Problems with verse/paragraph presentation

Donald Cobb

Hi all,

As of late, the verse/paragraph settings in my iPad have become very unstable. My usual reading habits when reading OT texts are to put SEGR (French Louis Segond révisée) in parallel with HMT, with SEGR being the primary text, and have both set for "paragraphs with space". I then read them side by side in Landscape mode. 

A while ago, the Hebrew text started switching all of a sudden to "separate verses," especially when I would scroll back up to a portion of the text that was no long on the screen. Since the last few days, however, the primary text has been doing this as well, and it has now become constant: I'll put the setting to "paragraph with spaces", start reading and then, as I move up or down the text it switches to separate verses. 

Is anyone else having this happen? I don't believe I've seen it with the GNT, only the Hebrew text. I've tried removing the saved session to see if that helps, but no improvement. Any help with this would be much appreciated as it makes reading extremely frustrating! Thanks!

There are no paragraphs in the Hebrew Bible (at least none recognized as such by Accordance). Each chapter is a paragraph. I wonder whether what you are seeing is the result of coding to prevent the crashes that occur in some texts when paragraph display is used, but the resulting sections are too long, such as Philo.

Thank you Helen. I got a similar response when I called technical assistance. There are actually two things going on. 1) The Hebrew text switches to verse by verse presentation as soon as I move up or down. But also, 2) it makes the parallel text (SEGR in my case) do the same thing. I don't believe I was seeing this before a couple weeks ago.

Because of this, I've given up reading the OT in my iPad, which is kind of a deal breaker. It's frustrating to say the least. Isn't there any kind of workaround?

Number 2) IMO can only be a bug.

As far as number 1) goes, for me, that's a strong additional argument to conform the HMT text to the BHS layout, discussed about a year and a half ago here (as well as here, and here).