Strange result – error in NET-GNT?

Julia Falling

I did a research tab search for δακρυον and got a very strange result.  I was searching my Koine texts, including the extra-Biblical ones.  I found the variant in Mk 9:24, where the word occurs only in the Byz and TR, but not in any of the other Gk NTs.  So the GNT-28 has 10 uses where the Byz & TR have 11. No big deal – such additions to the Byz/TR are to be expected.

The very odd result is that the research tab search gave me only 2 uses in the NET-GNT, where the others have 10 (or 11).  So I did a simple search in the NET-GNT for δακρυον, and again got only 2 uses.  I ran the search again, this time in the GNT-28 with the NET-GNT in parallel, and got the expected 10 hits in the GNT-28.  Scrolling through the results showed me that I had exactly the same form of δακρυον in the NET-GNT as I did in the GNT-28 in every verse. 

Perplexed, I tried one more search — a text search for δακρυον in the NET-GNT by way the the GNT-28.  This time I got the expected 10 hits.

I have no idea what's going on, but it looks like an error in the NET-GNT.

P.S.  The odd result did not bring me to tears!

• Like 1

Julia, the NET-GNT is not a tagged text in the same way as the GNT28-T is. When you search for δακρυον in the NET-GNT you are doing the equivalent of an inflected search. (Search for "δακρυον" in the GNT28-T - 2 hits). The NET-GNT is keyed to Strong's numbers, it does not have lexical information so any search for a set of letters (=word) will always be an inflected search.

If you search for the key number in the NET-GNT [KEY G1144] you will get the expected 10 results.

Does that make any sense?

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thanks, Ken.  That explains my result.  Not an error, just a text that lack the tagging we have in many of our other Greek texts.