Cannot enter multiple search conditions that include a [TEXT] command

miketisdell

It appears to be impossible to enter multiple search conditions when trying to search RTL texts if a [TEXT] command is included.

I have tried adjusting the order of items, writing the search string in a text editor and copying and pasting, etc...

The following is an example of a search that cannot be type. 

‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]-@‏ ‏ ראה<NOT> ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ ‎‏ 

Once  ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎] is typed you not enter text to the left of the tag. I have tried using parenthesis, copying and pasting, etc... but the order of elements is changed when they are pasted into the command line. 

I was able to complete a search by using six different tabs each with one [TEXT] element, but I could not find any way to combine multiple text elements on a single tab. 

I am using Windows (and an Israeli keyboard) but I don't know if this issue is unique to this situation.  

TEXT searches are multi-layers of mixed direction, and really get quite crazy, especially when dealing with RTL in an RTL.  There are two solutions at this time:

1) Switch the popup to 'Verses' instead of 'Words' when entering your search.  It'll switch back to Words when executing the search, but it'll make the logic a bit clearer.

2) Build the search using the Construct instead of entry box.  It'll keep things really nice, and have less typing too!

Once you are able to create the search, you can definitely combine multiple conditions together.

TEXT searches are multi-layers of mixed direction, and really get quite crazy, especially when dealing with RTL in an RTL.  There are two solutions at this time:

1) Switch the popup to 'Verses' instead of 'Words' when entering your search.  It'll switch back to Words when executing the search, but it'll make the logic a bit clearer.

2) Build the search using the Construct instead of entry box.  It'll keep things really nice, and have less typing too!

Once you are able to create the search, you can definitely combine multiple conditions together.

I will give it a try; however, this should be considered a bug. I can enter almost any search until I try to add [TEXT] command and then everything fails.

‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]-@‏ ‏ ראה<NOT> ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ ‎‏ 

Is here an RTL problem? Can you make a photo of the search command? 

It's a problem of mixed upon mixed upon mixed RTL.  The workarounds of setting the popup to Verses, or using the Construct, work quite well and keep it much cleaner.

It's a problem of mixed upon mixed upon mixed RTL.  The workarounds of setting the popup to Verses, or using the Construct, work quite well and keep it much cleaner.

I got a chance to try that and it doesn't work. If you use any of the keyboard shortcuts like ctl-alt-A for <AND> it changes immediately to words and the order is mixed up. If I right the whole phrase out in a text editor and paste it gets messed up as soon as I change it to words. 

For example this: ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]-@‏ ‏ ראה<AND> ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ ‎‏ 

Becomes this: ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ -@ ‏ ראה<AND> ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ ‎‏ 

I got a chance to try that and it doesn't work. If you use any of the keyboard shortcuts like ctl-alt-A for <AND> it changes immediately to words and the order is mixed up. If I right the whole phrase out in a text editor and paste it gets messed up as soon as I change it to words. 

For example this: ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]-@‏ ‏ ראה<AND> ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ ‎‏ 

Becomes this: ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ -@ ‏ ראה<AND> ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ ‎‏ 

Can you explain what you are searching for? 

I agree with Mendel: what are you searching for?  This is working fine for me.  Would you like me to post some screenshots or examples?

Can you explain what you are searching for? 

All of the occurrences of גלי in the Targums that do not map to ראה in the Hebrew text. The primary text on the tab is Hebrew. 

I agree with Mendel: what are you searching for?  This is working fine for me.  Would you like me to post some screenshots or examples?

A screen shot and the step to enter [TARG-T ‏גלי‎]-@‏ ‏ ראה<AND> ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏  into the search field. 

Also it would be nice to know if your steps will work with an Israeli keyboard

All of the occurrences of גלי in the Targums that do not map to ראה in the Hebrew text. The primary text on the tab is Hebrew. 

post-35970-0-51594800-1580849712_thumb.jpg

post-35970-0-84818700-1580849721_thumb.jpg

post-35970-0-20745300-1580849851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mendel
  • Like 1

What are you choosing to get the TARG-T box in the column? [NEVER MIND I FOUND IT. I never noticed the TEXT option in the construct before]

I tried selecting to LEX boxes but that is not permitted. 

Almost, this is backwards the NOT should be on the terms above.

Edited by miketisdell

This can also be done in the entry box.  You don't need the  ‎[TARG-T ‏גלי‎]‏ at all.  The string you posted is basically saying "Where does ראה occur in the Hebrew, but not translated as גלי‎ in the Targums, but גלי‎ is still present in the verse."

If all you want is "Where does גלי‎ occur when not mapped to ראה?" all you need is:

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 3.31.44 PM.png

You'll notice the entry box looks a bit mangled, but the logic is correct, as noted when viewed in Verses mode:

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 3.32.10 PM.png

• Like 1