Show us your Workspaces!

Mark Allison

I'm looking for some good Workspace ideas for an upcoming webinar. Help me out by attaching a screenshot with a comment about why/how you use it!

Help me out by attaching a screenshot with a comment about why/how you use it!

This is a fairly intuitive Workspace for the Qumran Non-Biblical texts.  It shows "Qumran Non-biblical Manuscripts" and "Qumran Non-biblical English" in parallel, along with the "Dead Sea Scrolls Index" tied together with it, providing quick access to information about the scrolls in view.

The font size and spacing options have been customized to allow the English versification to approximately line up with the Hebrew text.

You can also see the Instant Details fading out in the upper right-hand corner.  I locate it there because I have limited screen space.  However, Accordance's wonderful flexibility / versatility with panes, tabs, and windows allows for great customization, which I really appreciate.

post-35231-0-77162100-1588980228_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Help me out by attaching a screenshot with a comment about why/how you use it!

Here's another Workspace.  This one has primary focus on Hebrew Tanakh ("OT") study, including BHS Hebrew text in parallel with a primary English version, along with Hebrew audio files accessible at the bottom of the screen.

The Text Browser is open on the right side of the screen for extensive translation comparison, and the Instant Details is set to fade in the upper right-hand corner, so that important controls can be accessed behind it.

Additionally, you will notice that additional tabs have been positioned to the right of the active tab, in preparation for more specific search options ("All Texts"), as well as a comprehensive "All" search in the Research Tab.  These are prepared in advance so that I won't have to keep opening them.

post-35231-0-87272700-1588980664_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Here you go Mark. This is my sermon writing workspace. I used it as I outline my weekly sermon. I outline my sermons using Papers. I also have my text handy with my notes as well as my sermon user tool where I put all the thoughts & notes from commentaries and some other things outside of Accordance (Excel & Scapple [mind mapping kinda program])

The first screen shot is of the workspace. the other two are of the two other tabs (my sermon ideas user tool and a search tab when I need to look stuff up). Hope it helps. I would be happy to screenshot all of my Sermon session if you would like. Just let me know.

post-18813-0-07366000-1588994042_thumb.png

post-18813-0-95022000-1588994050_thumb.png

post-18813-0-85448300-1588994060_thumb.png

• Like 2

I imagine my basic setup is pretty standard, but: I don't use the interlinear function but I do like to have parallel texts. These are a couple shots of my default workspace. It has several different tabs, and a lot of them are tied together, giving me the possibility of having a fairly uncluttered appearance and, at the same time, easy access to other versions, lexicons, textual apparati, etc.

post-34440-0-92167800-1589024511_thumb.png

post-34440-0-48112000-1589024555_thumb.png

post-34440-0-05313500-1589024579_thumb.png

If I have several searches to do, I use this workspace, which allows me 1) to see several of the hits at a glance and 2) to see the context of the current hit. I have the same thing in several zones, for GNT, HMT and LXX.

post-34440-0-03230600-1589024604_thumb.png

For more in-depth Hebrew Bible study, I have this setup, with tied zones for more specific versions or mss:

post-34440-0-90514100-1589024652_thumb.png

post-34440-0-68357900-1589024678_thumb.png

post-34440-0-72515600-1589024708_thumb.png

Another thing that's important for my setup: I tend to have anywhere between 4-6 workspaces open at the same time, which changes according to what I'm working on at the time.

• Like 1

Mine is super minimal--NIV, NA28, and NA28 Cross-References. 

post-30071-0-59589000-1589026702_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I've simplified this over the years and as I've added more resources to my library I've also found i tend to use just a few key resources and have removed a lot which i rarely used or didn't add much. I think i am still using it like a book but with the advantage of having lots of books organised on a screen and easier to flick beteeen them.

On those increasingly rare occasions I boot the 15" mbp up (instead of using the iPad) I like tabs so have the nrsv which is the text used at church, then a tab of the different translations together with translator notes, then main translations with their study bible then commentaries.

I tend to then add other resources as needed but this is my default one.

