jlm

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:05 AM

One of the first things I acquired for Accordance are the texts of Vatican II in Latin and English. The texts are well chosen: AAS is the official Latin text, and Flannery's edition is the best translation. However, I soon noticed that it is inconvenient to look up texts in them. The normal way of citing these documents is by section number, e.g., "Lumen gentium 16" or "LG 16". The section numbers are present in the text, but are not tagged in any way, so there is no way to quickly navigate to a particular document and section number. The table of contents divides the documents into chapters, which are rarely used in citing the documents.

It would not be enough to simply tag the existing section numbers, because they are relative to the document, and the module contains 16 documents. Instead, in place of a section number like "11.", you could put the initials of the document and the section number (e.g., "[DV 11]"), tagging the whole bracketed range as a Section field. This would make it possible to quickly look up citations by searching the new Section field, and would also make it possible to link to sections in other resources (Catechism of the Catholic Church, Catholic Commentary of Sacred Scripture, …) and in user content.

Further, although page numbers are marked with numbers in brackets in the Vatican II Latin module, they are not tagged as page numbers, and are consequently not used by the "Copy as citation" function. Please tag the page numbers. If "copy as citation" produced something like the following, it would be genuinely useful: “Divinitus revelata, quae in Sacra Scriptura litteris continentur et prostant, Spiritu Sancto afflante consignata sunt” (Vatican II, Dei verbum 11, in AAS 58 (1966) 822).

Edited by jlm, 24 February 2020 - 05:09 AM.

• Fabian likes this

#2 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:02 AM

+1

I even would love if I can tag the German ones I did as a User Tool for the CIC17 and 83. 

• jlm likes this
Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bugs, I describe.

PLEASE!
Bring more international Bibles to the store,
fix my reported bugs, even the old ones which never was addressed,
develop my feature requests, the new once and the once I made years ago,
in nearer future.

#3 jlm

jlm

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

"3/4/20 Update: The update to version 3.0 contains significant updates. Page numbers were added, as well as the ability to search by section."

Thank you very much for adding section numbers. This is a great help. The web pages for the two resources (Vatican II-L cited above, see also Vatican II-E) also say page numbers were added, but I don't see a Page Numbers field when I go to search the resource. Is this something you plan to add, or is there some mistake?

Edited by jlm, 07 March 2020 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users