Unable to open two separate I stances of Accordance on iPad. What am I doing wrong?

zcostilla

So as the title says, I cannot open two instances of the accordance app on my iPad Pro 11. If I open Safari and then slowly swip up from bottom to get the app tray and press and hold Safari again, I can drag it to the side and I get two separate windows of safari, each independent of the other. I cannot get this to work with Accordance. What am I doing wrong?

If it’s not possible, it would be a great feature request, as a separate screens would give me the ability to edit my notes while keeping the text open on the other side. Or instead of notes, I could have Wilmington’s Guide to the Bible open, which doesn’t work in split screen. Or I could have four separate views that DO work in split screen. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently this functionality doesn’t exist for our mobile app as the underlying system to support it requires a massive restructuring of fundamental elements of the application.

We have on our feature the ability to support layouts similar to the desktop application and so support what your requesting. I can make no statement regarding when you may see it implemented, but rest assured it’s there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently this functionality doesn’t exist for our mobile app as the underlying system to support it requires a massive restructuring of fundamental elements of the application.

We have on our feature the ability to support layouts similar to the desktop application and so support what your requesting. I can make no statement regarding when you may see it implemented, but rest assured it’s there.

Thanks for the reply. Will this layout allow me to edit a note within the existing split screen pane, so the text window stays open for reading?

That remains to be seen, but it's a good thought.

• Like 1

Looking for an ePub reader, I came across Marvin SxS. This is a clone of the Marvin 3 app so that you can open two books side by side. Now that iOS 13 allows multiple windows, I don't know if App Store review would still let you get away with this, but it seems like a simple, though crude solution in the short term: just publish another copy of the same app with a different name and a few minor changes. One change would be that the second app shouldn't respond to accord: URLs, and another would be something to distinguish it visually. I wouldn't expect the second app to share files with the first.

• 1 month later...

Today I’m working on my iPad Pro and making observations in my notes. it’s really annoying that the notes window pops up over the middle of the screen so that it covers both the text of the Bible and the commentary I have open. As a workaround I’ve got my phone open to the same layout as the iPad, but that’s not ideal. I really wish you supported either showing notes in a third pane or two instances of Accordance as many other apps now support. One way or the other, this is the primary reason I want dual instances of the iPad app at once.

Hey Kevin,

We're always working to bring new features and better implementations to the app. We've said here and elsewhere that greater flexibility and functionality with layout is on our list of items to implement. It's a matter of when, not if.

• Like 1

Thanks, Graham —

I think the frustration is that the platform is just begging for some of these features (particularly the foundational ability to see more than two things at once), and a number of us have been chomping at the bit to move more of our workflows to the iPad for quite some time now because of the really perfect marriage of a fuller featured Accordance on iPad, but just can't yet because of the limitations of Accordance.  That said, I certainly know as a developer of 25+ years — software development takes time — a lot more than most understand, and there are always competing critical priorities that the user base doesn't have visibility into (or necessarily should) — particularly in a smaller development shop.  

In other words, I'm excited to see what y'all come up with — and of course, as a user / customer, I hope it's sooner rather than later!  :)

Hey Kevin,

We're always working to bring new features and better implementations to the app. We've said here and elsewhere that greater flexibility and functionality with layout is on our list of items to implement. It's a matter of when, not if.

• Like 1

Graham can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that implementing a second instance is not a trivial feature addition in existing programs. Last I checked, most of Apple's own apps didn't have this ability yet.

• Like 1

I responded on another thread similarly.  It's not simple for existing apps (although I do believe most Apple productivity apps do support it at this point).  As I have mentioned in the past, we don't necessarily need parallel app windows as originally suggested, but native support for more than two panes (through many various potential mechanisms).  I think that honestly provides more flexibility than the app level multi-window anyway.

Graham can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that implementing a second instance is not a trivial feature addition in existing programs. Last I checked, most of Apple's own apps didn't have this ability yet.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just chiming in to say yay for whatever you can add to the iOS side of things. I’m iPad only for financial and other reasons, and accordance is the one area I really feel the loss of OS X...

• Like 4

My +1 also.

There are a number of resources that cannot be launched in the second pane, while having a text open. (Eg, ESV on the left, and Rose Bible Overview on the right is not possible, as far as I can work out). This pushes me back to OS X, when I really want to stay on the sofa with the iPad. :D

To launch two copies of Accordance on an iPad Pro side by side would be so very very good, even just to overcome the example I gave.  :)

• Like 1

My +1 also.

There are a number of resources that cannot be launched in the second pane, while having a text open. (Eg, ESV on the left, and Rose Bible Overview on the right is not possible, as far as I can work out)...when I really want to stay on the sofa with the iPad. :D

+1. 

