Why Can I Not Search In a User Tool

DoosanMan

I have a user tool made up of sermons in the past when I had a different software.   It works fine except for one thing.   I cannot search content.   I believe before it did work, but this morning whenever I search for a word it brings up many different words.   For example. I'm in the User Tool, I set search to Content, I key in the word "peace" and search.   The first two hit are Saviour and Grace.   Attached is a screenshot.  Thank you.

post-35002-0-90824000-1580903934_thumb.png

Does this NOT need to converted in order for searching to work?

I preach and request it since years. Accordance needs to have a full unicode app. But the forums user don't support me on this.And the User Notes which are in unicode aren't searchable in Research. A full unicode 13.2 would be best. 

What do I mean with this. Your User Tool is in unicode, the Accordance User Tool works with ASCII this is not compatible. 

You can either change the HTML file to Windows Western Latin-1 instead of unicode in Notepad++ and then import it or use the unicode in Research. post-32723-0-59649800-1580905972_thumb.png

If you have Greek and Hebrew in the file you need to import it as unicode. I'm not absolutely sure, but I guess it can be the newer Accordance change the possible characters to ASCII by the import in unicode. So try to import it again and see if it helps.

Does this NOT need to converted in order for searching to work?

No, only for Highlights, make Notes, make Bookmarks, to have it in the Info Pane and for more than one search entry box.

Edited by Fabian

DoosanMan,

You've encountered an annoying bug in highlighting search hits in User Tools. The search worked and found two occurrences of "peace", but the red highlighting is being applied to other words that come later in the text. You have to work backwards from the highlighted words to see the hits. They can even be in the previous paragraph.

Edited by jlm

DoosanMan,

You've encountered an annoying bug in highlighting search hits in User Tools. The search worked and found two occurrences of "peace", but the red highlighting is being applied to other words that come later in the text. You have to work backwards from the highlighted words to see the hits. They can even be in the previous paragraph.

This happens if the imported text is in unicode. But as I wrote: it can be there are some improvements by the import right now. When had you imported this file?

This happens if the imported text is in unicode. But as I wrote: it can be there are some improvements by the import right now. When had you imported this file?

I had last imported it in November. I re-import the file occasionally when I make changes. But it was not imported as Unicode, because I had had trouble with that. Looking at the help, the problem may have been that I didn't have exactly the right header in the HTML. In any case, in November I used pandoc with the --ascii option, which makes everything 7 bit ASCII. Characters out of the ASCII range are encoded as HTML entities. That doesn't work well either, because Accordance doesn't recognize HTML entities.

I just tried again, generating Unicode from pandoc and converting it to Mac Roman before importing. As before, I'm still having problems with search highlighting. I've also had problems with search highlighting in User Tools created by importing PDFs. It seems to be a general problem with User Tools, and as I recall, Joel mentioned it late last year.

Edited by jlm

I had last imported it in November. I re-import the file occasionally when I make changes. But it was not imported as Unicode, because I had had trouble with that. Looking at the help, the problem may have been that I didn't have exactly the right header in the HTML. In any case, in November I used pandoc with the --ascii option, which makes everything 7 bit ASCII. Characters out of the ASCII range are encoded as HTML entities. That doesn't work well either, because Accordance doesn't recognize HTML entities.

I just tried again, generating Unicode from pandoc and converting it to Mac Roman before importing. As before, I'm still having problems with search highlighting. I've also had problems with search highlighting in User Tools created by importing PDFs. It seems to be a general problem with User Tools, and as I recall, Joel mentioned it late last year.

Mmmh I often had a bug with the same  result. Then it was the unicode thing. 

But the <html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" /><link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /><title>Random</title></head> works fine by me.

Thanks for the replies.   I may move my sermon notes over to Evernote.   I'm just not sure.   I really like Accordance, but the note side of it has been a disappointment for me.   In my much cheaper software I used before I had much more robust tools available such as highlighting and searching.   That said I don't plan on moving away from Accordance.   Once of the reasons I moved to it was the way my personal verse notes sync between my phone and laptop.  I have too much invested in it now to change.  Maybe I need to learn to use Papers or Stacks?   It's just I have done my notes in a certain way and format for years and it's hard to train myself to something different.   I like using verse links and commentary links in my notes to that link back to Accordance.

I have a user tool made up of sermons in the past when I had a different software.   It works fine except for one thing.   I cannot search content.   I believe before it did work, but this morning whenever I search for a word it brings up many different words.   For example. I'm in the User Tool, I set search to Content, I key in the word "peace" and search.   The first two hit are Saviour and Grace.   Attached is a screenshot.  Thank you.

I believe this is on the list of bug fixes for 13.0.5.