Basic qutestion about triple click.

Jesse Dornfeld

Hello.

Most of the time when I triple click a word, I am looking to find what it says about that word in the lexicon(s). But sometimes it doesn't even bring up the lexicon(s) but instead a different dictionary. How do I change this?

Also, there is a word in Mark 6:50 that doesn't allow me to look up the greek because it is two words. I believe it is Jesus saying, "I AM" but because the "I" is really two greek words it doesn't search the lexicon.

Edited by Jesse D

If the specific text isn't Greek or Hebrew tagged, it will always go to the default dictionary.  (If a particular word in a tagged version isn't tagged, nothing will happen).  

The 'NIV with enhanced G/K numbers' will probably address your second issue.  Most greek lexicons only deal with single words.  The NIV enhanced deals with phrases, forms and compound words much more effectively.

see https://www.accordancebible.com/NIV11-GKE

Paul.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

If the specific text isn't Greek or Hebrew tagged, it will always go to the default dictionary.  (If a particular word in a tagged version isn't tagged, nothing will happen).  

The 'NIV with enhanced G/K numbers' will probably address your second issue.  Most greek lexicons only deal with single words.  The NIV enhanced deals with phrases, forms and compound words much more effectively.

see https://www.accordancebible.com/NIV11-GKE

Paul.

Hi, Paul. Thanks for your post.

I know when I had Accordance 12 this worked just fine for me when I was using ESV with Strongs. Now it seems my default dictionary changed. How do I change it back?

• Like 1

The default dictionary for a language is chosen in Preferences -> Amplify.  Fabian's suggestion works, but is more steps.

• Like 1

Thanks all!

My problem was that I had an override for the Key Numbers in Preferences>Amplify.

Edited by Jesse D
  • Like 1

Hi, I have a question relating to this general topic.

Is there a way I can set things up so I can choose which dictionary is used on triple click? Let's say this one time I want to use the "New Bible Dictionary" instead of "BDB Abridged" is there like a shift key or something I can press to change this on the fly? I ask because while "One Click" is very useful sometimes, sometimes I just want to read about a specific thing really quick, just to double check something.

So is there a way to set up alternate dictionaries on different key press while triple clicking or something?

Thanks.

For key number texts, if you hold down Shift when triple clicking, you'll go to the English dictionary instead of Greek/Hebrew.  Is this what you mean?

• Like 1

For key number texts, if you hold down Shift when triple clicking, you'll go to the English dictionary instead of Greek/Hebrew.  Is this what you mean?

Yes, exactly, thanks! I just didn't know how to check. Is it possible to change the Lexicon this way? So can I press a key that changes what lexicon opens?

For triple click, you are limited to just the two lexicons: Greek/Hebrew (based on the key number), and English.  If you want more control than that, you'll have to do it in one of the many other ways to amplify in Accordance:

1) Live Click on the word to see it in all of your lexicons.

2) Use the Amplify item on the Menu or Toolbar

3) Keep your Library open and click the amplify button next to your desired resource

4) Make a workspace containing all of the lexicons you like and amplify to it.

5) [Mac only] add your other lexicons, or a folder of them, to the toolbar.

• Like 1

Thanks.

What is the amplify button?

How do I amplify to a workspace?

1) The Amplify button may be on your toolbar.  If not, you can Windows -> Customize Toolbar to add it on there.  Its identical to the Amplify menu, but is a nice big icon to click on :)

2) Any workspace you construct can be saved as a favorite using the Workspaces toolbar button, 'Add Workspace…'.  Once added, it will appear on that Workspaces list, and selecting a workspace from that list will amplify to it.  This accomplishes the task of searching everything in that workspace for your selection - potentially very powerful and flexible!

• Like 1

1) The Amplify button may be on your toolbar.  If not, you can Windows -> Customize Toolbar to add it on there.  Its identical to the Amplify menu, but is a nice big icon to click on :)

2) Any workspace you construct can be saved as a favorite using the Workspaces toolbar button, 'Add Workspace…'.  Once added, it will appear on that Workspaces list, and selecting a workspace from that list will amplify to it.  This accomplishes the task of searching everything in that workspace for your selection - potentially very powerful and flexible!

Thank you so much for explaining these things to me!

While I am here...

I might as well ask what is the most efficient way to search for multiple terms in multiple places in multiple languages. Would this just be easiest with one click? The problem is that I want to search Hebrew terms without vowls and since I don't know Hebrew, I have to first search the word in English, then triple click the word, then erase the vowls, then search in the lexicon(s). This is a hassle especially when I don't know Hebrew and it talkes me like 3-4 steps to do everything I want*.

*NOTE: I am VERY thankful for Accordance and the ability to be able to do this stuff at all as if I were to try and do this before the internet, it would be WAY more work.

Edited by Jesse D

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "multiple terms in multiple places in multiple languages".  However, the idea of going from English -> Hebrew lexicon is a good one.  Remember that you can triple click from a lexicon too.  Often I would triple click in an English text to get its key lexicon, then triple click from that to go to the Hebrew lexicon.