For me, its being able to have a really good bible atlas open beside the text or to have two commentaries open side by side or open a text in the second window when reading a book such as theology with the fathers to see the quoted passage in context. 

but i dont mind how its achieved, tabs or whatever is the best long term most versatile design solution. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

This is a bummer. I really think the power of iPad, and especially iPad Pro, is neglected. I understand only a little piece of the difficulty involved and the prioritization of programming time. I understand y'all's decision. But it's a bummer. 

• Like 1

I’m still holding out hope because somewhere in these forums it was said that 2020 will be a banner year for those of us who love iPadOS and Accordance.

• Like 4

I’m still holding out hope because somewhere in these forums it was said that 2020 will be a banner year for those of us who love iPadOS and Accordance.

Correct! about half way down the attached thread! (But there is still 265 days left of 2020!)

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/26745-accordance-on-new-ipad-os/

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Fraser, you beat me to it. I was going to search for that link, and say that Rick said mobile apps, so there is hope for Android users too.

Michel

• Like 1

My +1 also.

There are a number of resources that cannot be launched in the second pane, while having a text open. (Eg, ESV on the left, and Rose Bible Overview on the right is not possible, as far as I can work out). This pushes me back to OS X, when I really want to stay on the sofa with the iPad. :D

To launch two copies of Accordance on an iPad Pro side by side would be so very very good, even just to overcome the example I gave.  :)

I second this (or third? or fourth? or...?)  :)

• Like 3

This pushes me back to OS X, when I really want to stay on the sofa with the iPad. :D

just in case I sound like I am always complaining..... to keep it in perspective...

While I obviously want to see as many of the excellent features from the desktop app make it across to the mobile version, I am truly grateful that I CAN slouch on the sofa and hold in one hand the equivalent of a very large bookcase which in physical form would crush me. :D

Thanks Accordance Team for the great products, and look forward to where you will take them going forward.

John

Edited by dataduffy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

just in case I sound like I am always complaining..... to keep it in perspective...

While I obviously want to see as many of the excellent features from the desktop app make it across to the mobile version, I am truly grateful that I CAN slouch on the sofa and hold in one hand the equivalent of a very large bookcase which in physical form would crush me. :D

Thanks Accordance Team for the great products, and look forward to where you will take them going forward.

John

I’m tempted to buy Screens on iPad to connect to an iMac running Accordance. Screens supports iPadOS mouse input.

I’m tempted to buy Screens on iPad to connect to an iMac running Accordance. Screens supports iPadOS mouse input.

Have you a link?

John

I’d like to second this! Accordance is absolutely wonderful and is almost exclusively the only app I need for Bible on my iPad. I only use Bible.is for an audio bible when driving (man I’d love an audio Bible for accordance!)

That said, the only real reason I use Accordance on my Mac is for expository sermon outlines, because I really need three or four panels to see the passage, search for cross reference verses, keep a commentary open, and edit my user notes for sermon outlines. And to be honest, if I could just view and edit a user note within it’s own pane, even if it meant keeping only two panes total, I would probably hardly ever use accordance on my Mac.

• Like 1

I only use Bible.is for an audio bible when driving (man I’d love an audio Bible for accordance!)

Ive requested one before and have ended up with the niv read by david suchet (which was a free app outside of the usa and canada a few weeks ago) But there is a thread with lots of other suggestions. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24094-english-translation-audio-bible/?hl=%2Bniv+%2Baudio

Accordance does have these if you want to exercise a different part of your brain while driving. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=GNT%20Audio

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Hebrew%20Audio-OT

;o) 

(please dont attempt to use a lexicon while driving!)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Ive requested one before and have ended up with the niv read by david suchet (which was a free app outside of the usa and canada a few weeks ago) But there is a thread with lots of other suggestions. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/24094-english-translation-audio-bible/?hl=%2Bniv+%2Baudio

Accordance does have these if you want to exercise a different part of your brain while driving. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=GNT%20Audio

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Hebrew%20Audio-OT

;o) 

(please dont attempt to use a lexicon while driving!)

I’m a KJV guy. I bought the Alexander Scourby audio Bible in MP3 probably 10 years ago. But I have to manually select the chapters. If Accordance paid for the rights to use his audio, I’d pay for that module! Plus, it would be ANOTHER GREAT OPTION to have the daily devotion read out loud. There are times I’ll listen to the Bible for two or three books, but there are also hectic days, and listening to my devotion while taking my exercise walk might save me time and still plant a seed for further study when the walk is over.

Also, Apple Music is stupid, because syncing with my Mac deletes EVERY playlist I made on my iPhone. Plus every time Apple updates the music app, it deletes my MP3s from the phone’s music library and I have to repeat the process all over again. I gave up on Apple Music and moved to a Spotify subscription because all the songs I had as local MP3s are there except my audio Bible. But I hate going through and syncing every month or two when I shouldn’t have to.

• Like 3