5 replies to this topic

#1 Enoch

Enoch

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:36 PM

No, Mounce is not a replacement.  I just checked Mounce on Daniel 4:17 where it is said that God puts the basest (KJV) or lowest (ASV) of men on the throne.  When I checked Mounce in Accordance, neither basest nor lowest (nor base nor low) brought up the Hebrew word for it & its meaning.  The intro to Mounce says like, "Not just keyed to KJV."  Well, Mounce does not include all the KJV words which you would want to look up. And a work like this should at least have the KJV words, good as it is to add other versions.  To find the Mounce entry, I had to go & find the Hebrew word & paste it into the search with Hebrew selected. Then it came up; but that largely defeats the purpose of a Vine's Expository Dictionary.

So I was disappointed to find that Mounce was not a substitute & improvement on Vine.  Now I see Vine on Ebay for about $11 in print, but it can be a convenience to have it included in Accordance.

So, I request that Vine be an Accordance module.  Aside from being a tool for those who don't know the original languages, Vine's interpretations are in themselves valuable. 

• R. Mansfield likes this

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,952 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:32 PM

Checking into this for you, Enoch.

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#3 HansK

HansK

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Bible History & Interpretation, Legal metaphors, Cimmerians, Nespresso
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:02 PM

@Enoch & @Richard

This has been asked before on this forum. I would also have this reference work in accordance. Vine is somewhat outdated, but still useful for reference.And as an addition to Mounce and Renn.

Vine belonged to the same movement as the well known F.F. Bruce (Open Brethren) and the two knew each other.

Hans

#4 Enoch

Enoch

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the response, Gentlemen.   I was a student of F. F. Bruce at U of Manchester.  

I think of Bruce & Vine as having had quite different approaches to scripture.

Vine has been around a while -- and I don't know how much of the OT was done by him.  But I don't know of any lexicographer who has improved on him with regard to listing English Bible words and giving original language meanings under those English head words.  I was thinking Mounce would be such and was disappointed. Vine gives much more than glosses.

Edited by Enoch, 29 April 2020 - 08:21 PM.

#5 Dan Wagner

Dan Wagner

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:02 PM

Would love to see Vine's. 

#6 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,952 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:42 PM

Good news, Enoch: we have Vine’s under contract with Harper Collins. No word yet on when it will be completed and released. 

• Daniel Francis likes this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users