Transliteration Table and SBL Format

Benjamin Gladd

I'm editing a large project that entails considerable Greek/Hebrew transliteration. Where can I find Accordance's transliteration table, so that I can compare it to the SBL format?

Thanks, Mark! I looked at the PDF, but the transliteration page is exceedingly difficult to follow. See attached. 

I'm looking for something like the layout SBL Handbook of style presents. Also see attached. 

post-30071-0-18305800-1580478909_thumb.png

post-30071-0-22666100-1580478917_thumb.png

It sounds like you're looking for an Accordance transliteration style guide, rather than a list of keystrokes to create certain accent marks. I'm not aware that we have anything like that.

Yes, Mark, that's what I'm looking for--a style guide. 

I'm editing a large project that entails considerable Greek/Hebrew transliteration. Where can I find Accordance's transliteration table, so that I can compare it to the SBL format?

Hmm.... I was just assuming that they were using the SBL guidelines. I'll keep an eye out for differences and on this thread to see if you find anything.

Another question in this vein, the transliteration in the interlinear does not carry over to the "copy as transliteration" feature. The "copy as transliteration" superscripts the short Hebrew vowel, while the interlinear does not. 

For example, in Gen 1:1 the "copy as transliteration" reads, bᵉrēʾšiṯ. But the transliteration in the interlinear reads (see attached).

post-30071-0-53811200-1580481307_thumb.png

It should be possible to build it up yourself from the Interlinear shouldn't it ? Just turn on translit. in the IL and review enough examples to cover the alphabets of Greek and Hebrew.

I realise it's a little bit of work but that should get the bulk of it.

Thx

D

The Copy As Transliteration does simplify the transliteration a bit to work with normal Fonts, while what you see in the interlinear uses the more precise transliteration characters. If you do Copy As Instant Details, this will include the non-simplified form.  If you don't do have to delete all of the extra ID items, you could hide them in Preferences -> Instant Details while doing this work.

• Like 1

Got it, Joel! Very helpful. 

I do wish there were a style guide. 

• 7 months later...

Reviving an older thread...

I don't use transliteration much, but I was trying to show my students--especially to help with 'seeing' the Greek to pronounce it--and I see there is one glaring problem.

As noted in the SBL Greek transliteration tables, a gamma before a gamma, kappa, xi, or chi should be transliterated with a "n." This is not the case in Accordance, either for the transliteration that shows up in Instant Details or when using Copy as Transliteration or when displaying with the interlinear.

E.g., for σπογγος, Accordance has spoggos instead of spongos

For ἔλεγξον, it has elegxon instead of elenxon

Also, upsilons are simply transliterated with "u" instead of following the guide for when "u" or "y" is used.

Also, breathing marks before a rho are also wrong.

So, a word like ῥῦσαι gets transliterated as hrusai instead of rhysai. (< with rho, rough breathing "h" precedes the "r"; when upsilon is not in a dipthong, it should be rendered as "y" instead of "u")

These really need to be fixed.

(I'm guessing that Accordance has simply used Beta Code instead of a true transliteration scheme.)

post-26999-0-47916600-1599071146_thumb.png

• Like 3