For original language i use a different workspace but its much simpler. 

post-31185-0-72178500-1589026635_thumb.png

post-31185-0-55169500-1589026647_thumb.png

post-31185-0-13114000-1589026660_thumb.png

post-31185-0-49114800-1589026672_thumb.png

post-31185-0-50166800-1589026684_thumb.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 4

I seem to have forgotten how you upload an image???

If you click the “more reply options” at the bottom right of the reply window, this should let you attach a file.

hope this helps

john

• Like 2

Hey Mark

My workspace is somewhat simplified at the moment, since going iPadOS only.  I just use Evernote at the side as a temp scratchpad, and then transfer to the notes file later. (This lets me use both panes while taking notes)

I am trusting that my iPadOS workspace will be able to develop more over this coming year.

post-34457-0-46943200-1589032102_thumb.png

• Like 5

I utilize live click and the info pane rather than have lots of panes or other workspaces open. The left pane has browser view of Greek Texts to compare and selected English texts. The right panes are the research results from live click. I have saved workspaces that I can amplify to available as shown in the second screen shot.

post-1391-0-75003200-1589032465_thumb.png

post-1391-0-92747500-1589032473_thumb.png

• Like 2

I'm lucky to have an iMac 27 so I maximise my the screen - the biggest revelation I've ever had with Accordance was from TYA which got me to see that the text and verse browser not instant details was what I needed for the type of study (purely amateur) I do... so I have lots of variants of this layout depending mostly on the commentary or other resources I want to use - mostly COS, Outside the Bible and Carasik's english Miqra’ot Gedolot ... I find a real sense of luxury in having such a well appointed 'desk'

whatever I upload turns out smaller than I intend

post-29557-0-33535000-1589032682_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hey Mark

My workspace is somewhat simplified at the moment, since going iPadOS only.  I just use Evernote at the side as a temp scratchpad, and then transfer to the notes file later. (This lets me use both panes while taking notes)

I am trusting that my iPadOS workspace will be able to develop more over this coming year.

john

(I used to use evernote but switched to using apples own notes when i stopped using a windows pc. Not as feature rich but better supported by apple on their os's.)

Halfway down on the following thread, see 2020 being the year of mobile so still 237 days to go BUT the mobile app has had some significant changes since i started using it in 2011/12.

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/26745-accordance-on-new-ipad-os/?hl=%2Byear+%2Bof+%2Bmobile&do=findComment&comment=138844

So im hopeful but apart from analytics, some clever original language stuff and stacks, i find i can do most things, if just not as easily as the full fat version (plus there are android users who are also crying out for features). 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

So im hopeful but apart from analytics, some clever original language stuff and stacks, i find i can do most things, if just not as easily as the full fat version (plus there are android users who are also crying out for features). 

I agree with you completely. My biggest wish items are the ability to open any two resources side by side, more windows or multiple occurrences of the app side by side, and stacks. I am using the iPad pro  every day exclusively, and delighted with it.

Mark, sorry if I hijacked your thread. :)

Edited by dataduffy
  • Like 4

Mark, for doing deep dive Hebrew exegesis I'll typically have my triple-click forced to use HALOT, then have my theological dictionaries in one tabbed pane, and the other Hebrew lexicons the other tabbed pane. I then use [LINK HALOT] in all of the dictionaries and lexicons to save having to open the same word many times.

Further, I will use the Research pane to do a single verse search over the Grammars (e.g. =Gen 1:1). Any hits from any relevant grammar show up so that I don't neglect any key issue in interpretation that is explicitly called out somewhere. In my case, this requires a custom tool group when focused on the Hebrew text to ensure only Hebrew and/or Semitic tools are employed.

• Like 3

I imagine my basic setup is pretty standard, but: I don't use the interlinear function but I do like to have parallel texts. These are a couple shots of my default workspace. It has several different tabs, and a lot of them are tied together, giving me the possibility of having a fairly uncluttered appearance and, at the same time, easy access to other versions, lexicons, textual apparati, etc.

attachicon.gifDefault setup1.png

attachicon.gifDefault setup2.png

attachicon.gifDefault setup3.png

If I have several searches to do, I use this workspace, which allows me 1) to see several of the hits at a glance and 2) to see the context of the current hit. I have the same thing in several zones, for GNT, HMT and LXX.

attachicon.gifSearch setup.png

For more in-depth Hebrew Bible study, I have this setup, with tied zones for more specific versions or mss:

attachicon.gifOT Textual differences1.png

attachicon.gifOT Textual differences2.png

attachicon.gifOT Textual differences3.png

Another thing that's important for my setup: I tend to have anywhere between 4-6 workspaces open at the same time, which changes according to what I'm working on at the time.

