Tagged Arabic Qur’an (QURAN-T): What version ("transmitter") is this?

TYA

I've done some background reading on the Quran / Koran recently, and it seems that there are different versions (called "transmitters" / "readers") of the Quran used in various parts of the world.  For instance, one called 1924 Egyptian Standard edition, based on Imam Halfs, and another called the Warsh transmission, used in North Africa.

Interestingly, an article I read listed in vivid detail variants (or several kinds) between these two versions (how much more, between half a dozen other "transmissions" of the Quran). So what text is used in Quran-T in Accordance?  The product page didn't get into these details.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Here's the module info:

post-30445-0-28740300-1584966801_thumb.png

And here's some further information:

Tanzil: http://tanzil.net/docs/Tanzil_Project

Leeds: http://corpus.quran.com/faq.jsp

Quran Gateway (Andy Bannister): https://info.qurangateway.org/about/

Edited by Graham Buck
  • Like 1

Thanks, Graham, for this information.

Does the Quran-T not include glosses (translations) in the morphological tagging.  There only seem to be grammatical terms, but not an actual translation / gloss for the Arabic there.  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Does the Quran-T not include glosses (translations) in the morphological tagging.  There only seem to be grammatical terms, but not an actual translation / gloss for the Arabic there.  Am I missing something?

Yes in opposite to the ETCBC, the Qur'an-T have no gloss in the Instant Details.

It shows only in interlinear mode, but thats remind me of the bug I reported yesterday.

Edited by Fabian

The QURAN-T glosses supplied by the publisher were only of the base, root forms.  We spent some significant effort doing a partial breakdown, but it is far from complete.

• Like 1

Joel, Thank you for that information. Are there any future plans to expand on Quran-T module specifically, and also to add additional Islamic content in general? Thanks

• Like 3

Joel, Thank you for that information. Are there any future plans to expand on Quran-T module specifically, and also to add additional Islamic content in general? Thanks

+1 and the syntax tree(s) would be a unique feature.

• Like 1

I have two Arabic Qurans on my shelf. One is printed in Egypt and uses Hafz and the other is printed in Saudia Arabia and, according to the site that was listed above from the tanzil project, also follows Hafz.  It notes the following, "The Medina Mushaf (officially: Mushaf al-Madinah an-Nabawiyyah, Arabic: مصحف المدينة النبوية) is an authentic copy of the holy quran printed by King Fahad Complex for Printing of the Holy Quran . The Complex publishes the holy quran according to three famous narration, i.e., Hafs, Warsh, and Ad-Duriyy. The Quran text provided by Tanzil is based on the Medina Mushaf, narration of Hafs." 

Traditionally these reciters have more to do with tajweed (rules for reciting the Quran out loud) than differences in the actual text (although so scholars have pointed out that there are differences between the two in terms of the words). 

• Like 1

The QURAN-T glosses supplied by the publisher were only of the base, root forms.

I don't remember reading this on the product page.  I'm not sure what "gloss list with basic English meanings" would then refer to in the product page...

"This package of Quranic resources includes the Qur’an in the original Arabic (tagged). The text includes lexical forms, grammatical analysis (parsing) and a gloss list with basic English meanings

Since every other tagged resource I have in Accordance includes English glosses, whether Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Latin, etc., I think the user probably assumes that the Quran would have English glosses too.  Unless I'm missing something, you may want to consider clarifying that on the product page.

Wait: now I see on the "Quran bundle" product description, the following:

Only available in Accordance: The fully searchable Arabic Qur'an with morphological tagging can be viewed in parallel with the text and notes of the Annotated Translation by Droge, and three public domain English translations. This product contains the following Qur'an products: Tagged Arabic Qur’an (QURAN-T): Text is based on Leeds University Qur’an database with improvements and corrections by Dr. Andrew Bannister. (Requires Accordance 12.2 or above.) Now includes preliminary English glosses. Three English Translations By Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall (QURAN-P) By Abdullah Yusuf Ali (QURAN-A) By Mohammedali Habib Shakir (QURAN-S) The Qur’an: A New Annotated Translation (Droge) (QURAN-D) With an accompanying Notes module (QURAN-D Notes) Note: While the minimum Accordance requirement for this product is 10.4, it is recommended users have a minimum of Accordance 12.2 in order to experience the full features of the accompanying Notes module of the QURAN-D translation.

But the name of "allah" doesn't even have an English gloss, so just how "preliminary" are we talking?  Anyway, just a suggestion for the user.

post-35231-0-53101200-1585535125_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA