Tagging for אֲכָלָ֑תְהוּ

Bielikov

Should 3fs Qal end in a HEY? As a beginning student, I noticed that Accordance tags אֲכָלָ֑תְהוּ as a 3fs with a 3ms suffix, as אֲכָלָ֑תְהוּ. Should it be, instead,   אֲכָלָ֑תְה

What verse?

a letter hey at the end (suffix) usually denotes feminine.  But הו as the suffix is 3rd masculine singular.  The אֲכָלָ֑תְ part of the word indicates that it is Qal 3rd person feminine singular, while the הו suffix is 3rd masculine singular.  It means "she ate him".  If  you are referring to Gen 37:20, then the "she" is a wild beast (fem.), and the "him" is Yoseph (masc.)

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

What verse?

a letter hey at the end (suffix) usually denotes feminine.  But הו as the suffix is 3rd masculine singular.  The אֲכָלָ֑תְ part of the word indicates that it is Qal 3rd person feminine singular, while the הו suffix is 3rd masculine singular.  It means "she ate him".  If  you are referring to Gen 37:20, then the "she" is a wild beast (fem.), and the "him" is Yoseph (masc.)

TYA, indeed, Genesis 37:20. Thanks so much. I am looking at my verb table, Strong Qal, and it shows the traditional HEY ending. Are there more examples of a 3fs like this one for me to study? Many thanks, once again, for letting me know that this is correct the way it is.

Edited by Bielikov

Bielikov,

You can find more examples fairly easily. Remember that there are two parts to this word, the verb and the suffix, each having their own forms to indicate person, gender, and number. So, open the Hebrew text, go to the Search menu, and choose the desired tags for the verb and then again for the suffix. Eg, ‎[VERB feminine]‎[sUFFIX masculine]‏ . You can also further refine the tags to be singular, Qal, etc. 

(Btw, I'm learning Hebrew right now and keeping the suffixes straight in my head is  :wacko: )

Jonathan

Edited by JonathanHuber
  • Like 1

Bielikov,

You can find more examples fairly easily. Remember that there are two parts to this word, the verb and the suffix, each having their own forms to indicate person, gender, and number. So, open the Hebrew text, go to the Search menu, and choose the desired tags for the verb and then again for the suffix. Eg, ‎[VERB feminine]‎[sUFFIX masculine]‏ . You can also further refine the tags to be singular, Qal, etc. 

(Btw, I'm learning Hebrew right now and keeping the suffixes straight in my head is  :wacko: )

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan. I will do just that!

The central issue here is that the form of the 3fs Qal without any attached object pronoun is אָכְלָה. But when a pronoun is attached, the final ה of the form is replaced by a ת (which is actually the historically earlier form, which we see in early Phoenician). So, when any pronoun is attached, you will not see the free form final ה. The relevant list from the paradigms in Jouon-Muraoka's grammar is attached below. 

post-29948-0-17227000-1588340081_thumb.png

• Like 5

The central issue here is that the form of the 3fs Qal without any attached object pronoun is אָכְלָה. But when a pronoun is attached, the final ה of the form is replaced by a ת (which is actually the historically earlier form, which we see in early Phoenician). So, when any pronoun is attached, you will not see the free form final ה. The relevant list from the paradigms in Jouon-Muraoka's grammar is attached below. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-05-01 at 9.33.19 AM.png

This is brilliant! Thanks so much for this information, for which I am most grateful. And, thanks so much for including the grammar reference, as I always love to study my grammars and try to better understand not just the how but the why of things. Thanks, Robert! Can you give me the page number in Jounon-Muraoka?

Edited by Bielikov

This is brilliant! Thanks so much for this information, for which I am most grateful. And, thanks so much for including the grammar reference, as I always love to study my grammars and try to better understand not just the how but the why of things. Thanks, Robert! Can you give me the page number in Jounon-Muraoka?

Should be around page 620

• Like 1

If Robert's screenshot is from the Reprint of First Edition, with Corrections, Second Reprint 1996, it is on pp. 660-661.

• Like 2

Thanks so very much to all of you and to Matt and Michel for the page numbers, I found the table and the explanation at §62. Perfect with suffixes, (Paradigm 3): "Before the suffixes, certain persons in the perfect have a form more like the primitive form (§ 42f). We find 3rd f.sg. קְטָלַת (primitive form: qatalat)." I see I will be back looking at this table again. I find Robert's comment about these primitive forms being similar to the early Phoenician very interesting, indeed. Once again, thanks to all of you.

• Like 2