Searching construct chains in the Hebrew Bible

Bielikov

(First of all, thanks to all who have been helping me with my frequent search questions. What I am doing is going through my grammar and improving my learning and retention by searching examples that can be found in the Hebrew Bible. So here is my question for today. I am creating and saving workspaces with each new thing that I learn so I can reuse for similar questions in the future.)

How do I search for examples of construct chains in the Hebrew Bible?

I'd start with something like this. You could adjust for different parts of speech and longer chains.

post-31158-0-17340700-1582142995_thumb.png

• Like 1

Jordan's screenshot has two construct chains that aren't highlighted, i.e., יראת יהוה in 2,5 and דרך חסידיו in 2,8.

I'm really at a loss about some of the results returned by Accordance. Maybe it's user error, but it isn't always obvious to me, as in this case, why some data isn't highlighted when it should be.

I've also observed errors like the ones described in "Troubleshooting basic Hebrew construct searches: at https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/27042-troubleshooting-basic-hebrew-construct-searches/?hl=construct

I don't know if what Dr. Holmstedt described as "broken" has been fixed yet; I haven't had time to check. But, I know that I'm not always confident about Acc search results, especially when I can see or I know that some hits are missing.

And, most of the time it isn't for me, it is for students.

Can someone explain why the two chains mentioned above aren't highlighted? If you set WITHIN to 2, Acc doesn't pick up the second chain either.

Thanks

• Like 1

In 2:5, יהוה isn't hit because its tagged as a [NOUN properName]. This tag doesn't include gender, number, or state.

In 2:8, חֲסִידָו is tagged as a construct. So, this is not an issue with the search. If you think there is a tagging issue, please report it.

• Like 1

Thanks Jordan and Michael. I will make an attempt and try it out and report back.

Hi Jordan, under my search line I put the following line (words):

[LINK Hebrew Construct]

Where or how do I add the additional parameters? It just gave me an error message. Thanks.

Thanks, Jordan.

I'm trying to look at the differences. Mine shows it as Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica) tagged while yours shows it as HMT-W4.

You also have the other pane where you can add specific information. I have not figured out how to open that tab, yet.

Finally, your search does not "light up" the corresponding words in the English panel, also, as in other searches. Which is not the end of the world, but for quickly looking through the material, it would be great if you could show me how to turn the English words into orange, or whatever that color is, also. 

Edited by Bielikov

In 2:5, יהוה isn't hit because its tagged as a [NOUN properName]. This tag doesn't include gender, number, or state.

In 2:8, חֲסִידָו is tagged as a construct. So, this is not an issue with the search. If you think there is a tagging issue, please report it.

Whatever the tagging, יראת יהוה and דרך חסידיו are construct chains.

It's not that the tagging is incorrect, it is just incomplete, so you can't find hundreds, and perhaps thousands of construct chains in Acc.

BHS SESB edition adds the tag "absolute" to יהוה , i.e., "noun, proper, masculine, singular, absolute," perhaps so one can find these types of construct chains. But to be fair, I looked up יהוה צבאות and it doesn't tag יהוה as construct.

דרך is in construct also, and tagged properly in HMT; חסיד continues the chain, and the suffix, which is in its "absolute" state, completes it.

In this case, dependence on the Acc tags doesn't turn out complete results. Like I said, the tags aren't wrong, just incomplete.

• Like 1

You can use the BHS-T with the construct palette for basic morphological searches. If you plan to do any syntax searching, you will need to switch to the HMT-W4. 

You can open the construct palette through the file menu. The shortcut on a Mac is Cmd-3 for a Hebrew construct. I assume there is a corresponding Windows shortcut. If you use the shortcut, the LINK command will be inserted automatically. Otherwise a contextual click in the search entry box will give you an option for the LINK command (Cmd-Shift-L).

You can drag and drop items into the construct which makes it much more flexible than trying to type things into the search entry box. 

• Like 1

Michel,

Sorry, I thought I was clear in my initial post that I would start with something like my first search and then make the necessary adjustments for different parts of speech and longer chains. 

If you are wanting to cast the net really wide, then just change the [ANY absolute] column to "LEX ?*" That will find every lexical form that follows a construct form, but I'm not sure what you would do 36000 results. Of course, that still doesn't account for pronominal suffixes. Add another 26000 of those.

post-31158-0-34194300-1582162723_thumb.png

post-31158-0-33389500-1582162755_thumb.png

Edited by Jordan S

Hi Jordan, how do I check to see if I have the HMT-W4? I have been doing some syntax searches, I thought. In my paid modules updates, BHS W4.45 shows up, but the download button is darkened. Is this the same as the HMT-W4? Thanks!

