Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows, Android

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

But you can use the construct window.

I don't know if this helps much i.e. the construct is itself another tab and still has to have a link and comparative statement in the destination tab. Combining [TEXT] commands with other commands in a logic string seems to be pretty problematic. What I have had to do so far is put each [TEXT] command in a tab all by itself and then have a master tab that combines the logic connecting all of the other tabs. 

For example if I create TABS called [Targs 1], [Targs 2], [Targs 3], [Targs 4] with a single [TEXT] command in each TAB (like " ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎][email protected]‏ ‏ ראה"  for example) and then create a TAB called [MASTER] with the logic. For example:

[CONTENTS Targs 1] <AND>  [CONTENTS Targs 2] <AND>  [CONTENTS Targs 3] <AND>  [CONTENTS Targs 4] 

Placing the commands with the logic in the same tab does not appear to be possible because of the RTL bugs

#42 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 6,225 posts
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:35 PM

This is not a good solution, and I do not recommend it.  Your solution, using the CONTENTS, is only going to filter at the verse level your searches.  If you want an actual accurate comparison, use the @ symbol in the entry box, or stack boxes in the construct.

Using a construct is a great solution, and I recommend you check it out.  Or, build the searches as I said with the popup set to Verses, and it will also work.  You will potentially get wrong results (and way more effort!) with the solution posted here.

Joel Brown

By day: Lead Software Engineer at Accordance
By night: Freelance Trombonist

#43 miketisdell

miketisdell

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:46 PM

This is not a good solution, and I do not recommend it.  Your solution, using the CONTENTS, is only going to filter at the verse level your searches.  If you want an actual accurate comparison, use the @ symbol in the entry box, or stack boxes in the construct.

Using a construct is a great solution, and I recommend you check it out.  Or, build the searches as I said with the popup set to Verses, and it will also work.  You will potentially get wrong results (and way more effort!) with the solution posted here.

I don't think you quite understand what I am attempting to do and I would put these in the same search box if Accordance allowed. I don't know any way to utilize the [TEXT] command in a construct, so if that is possible I am open to hearing. Right now I assume that I can create a search without the [TEXT command and link it to a TAB that has the [TEXT] command so that doesn't really improve the situation i.e. I would still need a master TAB that doesn't have any [TEXT] commands in it. 

To put it into perspective, here is an example of the commands in the SUB TABS and MASTER TAB

Targs 1:  " ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎][email protected]‏ ‏ ראה"
Targs 2: " ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎][email protected]‏ ‏ ירד"

Targs 3:  " ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎][email protected]‏ ‏ גלה"

Targs 4:  " ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎][email protected]‏ ‏ ידע"

Master:  ([CONTENTS Targs 1] <OR>  [CONTENTS Targs 2] <OR>  [CONTENTS Targs 3] <OR>  [CONTENTS Targs 4]) <NOT>  גלי

Note: Logic is read RTL; this produces a list of cases where the word mapping does not equal any of the items listed in the SUB TABS

How would you accomplish this search with a construct or in a single search box (given the bugs that prevent most of this to be combined in a single search box)

Edited by miketisdell, 04 February 2020 - 03:47 PM.

#44 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

See Mendel's response:

https://www.accordan...mmand/?p=138300

I'll reply there as well.

• miketisdell likes this

Joel Brown

#45 miketisdell

miketisdell

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

See Mendel's response:

https://www.accordan...mmand/?p=138300

I'll reply there as well.

I already saw it and tried it. I had not noticed the TEXT object in the construct before. 

#46 Mendel

Mendel

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

Yes, you can easily combine this with a Syntax search.  But, it can get tricky to do lots of mixed RTL together, so if you are dealing with anything but the most basic WordMap TEXT searches, you'll want to build them in the construct.

Can you tell me how to apply the Targums in the Syntax search? I made a syntax search and have all verbs reffering to Abraham. How do I get a summary of the verbs that the Targum is using for them? 

#47 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:18 PM

Add a TEXT command containing TARG-T * to the same column as the verb.  Then, you'll be able to add Intertext to your analysis of the results.

• miketisdell likes this

Joel Brown

#48 Mendel

Mendel

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

Add a TEXT command containing TARG-T * to the same column as the verb.  Then, you'll be able to add Intertext to your analysis of the results.

I tried it. Accordance crashes immediatley. 

#49 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:23 PM

Can yo umove this discussion to a new thread and post a picture of your construct?  Does it crash on the search or the analysis?

Joel Brown

#50 Mendel

Mendel

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

Can yo umove this discussion to a new thread and post a picture of your construct?  Does it crash on the search or the analysis?

https://www.accordan...-syntax-search/

#51 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,902 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

Note that while the discounted pricing on the Targums Wordmap had originally been scheduled to end at midnight tonight, it has been extended to 11:59 PM EST, Sunday night, May 9. So, if you're on the fence, you have a few more days to decide.

• miketisdell and TYA like this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#52 miketisdell

miketisdell

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

Note that while the discounted pricing on the Targums Wordmap had originally been scheduled to end at midnight tonight, it has been extended to 11:59 PM EST, Sunday night, May 9. So, if you're on the fence, you have a few more days to decide.

I am not one who was on the fence. I got it and really like it so far. I am looking forward to more books being completed. I would recommend it for anyone interested in the study of the Targums. 

My only concerns so far are with Accordance software i.e. the crashes that occur when [text] tags in construct strings, and the problems with entering complex search criteria into the search box (because of some serious RTL bugs). I do hope these issues can be fixed soon. That being said, these issues are annoying but do not prevent you from being able to use the word maps, bugs and all I still think it was a good investment. 

• TYA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users