and Abel, but not Καιν and Cain. I also noticed that some of the glosses are the same, e.g., γῆ and terra are both "land, earth." I wonder if a programmer could write algorithms to match LXX and Vulgate glosses, and someone who knows Latin well could do the rest manually. Then the LXX could serve as a bridge to the MT.

Like I said, it is a great feature already.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

I think you'd need to find a scholar to make an MT-Vulgate database like the MT-LXX database, or at a minimum, someone to add Strong's numbers to a Vulgate text. This isn't going to happen automatically.

I agree. I said the LXX could be the bridge, but it would be made out of Strong's numbers.I was just pointing out to Joel that if they could match some glosses in the the LXX and Vulgate, they could start matching Strong's numbers. The Latin scripts would also help match some words. Then Accordance could try fuzzy matches, and finally, try to match some Vulgate and MT glosses. I wouldn't be surprised if a quarter of the numbers ended up as correct matches. And then, someone would have to check these manually, along with the hypothetical remaining three quarters. It would be a good start for the minimum matching of numbers, or for a seasoned scholar to produce an MT-Vulgate database.