User notes getting all mixed up

mgvh

As you can see in the graphic, my user notes are getting all scrambled. The note for one verse gets split and carried over into another verse. It's a mess, and it's going to take a long time getting it straightened back out.

I didn't do anything unusual that I know of to cause the problem.

Where is the note file located and is it editable in MS Word?

post-26999-0-65108500-1590525864_thumb.png

Edited by mgvh

We had a bug with this in one of the earlier betas, which I believe you are running.  Any chance these are notes you had created around then, roughly a few weeks ago?

The notes files are found in your user Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes folders, or you can jump there from a right-click in the Library.  However, the files are not editable in MS Word, so your best bet (aside from a hand cleanup within Accordance) is to restore from a backup.

I'm running 13.1.0b5, but I take notes regularly, so it's likely I added notes previously.

Arrgghhh.... Only backup I have is from early March, 2.5 months ago. This is not good. And it looks like almost all the hundreds of notes I have are scrambled...

1) It's great that Accordance automatically syncs my notes to Dropbox, but it does not help in this situation.

2) It really was good that BibleWorks had all the note files in RTF format. So, even if BibleWorks eventually becomes non-functional, all the notes will be available (since RTF will likely be around or have converters for a long time.) I suppose it is totally impractical to have Accordance notes in a standard format, but may an exporter / converter for all notes could be offered.

• Like 1

More grrr.... So I imported the old note file. I opened it and then I tried to open the corrupted file (which was showing everything, just scrambled). I was hoping to compare the two files to edit my changes. But now that corrupted file now shows no content at all.

So... I tried to open Accordance by double-clicking that (corrupted) note file... the notes appeared... and then the program crashed.

When I look at that notes file now, the content has been erased and the formerly 766kb file is now 1kb.

Mark, I recommend you contact Tech Support to help get this resolved.

• Like 1

2) It really was good that BibleWorks had all the note files in RTF format. So, even if BibleWorks eventually becomes non-functional, all the notes will be available (since RTF will likely be around or have converters for a long time.) I suppose it is totally impractical to have Accordance notes in a standard format, but may an exporter / converter for all notes could be offered.

+1

• Like 2