IVP OT Bible Background commentary. ToC

Dataduffy

Not sure where to file this on the forum.

I quite often like to use commentaries in the primary pane, (or in the secondary pane unlinked from the text).

I have noticed that the Table of Contents on the OT section of Bible Background Commentary is really lacking. For example, under the Pentateuch, under introduction there are sub headings for each of the 5 books.b

However under sections such as historical Literature (covering Joshua to Esther), there are no divisions.

post-34457-0-17676200-1591096389_thumb.jpeg

This results in quite an amount of scrolling to get a book that you are looking for. :wacko:

Obviously I can link it with a text, and use the text to navigate to the desired book, but this may not be convenient, especially if using it in isolation.

The NT Bible Background commentary on the other hand has a ToC that contains a section for each and every book in the NT.

post-34457-0-41334900-1591096407_thumb.jpeg

This may be a limitation of what was received electronically from the publisher, but I sure would welcome at least a ToC that would allow the navigation to each book as a start.   :)

Hey John,

This is absolutely a feature (or lack thereof) of the resource and not the program.

That being said, after having looked at it there are some changes, I think, ought to be made to our markup. We won't add any material to a work, but the structural formatting could be improved.

• Like 1

There are quite a lot of inconsistencies in toc between modules and this is something i have become more aware of in mobile devices.

Some you have great long lists of nothing listed but there are actual links before you get to the text, like ebc notes, see screenshot

Others, particularly lexicons some have a letter and words grouped underneath, others just a list of words.

Similarly in bible notes, some are by book with verses underneath, others by verse. 

started doing an analysis but house move and garden got in the way...

post-31185-0-95401800-1591097418_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

Hey John,

This is absolutely a feature (or lack thereof) of the resource and not the program.

That being said, after having looked at it there are some changes, I think, ought to be made to our markup. We won't add any material to a work, but the structural formatting could be improved.

Thanks, Graham.

I guessed it would be an issue with the resource, but wanted to flag it anyway. If there is anything that can be done to improve this in the future that would be great.

There are quite a lot of inconsistencies in toc between modules and this is something i have become more aware of in mobile devices.

Some you have great long lists of nothing listed but there are actual links before you get to the text, like ebc notes, see screenshot

Others, particularly lexicons some have a letter and words grouped underneath, others just a list of words.

Similarly in bible notes, some are by book with verses underneath, others by verse. 

started doing an analysis but house move and garden got in the way...

Hi Fraser,

I agree that this seems to be more obvious on mobile devices...

The resource is the same, I just think that by being limited to 2 panes (at the moment), and not able to put every resource in the second pane (at the moment!), you tend to rely more on the ToC’s than you would on the desktop app. That’s what I’ve found anyway.

Happy house moving and new garden!

John

• Like 1