Using Whiteboard to create Custom Map Animations

David Lang

Now that seemingly everyone is teaching online, some of you may find this helpful.

I just published a YouTube video about the story of Naaman, and wanted a way to illustrate the geographical aspects of the story using the Accordance Atlas. There is no animated route for Naaman, so I used Accordance 13's new whiteboard feature to circle sites and trace journeys and rivers. I did a screen recording to capture it all, and then incorporated it into the video.

Here's a link to the video if you'd like to check it out: https://youtu.be/SMkItWorO4Y

• Like 6

It would be interesting to know what other software you used to split the screen. I have been using ecamm and been very satisfied with it.

Tony, I'm just using Apple's iMovie, which lets you put two videos together in a variety of ways. You can do side-by-side as I did in that video, or picture-in-picture, or switch between two videos.

I originally did the screen recording with voiceover, thinking I would just cut to it, but I ended up re-doing it without speaking—just doing the movements I wanted to show. Then I recorded my discussion of the passage, and added in bits of the screen recording where appropriate.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1