Hi Jordan, how do I check to see if I have the HMT-W4? I have been doing some syntax searches, I thought. In my paid modules updates, BHS W4.45 shows up, but the download button is darkened. Is this the same as the HMT-W4? Thanks!

Ok, so I went into the Accordance Website and found that the Biblia Hebraica Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4 is a free update from the BHS.45. I'm supposed to have that, although I have two Hebrew modules, besides my DSS, Targums, etc, one of them is labeled BHS tagged and the other Biblia Hebraica tagged. Are either of this the HMT-W4? Thanks for trying to help me sort this out so I can order the HMT-W4 if I do not have it.

Ok, so I went into the Accordance Website and found that the Biblia Hebraica Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4 is a free update from the BHS.45. I'm supposed to have that, although I have two Hebrew modules, besides my DSS, Targums, etc, one of them is labeled BHS tagged and the other Biblia Hebraica tagged. Are either of this the HMT-W4? Thanks for trying to help me sort this out so I can order the HMT-W4 if I do not have it.

Another question, where do I change my credit card number?

Gregorio,

The BHS-T includes the apparatus. It has the orange cover like print edition. The HMT-W4 contains the extra layer of syntax tagging for those who have purchased Holmstedt's Hebrew Syntax, and it also contains the qere in brackets. 

Type HMT in your library search bar and you should be able to see if you own the HMT-W4 and the syntax should show up as well.

You can change your card number during the checkout process.

post-31158-0-03693100-1582166410_thumb.png

Edited by Jordan S

Ja, ja, ja, trouble sleeping. Yes, I have the HMT-W4, I just checked that with purchases. What does the Syntax of the Hebrew Bible do? Looks interesting.

It allows you to do full syntax searches by creating a data tree to search for. You essentially link together what you are searching for (for example: wayyiqtol + qatal and it will find examples of the verbs together- granted this is just an off the top of my head example and not an actual search pattern I have done or constructed). Very useful but may not turn up everything you are specifically hunting as Michael has pointed out.

• Like 1

Ok, so it took me a while to purchase the HMT-W4 syntax unit. Thanks to all. So now, how do I get it to look like your page, Jordan?

I'm not finding an easy way to share my printscreen with you. So let me describe what it looks like. It shows up with Genesis 1:9 beginning with the parts of each word, WAW, then SAY, then ELOHIM, and so on, with arrows between these different words. Nice, but I don't see how I can move to make my page look like yours. And then, I would like to search for some basic construct chains, such as those that include a proper noun, for instance, and do a search. Or, a pronominal suffix, or a definite article. I'll try one at a time. But I don't see where you got your menu to do such a thing.

Click "File" >"New Tab"> "Construct"> "Hebrew"- Then you can build the search. I use the syntax module to look at the deeper syntax and clause structure. Here is Jordan's search with the Syntax Module:

post-35191-0-33061100-1582227403_thumb.png

Edited by MattChristian

If you save the image as a png or tiff it can be attached to the post. Hit the More Reply Options button below the post text box and you'll see an option to attach files.

I use the Snipping Tool on Windows to capture the snips and it can save in the right format.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Here are the three panels, with the Syntax one to the far right. I need to know how to move from here to the one that Jordan shared.

post-35461-0-43860700-1582228835_thumb.png

Or, did I misunderstand and I do not need this HMT-W4 syntax module in order to do what Jordan showed me?

Gregorio,

You can open a new construct window through the file menu (File > New Tab > Construct > Hebrew) or using a shortcut (Cmd-3 on Mac). If your HMT-W4 is already open, then Accordance should create the link between the Text and the Construct. Otherwise, use the LINK command.

• Like 1

Or, did I misunderstand and I do not need this HMT-W4 syntax module in order to do what Jordan showed me?

I believe I was talking about the built in construct searches and may have mis-understood you. The Syntax Module is basically clause diagrams that analyze the parts of speech and separate them via hierarchy and does not do the actual construct search Jordan is doing. I use the two modules together to see how what I search for is interacting on a clause level with what is around it. I apologize if I mis-communicated or did not understand your questions. They are both great tools and especially when used together!

• Like 1

Thanks, Jordan, before, I was not able to figure how you got there. This is great and I will start playing with it and see how far I can get. Many thanks! I am thrilled. I am thrilled with this construct TAB.

Thanks so much, Matt. I was so anxious to get to the construct tab that I got confused.

• Like 1