Where's my image, which I had in this user tool? I've opened this tool multiple times in the past (but not in months), and the image was always there. My other tools haven't (yet!?!?*) lost any images. So why is my imaging now missing from this tool? See attached please.
And this is what I find unsettling: I saved a backup of this User Tool elsewhere, just in case something bad happened to the original file operating in my "Oaktree" folder in Windows. So I just went and checked my previously-saved version of this Tool, and the image was lost from there too.
Then, I opened the current Tool as it exists in Accordance (again, missing the image), and I re-imported the desired image into the tool, and updated it. So now it has the image again. Out of curiosity, I went back to my other folder where I manually save backups--a folder completely separate from the folders which run Accordance--and I clicked on that older version of my Tool, expecting it to open without the image, which I had just re-imported to the "live" version of the Tool in Accordance. To my surprise, it now opened with the image in it, as though my updating the "live" version of the Tool also changed my backed-up file elsewhere. Explain that please. The whole purpose of having a backup is to restore something that gets lost or damaged. But apparently, the backup isn't working as a true backup. What's going on here Accordance (or anyone else who can explain)?
* Forgive this exclamation: yet!?!? Accordance has lost too much stuff now (e.g. texts from Custom Groups,** and now images from User Tools), aside, of course, from the entire program crashing, falling apart, and countless other unresolved bugs. My confidence is very low with Accordance right now, and please, this must change.
** Amazing timing that I should mention "texts from Custom Groups." Literally, at the same time as I was writing this post--not even an hour before writing this post--Accordance dropped the BHS-T (your own text, to be clear) out of three of my Custom Groups. Now I have to go back and manually add it and re-order it in those groups all over again.
I don't think I've ever gotten an answer to this particular issue (since I mentioned it many months ago), other than someone saying "maybe your file got corrupted" (or something like that), or "maybe your User Bible text got corrupted." I answered that this happens to native Accordance texts too, so the latter isn't the case, and regarding the former, I say this: I don't have a problem with any other files on my computer getting corrupted--ever. So if something is getting corrupted in the Accordance program, then it must be an Accordance-only issue--not something else on my machine.
Edited by TYA, 30 January 2020 - 02:57 AM.