Holmstedt- Biblical Hebrew Syntax: A Linguistic Introduction

MattChristianOT

Per Request- Please look into this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Biblical-Hebrew-Syntax-Linguistic-Introduction/dp/1540962326/ref=sr_1_3?crid=BZ01VYSC4DBS&dchild=1&keywords=robert+holmstedt&qid=1587159845&sprefix=Robert+Holm%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-3

• Series: Learning Biblical Hebrew
  • Paperback: 192 pages
  • Publisher: Baker Academic (October 27, 2020)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1540962326
  • ISBN-13: 978-1540962324
  • Like 4

FYI, that volume is just a bit delayed (6 months), because I realized that we needed to finish drafting our advanced BH textbook (now mostly done) before I finished the final draft of my syntax. The advanced textbook is, in my opinion, pretty darned cool.

(In the meantime, I can't help but to add a little promotion here.)

p.s. anyone who would like to take a look at the advanced textbook (instructor version) in return for providing feedback should send me a DM.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 4

FYI, that volume is just a bit delayed (6 months), because I realized that we needed to finish drafting our advanced BH textbook (now mostly done) before I finished the final draft of my syntax. The advanced textbook is, in my opinion, pretty darned cool.

(In the meantime, I can't help but to add a little promotion here.)

p.s. anyone who would like to take a look at the advanced textbook (instructor version) in return for providing feedback should send me a DM.

No worries- Can't wait to see both volumes- Sent DM as well

• 1 year later...

Baker Academic says Robert’s Biblical Hebrew Syntax: A Linguistic Introduction will come out in Aug. 2022 (http://bakerpublishinggroup.com/books/biblical-hebrew-syntax/401091).

Logos says the book is in production and can be pre-ordered.

Is Accordance planning to offer it too?

Thanks.

Michel

I requested it (along with the Intro and Intermediate grammars) a couple months ago, but was told it did not have a firm release date, and there were no files available. Perhaps Robert could fill us in on its progress. I couldn't speak to how Logos already has the book in production.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jordan,

I go on leave in January have promised Baker I'd submit it by April. It is *that* close to being done.

For a variety of reasons, some personal and some of which everyone has experienced, the last 18 months have been a difficult period for productivity.  

FWIW, when Cook and I submit our advanced textbook, I intend on specifying that Baker work with Accordance for an e-version.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Thanks, Jordan and Robert,

It looks like the Holmstedt, Cook, (and hopefully Long) Hebrew grammar/syntax bundle that I wished for will eventually become a reality (https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/28646-a-hebrew-grammar-bundle-cook-holmstedt-holmstedt-and-long/#comment-140597).

Robert, sorry to hear about some difficulties. Your work is very much appreciated; thanks for what you are able to produce.

Best regards to you both,

Michel

19 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

Logos says the book is in production and can be pre-ordered.

Based on what's been revealed above by @Jordan S and @Robert Holmstedt, I have no idea how production is being defined by our friendly competitors.

• Haha 1

Hi, Rick,

I don’t know what they mean. I just saw it yesterday at https://www.logos.com/product/190445/biblical-hebrew-syntax-a-linguistic-introduction .

My main point was that Logos will be offering it, so is Accordance planning to also?

I wondered because I asked for Robert’s (and John’s) Beginning Biblical Hebrew seven years ago at https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/13703-beginning-biblical-hebrew-a-grammar-and-illustrated-reader-by-cook-holmstedt/#comment-65149 , and Helen said Accordance was pursuing it more than four years ago, and I requested their Intermediate Biblical Hebrew last year. Neither has showed up so far.

I’m glad that Jordan said you are pursuing these.

Michel

@Michel Gilbert, all I meant was I don't know how our competitors could say they had the title in production (which usually means that they have the digital files on site and are actively working on formatting them for the software) if @Robert Holmstedt has not delivered a final copy to the publisher yet. 

I would add that I'm teaching with our advanced grammar this coming spring and hope to put the finishing touches on it so we can (hopefully) submit it to Baker before the end of 2022. I also have in works a companion to Robert's syntax volume covering the verbal system—both the tense-aspect-mood side and argument structure/valency and the binyanim. I'm not as far along as Robert is with his volume, but I hope to submit it to Baker late 2022 or early 2023.

• Like 6

Michel and Rick -- it is because Baker got a little ahead of themselves and listed it in their catalogue a year ago and so it was also listed on Amazon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

+1

• 5 months later...

I was eagerly anticipating this book, but August has come and gone. Is there any news that you can share, Robert? I’m also looking forward to the advanced grammar.

MIchel

No need to apologize. I will just keep waiting in eager anticipation. Your work is very much appreciated.