Aramaic Text? And Lexicons.

Jesse Dornfeld

I know some of the Bible is written in Aramaic text. I am wondering when I should think about getting those parts of the Bible in that Aramaic text. Obviously I cannot read Aramaic text so having a lexicon for that I think I would need. I believe I don't have any Arimaic text in any of my Bibles as all I have is the Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica).

Also, I am looking to expand my lexicons. I was thinking of getting the BDB Abridged upgraded to the full version, but I do also want to get an expanded Greek Lexicon as well.

So my budget is about $80. There are some lexicons on sale this week. What do you recommend?

I believe I don't have any Arimaic text in any of my Bibles as all I have is the Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica).

The Hebrew Bible (BHS = Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) does actually contain the Aramaic portions of the Tanakh ("OT"), which according to a quick reference online, include the following:

- Ezra 4:8-6:18

- Daniel 2:4-7:28

- Jeremiah 10:11

- isolated phrases, like "Jegar Sahaduta" in Gen 31:47

It's called "the Hebrew Bible," because the vast majority is of it is written in Biblical Hebrew, but it also contains those few passages in Aramaic above, along with dozens of Egyptian, Persian, Greek, etc. loan words scattered throughout.

For the writings of Yeshua's followers ("NT"), there are Aramaic / Syriac versions--most well known, is the Peshitta, and also the Old Syriac versions.  You would want this package: https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Peshitta%20add-on&cart_pid=Peshitta%20add-on&cart_action=add&cart_type=cart

Also, I am looking to expand my lexicons. I was thinking of getting the BDB Abridged upgraded to the full version, but I do also want to get an expanded Greek Lexicon as well.

The BDB Complete (unabridged) is good for the Hebrew, and the Aramaic in the Tanakh, discussed up above.  It will have both the Hebrew words and the Aramaic words (see attached example of an Aramaic word in BDB).

If that meets your budget, go for it.  I don't think any of the other lexicons do right now--even on sale.  I won't speak to the Greek right now, but only Hebrew and Aramaic.  BDB Complete is a good starting point.  Eventually, you would want to have HALOT, TDOT, and others.

post-35231-0-37636900-1583909584_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2