Donald, I see you have TOB (French), but I can't find it on the Accordance website. Is that a user bible you added yourself? I am looking for more French bibles. Thanks.

• Like 2

I've made workspaces for specific projects, but I often end up not really using them. It's just so incredibly easy to open and close resources as needed that I don't really make much use of multiple workspaces. (So I should probably watch Mark's seminar!) My default is one single workspace with a bunch of tabs. You all seem to work on bigger screens. I work on a 13-inch laptop, so I don't usually like having multiple zones open (default is set to 1)  though it's pretty easy to temporarily drag a commentary etc into a parallel zone. Like John Fidel mentioned, the Info Pane makes it so easy to quickly access various tools that I just open and close them as needed (Cmd+click from the Info Pane is  :) .) Analytics open a new workspace when I use them, and then I just close the window when I'm finished. The Text Browser and Research tabs also provide quick access. On an iPad, I frequently use split screen with Nebo (great app) on the side for handwriting notes.

post-30744-0-18363000-1589197170_thumb.png

post-30744-0-17368600-1589197187_thumb.png

• Like 3

This is my go-to workspace for exegetical work. It' got multiple tabs connected together for easy access to the resources for each phase of the exegetical process.

To use it you really just enter data into the "Master" tab. All other tabs are then populated with the appropriate date. This version is setup for Greek mostly.

post-211-0-78757800-1589202835_thumb.png

Bible Study.accord

Edited by jarcher
  • Like 1

I've made workspaces for specific projects, but I often end up not really using them. It's just so incredibly easy to open and close resources as needed that I don't really make much use of multiple workspaces. (So I should probably watch Mark's seminar!) 

As a spin off, im also finding it interesting to see what people are doing with their tool bars. 

hope you are getting inspiration mark and not just pulling your hair out!

;o) 

• Like 2

You all seem to work on bigger screens. I work on a 13-inch laptop, so I don't usually like having multiple zones open (default is set to 1)  though it's pretty easy to temporarily drag a commentary etc into a parallel zone. 

Just for info Jonathan, my computer is a 13" MacBookPro. I usually have the modern language Bibles in a fairly small font so it doesn't take up too much room. It also helps keep me focused on the OL texts, as they are in a bigger type and take up more screen space.

• Like 2

As a spin off, im also finding it interesting to see what people are doing with their tool bars. 

hope you are getting inspiration mark and not just pulling your hair out!

;o) 

These are some great ideas, and very helpful! It's particularly interesting to see how people are working with the limitations of screen size for a given workflow.

• Like 3

I usually have the modern language Bibles in a fairly small font so it doesn't take up too much room.

I don't have a retina screen and have to enlarge the fonts just so I can see them clearly, especially the Hebrew pointing... otherwise they're too blurry to interpret. Replacement computer is actually in transit right now, so my layouts might change when the fonts are suddenly clearer.  :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party.

I have a ton of different special-use workspaces but I've completely simplified my main workspace by keeping the text browser as a permanent pane.

One workspace I've found incredibly useful and haven't seen anyone else post here is a dedicated workspace for live-click information. I keep this workspace open behind my other workspaces and every time I live click a word, it brings that workspace to the front, complete with analytics! Very useful!

post-31975-0-93581700-1591378149_thumb.png

post-31975-0-34081200-1591378208_thumb.png

• Like 3

Here is my most recent. it allows me to quickly reference commentaries, lexicons, and quickly explore other uses of a word.

The left column is for the text and info pane, primarily used for quickly checking commentaries.

The middle column is for triple clicking and looking at BDAG or HALOT or live clicking for other lexica. I also have a tab there for live clicking on a verse reference and seeing other editions and translations.

The right column is for word usage.

post-32384-0-67094900-1591404514_thumb.png

Edited by Brian W. Davidson