False search results in Research Tab

TYA

Please see these false hits / false results for my search in the Research Tab.

Thank you.

post-35231-0-68823400-1589574728_thumb.jpg

This doesn't look like a false result to me. However, the hit words aren't properly highlighted. 

• Like 1

This doesn't look like a false result to me. However, the hit words aren't properly highlighted. 

Thanks Mark.  I see that you are correct.  The desired search terms are indeed all there, but they aren't properly highlighted.

I just shorted the "WITHIN" parameter to 3 words instead of 9, and the hits still aren't properly highlighted (see attached).

post-35231-0-66605200-1589575493_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

It really gets to ambiguous logic when connecting such a string of commands.  Why not build this in a construct, where it is clear?  You can still link it to Research.

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 6.03.43 PM.png

• Like 1

It really gets to ambiguous logic when connecting such a string of commands.

Forgive me, Joel.  I know that it must be my ignorance of programming; but help me out here, because I don't understand what you mean.  It appears to me that what I searched in the Research Tab and what you put in Construct are identical.  I see no difference at all.

I'm not a programmer, but I consider myself pretty "logical"; and I see no reason why the Research Tab isn't highlighting the relevant search terms.  Have I surpassed a limit of search terms, or something like that?

I do look forward to having Scripture refs. cross-searchable with English terms; then I wouldn't need to string all these "WITHIN" terms together.  In this case, I'm searching (or intending to find) something within a particular verse.  It sure would be wonderful if I could limit my English search "because he is the son of man" to a particular Scripture verse.

Thanks

Edited by TYA

It sure would be wonderful if I could limit my English search "because he is the son of man" to a particular Scripture verse.

OR, if I could search a key phrase / clause like "because he is the son of man" within 10 words of Joh 5:28  That functionality would be so so greatly appreciated.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the search:

"because he is the son of man" [RANGE John 5:26-30] 

would return something like what you need?

Edited by Silas Marrs

TYA:

To limit a search, you can use the [RANGE] command, as Silas noted.  If you are in a Search tab, you can also apply the Range search condition.

The big difference between my construct and your expression is a specified order.  There some inherent ambiguity, logically, when stringing multiple commands together.  Lets say I had a search for "Adam Eve God".  Do you want both Adam and Eve within 10 of God, or just Eve?  Constructs are so clear, clean, and easy to create, I always go there when dealing with long expressions like what you specified.  The construct specifies exactly what the bounds are.

Have you tried the INFER and/or FUZZY commands?  You may be interested in doing large fuzzy searches, rather than using so many WITHIN commands.

OR, if I could search a key phrase / clause like "because he is the son of man" within 10 words of Joh 5:28

Joel, Silas: I'm not trying to find the phrase within a *Bible* version.  I've long known how to do that.  I'm running this search in the Research Tab across *all* my resources to find hits in all commentaries, dictionaries, etc. etc. in which this phrase is discussed in conjunction with a specific reference to John 5:28.  I've been asking for this for a long time now.  My request here is nothing new.

With all due respect, love, and appreciation, as long as Accordance keeps Scripture references (e.g. John 5:28) separate and unsearchable in conjunction with English words or phrases, I feel that you are barring me from accomplishing important research.  Many other programs enable a combination search of this kind.  I would really, really, appreciate Accordance being able to do this.

Also, on this same note, it just so happens that I have a fresh post coming in right now on the fact that "All English" isn't *really* "All English," and I can't find something in Accordance no matter how I search.  Unbelievable.

Have you tried the INFER and/or FUZZY commands?  You may be interested in doing large fuzzy searches, rather than using so many WITHIN commands.

Joel, thanks for this suggestion.  Valuable it is; however, no, this won't accomplish what I want.  I don't want the program "thinking" for me (which is what "fuzzy" means to me).  I know precise terms that I want to find.  The "within" range is the only guess, but I can adjust that as needed.

Lets say I had a search for "Adam <AND> Eve <WITHIN 10 Words> God".  Do you want both Adam and Eve within 10 of God, or just Eve?

If I wanted both "Adam" and "Eve" within 10 words of "God," then I would hope / expect that I could structure the search in the Research Tab like this:

(Adam <AND> Eve) <WITHIN 10 Words> God.

Conversely, if I only wanted "Eve" to be specifically within 10 words of "God," then I would write:

Eve <WITHIN 10 Words> God <AND> Adam

or maybe,

(Eve <WITHIN 10 Words> God) <AND> Adam

Constructs are so clear, clean, and easy to create

That is your opinion.  I work out of the Research Tab continually, so anything other than being able to type commands directly there is less than preferable.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1