modern French Bible

Kristin

I am in need of a modern French Bible. I have a French Bible called the Louis Segond Bible, but it was apparently published in 1910, which is obviously too old for a modern French student. 

So I did some research and found that La Bible du Semeur is similar to the NIV (which would be good). Accordance does not seem to carry La Bible du Semeur though. Is this correct? If that is correct, does Accordance have a French Bible in modern language (with an NIV, ESV readability)?

Thank you for any help you are able to provide.

Sincerely,
Kristin
  • Like 2

Hi Kristin,

The most modern French Bible in Accordance would either be the Segond révisée (SEGR) or the NEG79. Both came out at about the same time. I personally find the Segond Révisée à little more natural than the NEG79. It's the one I use on a regular basis here in France for teaching, preaching and Bible study. It's fairly close to the Greek and Hebrew but not so much so that it's stilted in its expression.

I'm personally not too much of a fan of the Semeur. It's very readable and, because of that, well adapted to public reading, but I think it would have benefitted from a wider spectrum of translators. As it is, it is sometimes fairly tendentious.

On the other hand, I would love to see Accordance offer the new Bible en français courant that came out last fall. It's an important text and very readable (hint, hint, folks at Accordance!). I've already made that known here. If there's enough demand, that could perhaps happen.

• Like 2

Hi Donald,

Thank you very much for your response and recommendation. :) I appreciate it.

Take care,

Kristin

• Like 1