Package economics

mhanel

I'm sure this has been asked before over the years, but here goes anyway...

Is there any difference in savings by buying a higher priced packaged rather than buying a lower priced package and then later upgrading to a higher one?

So all other things being equal, do I save money if I buy English Expert today vs. I buy English Pro today and then say 6 months from now I decided to upgrade to English Expert or in the end would the amount I spend be the same?

thanks!

All I can say to that, which you probably already know anyway, is that Accordance is good about not charging you twice for something you already have.  I myself have gone progressively through certain packages (Pro to Expert, and so on), taking advantage of sales, and the modules I already have are always factored in when I make the next purchase.

While I can't speak explicitly to your particular question, I will also advise that it *seems* to me that buying modules that are in collections is a better way to get them than purchasing them individually, outside of collections.  In other words, it *seems* that (from my memory, when analyzing prices), you get a better deal when buying the collections.

Edited by TYA

All I can say to that, which you probably already know anyway, is that Accordance is good about not charging you twice for something you already have.  I myself have gone progressively through certain packages (Pro to Expert, and so on), taking advantage of sales, and the modules I already have are always factored in when I make the next purchase.

While I can't speak explicitly to your particular question, I will also advise that it *seems* to me that buying modules that are in collections is a better way to get them than purchasing them individually, outside of collections.  In other words, it *seems* that (from my memory, when analyzing prices), you get a better deal when buying the collections.

Maybe there is a discount per item overall, but after looking over the packages, I can save about $200 by sticking with the Greek/Hebrew Learner package as opposed to stepping up to the Discoverer (while buying the different titles not included individually). I save quite a bit with the Learner + individual purchases than I would from the Greek Pro. 

That said, I'm not certain if you get a discount from upgrading one to another (the system doesn't show me those discounts).

Additionally, I think this is highly subjective depending on what tools you actually need or can use. Yes, by overall count, there are more tools in the higher packages. But, will you actually USE all those tools?

I'm personally having a really difficult time switching from theWord to Accordance because of the ridiculous prices on commentary sets. $1400? Really? If I were not outgrowing theWord there would be no allure to switch at all, just based on tool availability and price. I can have virtually all the same tools (modules) in theWord for less than $100. But, it lacks in certain features (dynamic interlinear, import pdfs, instant parsing, analytics, advanced search, etc). These kinds of abilities are not currently available and don't seem to be a priority. 

But, I'm not going to ever pay $1000 for a commentary. I don't care how good it is. 

For me, I had to break each package down by individual module in a spreadsheet, then compare them with each package that looked interesting to me. I thought I would want the Greek Pro, but I saved by getting a lower package and purchasing additional modules as add-ons. I also plan to buy during a sale to get 25% off the top, so I can add more tools I would "like" to have to get back to the top price I'm willing to pay. 

I don't have much money (that is also relative), but I've been really spoiled by the community over at theWord the last several years. Most everything is free and abundant. Needless to say, I'm suffering now from sticker shock!

From my experience you do pay a small amount more going through the upgrade process. (But for me, its been worth it as it helped with cash flow and i got the resources as i needed them over a period of time but had the core resources quickly and the cost was very marginal.)

Because pro is a much larger package, each of the items in it will have a greater discount than in expert. So you will end up paying slightly more if you go through the upgrade route. It wont be a huge amount but there will be a slight difference, you could try asking the sales team to see if they can give you an exact amount. 

Edited by ukfraser

I'm sure this has been asked before over the years, but here goes anyway...

Is there any difference in savings by buying a higher priced packaged rather than buying a lower priced package and then later upgrading to a higher one?

So all other things being equal, do I save money if I buy English Expert today vs. I buy English Pro today and then say 6 months from now I decided to upgrade to English Expert or in the end would the amount I spend be the same?

thanks!

The upgrade from one package to the next has to be not more than 90 days. To get the most for your money. Its called grace period. For more information best you call the sales about this.

If you are going to upgrade your package you should always try and wait for the next 20-25% sale.  There's no guarantee that these will be repeated in the future but my experience tells me that they do pop up 2 or 3 times a year.  These sales combined with the custom upgrade has always proved to be the best value for me.

n.b. the sale is on now.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1