If this isn't what you are referring to, can you elaborate more on what you are trying to accomplish, especially with a specific example?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "multiple terms in multiple places in multiple languages".  However, the idea of going from English -> Hebrew lexicon is a good one.  Remember that you can triple click from a lexicon too.  Often I would triple click in an English text to get its key lexicon, then triple click from that to go to the Hebrew lexicon.

If this isn't what you are referring to, can you elaborate more on what you are trying to accomplish, especially with a specific example?

Hi, thanks for answering.

This is an example that came up recently...

I want to search "soul <OR> spirit" in both the OT and NT with a selected Lexicon. Naturally, that means I have to do the process I talked about. I have to do my search for soul and spirit, then triple click one word and that would bring me to one lexicon, but I need to open 4 lexicons total. I am also working with some of the Analytics, but I will save that for now. If I can do all four lexicons (two OT, two NT) in a separate workspace, that would be amazing, but I am not going to hold my breath on that.

This is exactly what you want to use a Favorite Workspace for.  Add your 4 lexicons (and whatever else you like) to a workspace, save it as a favorite, then amplify to it using the Workspaces toolbar icon.  All 4 will always be searched, regardless of the selection.

• Like 2

This is exactly what you want to use a Favorite Workspace for.  Add your 4 lexicons (and whatever else you like) to a workspace, save it as a favorite, then amplify to it using the Workspaces toolbar icon.  All 4 will always be searched, regardless of the selection.

Hi. I really appreciate you helping me.

I cannot figure out how to get it to work. I have my 5 tabs open (NET Bible w/ s and 2x2 Lexicons). I just don't know what to do from here. Do I highlight some text from another workspace or something? I tried using the amplify thing (which I have not really used before) and IDK how to get it to work. I am sure I will love Accordance even more once I can figure this out. I tried searching in the "help" tab to no avail.

Here's the page in the Help:

You are here: Getting Started with Accordance > Using the Library > Work with Favorite Workspaces

Once you have a workspace set, follow the help and add it as a favorite.  It should then show up in the list of workspaces under your Workspaces button on the toolbar.  If it does, you are almost done!  Now you can amplify to your workspace.  Just select some text and do Right Click -> My Workspaces, or select that workspace from the Workspaces button.

• Like 1

I think I have some bugs.

Sometimes when I triple click nothing happens. And sometimes when I try and amplify a search already done, I cannot do it. I tried the big button and everything is grayed out.

How do I amplify with multiple terms like "soul <and> spirit" at the same time (using scope of a paragraph here)?

Is it possible the bugs have something to do with TLV and searching in it (I am trying multiple translations)?

Edited by Jesse D

I'm still having trouble with triple click. There are two setting in amplify that I don't really know what they do or how they work.

When I have the "Override Key Numbers Dictionaries" selected, when I triple click nothing happens and IDK why.

I also do not know what "Include reference when amplifying from the text to tool (override with shift key)" actually does.

When you triple-click on a Key Number Text (like the KJVS, NIV-GKE, ESVS, etc.), the default dictionary for that Text opens. The default dictionary for the KJVS is the Strong's Dictionary, for the ESVS it's the Mounce or Mounce/Kohlenberger Dictionary. Those dictionaries are hard-coded to the specific Text, and (in the past) you couldn't change them. Now, however, by selecting "Override Key Number Dictionaries", you can select a different Hebrew or Greek Lexicon in the amplify settings, and then when you triple-click it will bypass the hard-coded dictionary, and go to the lexicon of your choice.

If you have "Include reference when amplifying from a Text to Tool" selected, when you triple-click on a word (let's say you triple-click on "earth" in Genesis 1:1). It will open the lexicon you've selected to the entry for "eretz", AND it will find any reference to Genesis 1:1 in that article. The idea is to help you find the specific context of the word you're looking for in the lexicon.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

When you triple-click on a Key Number Text (like the KJVS, NIV-GKE, ESVS, etc.), the default dictionary for that Text opens. The default dictionary for the KJVS is the Strong's Dictionary, for the ESVS it's the Mounce or Mounce/Kohlenberger Dictionary. Those dictionaries are hard-coded to the specific Text, and (in the past) you couldn't change them. Now, however, by selecting "Override Key Number Dictionaries", you can select a different Hebrew or Greek Lexicon in the amplify settings, and then when you triple-click it will bypass the hard-coded dictionary, and go to the lexicon of your choice.

If you have "Include reference when amplifying from a Text to Tool" selected, when you triple-click on a word (let's say you triple-click on "earth" in Genesis 1:1). It will open the lexicon you've selected to the entry for "eretz", AND it will find any reference to Genesis 1:1 in that article. The idea is to help you find the specific context of the word you're looking for in the lexicon.

Thank you Mark, that thoroughly answers my questions.

Edited by Jesse D
  • Like 1