• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:G-d; Moshiyach; Jewish texts; Israel; family; spreading good news, and serving G-d's people; making new friends (hopefully you!); Bible software's like Accordance :)

Panasonic Toughbook CF-31
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:32 PM

Please see these false hits / false results for my search in the Research Tab.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#2 Mark Allison

Mark Allison

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,856 posts
  • Accordance Version:5.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

This doesn't look like a false result to me. However, the hit words aren't properly highlighted. 

• TYA likes this

#3 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:G-d; Moshiyach; Jewish texts; Israel; family; spreading good news, and serving G-d's people; making new friends (hopefully you!); Bible software's like Accordance :)

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:44 PM

This doesn't look like a false result to me. However, the hit words aren't properly highlighted. 

Thanks Mark.  I see that you are correct.  The desired search terms are indeed all there, but they aren't properly highlighted.

I just shorted the "WITHIN" parameter to 3 words instead of 9, and the hits still aren't properly highlighted (see attached).

Attached Files

Edited by TYA, 15 May 2020 - 03:45 PM.

#4 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 6,303 posts
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:04 PM

It really gets to ambiguous logic when connecting such a string of commands.  Why not build this in a construct, where it is clear?  You can still link it to Research.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 6.03.43 PM.png   186.2KB   0 downloads

• Michael J. Bolesta likes this

Joel Brown

By day: Lead Software Engineer at Accordance
By night: Freelance Trombonist

#5 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:52 PM

It really gets to ambiguous logic when connecting such a string of commands.

Forgive me, Joel.  I know that it must be my ignorance of programming; but help me out here, because I don't understand what you mean.  It appears to me that what I searched in the Research Tab and what you put in Construct are identical.  I see no difference at all.

I'm not a programmer, but I consider myself pretty "logical"; and I see no reason why the Research Tab isn't highlighting the relevant search terms.  Have I surpassed a limit of search terms, or something like that?

I do look forward to having Scripture refs. cross-searchable with English terms; then I wouldn't need to string all these "WITHIN" terms together.  In this case, I'm searching (or intending to find) something within a particular verse.  It sure would be wonderful if I could limit my English search "because he is the son of man" to a particular Scripture verse.

Thanks

Edited by TYA, 16 May 2020 - 08:53 PM.

#6 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

It sure would be wonderful if I could limit my English search "because he is the son of man" to a particular Scripture verse.

OR, if I could search a key phrase / clause like "because he is the son of man" within 10 words of Joh 5:28  That functionality would be so so greatly appreciated.

Edited by TYA, 17 May 2020 - 12:53 PM.

• Silas Marrs likes this

#7 Silas Marrs

Silas Marrs

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 762 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:30 AM

Perhaps the search:

"because he is the son of man" [RANGE John 5:26-30] 

would return something like what you need?

Edited by Silas Marrs, 27 May 2020 - 11:31 AM.

#8 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 6,303 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:54 AM

TYA:

To limit a search, you can use the [RANGE] command, as Silas noted.  If you are in a Search tab, you can also apply the Range search condition.

The big difference between my construct and your expression is a specified order.  There some inherent ambiguity, logically, when stringing multiple <> commands together.  Lets say I had a search for "Adam <AND> Eve <WITHIN 10 Words> God".  Do you want both Adam and Eve within 10 of God, or just Eve?  Constructs are so clear, clean, and easy to create, I always go there when dealing with long expressions like what you specified.  The construct specifies exactly what the bounds are.

Have you tried the INFER and/or FUZZY commands?  You may be interested in doing large fuzzy searches, rather than using so many WITHIN commands.

Joel Brown

By day: Lead Software Engineer at Accordance
By night: Freelance Trombonist

#9 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

OR, if I could search a key phrase / clause like "because he is the son of man" within 10 words of Joh 5:28

Joel, Silas: I'm not trying to find the phrase within a *Bible* version.  I've long known how to do that.  I'm running this search in the Research Tab across *all* my resources to find hits in all commentaries, dictionaries, etc. etc. in which this phrase is discussed in conjunction with a specific reference to John 5:28.  I've been asking for this for a long time now.  My request here is nothing new.

With all due respect, love, and appreciation, as long as Accordance keeps Scripture references (e.g. John 5:28) separate and unsearchable in conjunction with English words or phrases, I feel that you are barring me from accomplishing important research.  Many other programs enable a combination search of this kind.  I would really, really, appreciate Accordance being able to do this.

Also, on this same note, it just so happens that I have a fresh post coming in right now on the fact that "All English" isn't *really* "All English," and I can't find something in Accordance no matter how I search.  Unbelievable.

Have you tried the INFER and/or FUZZY commands?  You may be interested in doing large fuzzy searches, rather than using so many WITHIN commands.

Joel, thanks for this suggestion.  Valuable it is; however, no, this won't accomplish what I want.  I don't want the program "thinking" for me (which is what "fuzzy" means to me).  I know precise terms that I want to find.  The "within" range is the only guess, but I can adjust that as needed.

Lets say I had a search for "Adam <AND> Eve <WITHIN 10 Words> God".  Do you want both Adam and Eve within 10 of God, or just Eve?

If I wanted both "Adam" and "Eve" within 10 words of "God," then I would hope / expect that I could structure the search in the Research Tab like this:

(Adam <AND> Eve) <WITHIN 10 Words> God.

Conversely, if I only wanted "Eve" to be specifically within 10 words of "God," then I would write:

Eve <WITHIN 10 Words> God <AND> Adam

or maybe,

(Eve <WITHIN 10 Words> God) <AND> Adam

Constructs are so clear, clean, and easy to create

That is your opinion.  I work out of the Research Tab continually, so anything other than being able to type commands directly there is less than preferable.

Edited by TYA, 30 May 2020 - 09:39 PM.

• Fabian likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users