User Notes Best Practices

coffeedave

I'm a slow adopter of features. I use Accordance regularly for my study and sermon preparation. However, I don't use but a fraction of what this awesome tool can do. In fact, I have to admit I like to have a pen/pencil in my hand and scratch out notes on a piece of paper when I could be putting it all into User Notes. Finally, I'm coming to sense the need and advantage of employing this tool. Here's what I think I want to do. But, I'm looking for advice from users who are using this on "best practices."

Example: I'm currently preaching through Romans and I have a system in which I'm reading ahead weeks in advance. I'll read a section and maybe not take any notes. Then, a day or two later I'll come back and read through it again and maybe start jotting down thoughts and questions about the text that jump out at me. Come back to it again in a few days and dig deeper or start to refine where I think I need to go with the message. So, here are my assumptions about what I think I should be to best organize this information and use it.

1. Create a User Notes file for a specific book of the Bible that I'm studying. 

2. Type in Scripture references relevant to my thoughts and questions so that auto-linking will keep the notes parallel with the text.

3. I believe I might also want to enter words that represent theological ideas or topics which can be searched and cross-referenced when I'm studying a completely different passage. For example, if I'm teaching Galatians and want to see other passages in which Paul is speaking about the Law, I might want it to reference my notes file on Romans and show me my comments in Romans 7.

Anybody out there using this tool in this way? Ideas?

Thanks!

David Largent

• Like 1

Hey David,

1. You don't need to create separate User Notes files for different books. One User Note file will suffice. Although, if you are working through a text in stages (Grammar/Syntax, Literary Issues, Theology, Significance/Application), you may want to create separate files for each those. I also have files for my own translation and Sermon notes. 

2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Whenever you add notes to a particular verses, those notes will scroll in parallel with the text (Add Parallel > My Notes > {Name of note file}). Any Scripture you add in the contents of the Notes file can be hyperlinked and viewed in instant details. The contents of the notes are not going to scroll in parallel with the text, if that's what you are suggesting.

3. You can add URL links to other resources in Accordance within the content of your user notes. For instance, if I see something in IVP Dictionary of Pentateuch, I could right click on a paragraph and Copy As > Location URL (https://accordance.bible/link/read/IVP-Pentateuch#5719) and add that to the content of my notes file. I do this a lot with grammars. Currently, you cannot create a URL link to another User Note. Maybe just create a link to that verse. You could also create a search URL by searching "law" in the ESVS then right clicking the search entry box and Copy As > Search URL (https://accordance.bible/link/search/ESVS?law_[RANGE_Rom-2Tim]_). You could add that to your User Note content and save for later.

Hope that helps some. 

• Like 2

That's very helpful! Thanks!

Hey David,

1. You don't need to create separate User Notes files for different books. One User Note file will suffice. Although, if you are working through a text in stages (Grammar/Syntax, Literary Issues, Theology, Significance/Application), you may want to create separate files for each those. I also have files for my own translation and Sermon notes. 

2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Whenever you add notes to a particular verses, those notes will scroll in parallel with the text (Add Parallel > My Notes > {Name of note file}). Any Scripture you add in the contents of the Notes file can be hyperlinked and viewed in instant details. The contents of the notes are not going to scroll in parallel with the text, if that's what you are suggesting.

3. You can add URL links to other resources in Accordance within the content of your user notes. For instance, if I see something in IVP Dictionary of Pentateuch, I could right click on a paragraph and Copy As > Location URL (https://accordance.bible/link/read/IVP-Pentateuch#5719) and add that to the content of my notes file. I do this a lot with grammars. Currently, you cannot create a URL link to another User Note. Maybe just create a link to that verse. You could also create a search URL by searching "law" in the ESVS then right clicking the search entry box and Copy As > Search URL (https://accordance.bible/link/search/ESVS?law_[RANGE_Rom-2Tim]_). You could add that to your User Note content and save for later.

Hope that helps some.