Changing texts when in amplify

ukfraser

You know we are lazy and always want more but i didnt find this desperately intuitive so wondered if it could be simplified. 

reading a resource, i came across a bible reference so clicked it and from the instant details went to amplify and got the bible text full screen. While i can click on the words to check the tagging and underlying original language, i wondered what other translations had to say. 

to do this i found i had to tap the screen to get the menu bar up and there i am given the option to change the bible book i was in so Appearing to be able to navigate within the bible text But in fact you cant navigate so this is possibly a bug or 'design feature' that hasnt been implemented.

but i couldnt click the text title to change the translation which normally can do from the menu bar. This is what i assumed i could do and would like to do.

instead, to change text, i had to click the glasses which took me into the text, click the text to get the menu bar active rather than have the grey reference and at that point i could change my bible text.  

ideally it would have been nice to have changed bible text without needing to click the specs and then click the text to get the menu bar. 

hope this makes sense,

thanks 

post-31185-0-47421900-1592494885_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

A lot of what you describe makes sense - the link is displaying the requested verses.  If you want to go to other verses, you need to change your search, or click the glasses.

However, I do like the idea of making the name tappable to quickly change to another translation.  You could do this by adding a parallel pane and changing that text, but I agree it's not the same.

• Like 5

Thanks, didnt think about adding a second window! Good work around. 

Something I have been meaning to mention before is that the interlinear controls look to me like they nearly have everything in place to allow for parallel translation views. That would be cool., and the interlinear controls are available without leaving the search window to select a new translation. Any chance on expanding this to full parallel view stacked? 

Just a thought.

Something I have been meaning to mention before is that the interlinear controls look to me like they nearly have everything in place to allow for parallel translation views. That would be cool., and the interlinear controls are available without leaving the search window to select a new translation. Any chance on expanding this to full parallel view stacked? 

Currently It relies on tagged texts and while most of the serious ones are tagged, unfortunately not all texts have been.

we got interlinear a few versions ago and it really shows just how much thought went into it. 

post-31185-0-89861500-1592501966_thumb.jpeg

Hi Fraser,

I apologize if my post wasn’t that clear, its very late here, but I was aware of the interlinear views. They are great!

I just thought that it may be a way to allow for parallel translation stacking from the same controls. (But as you rightly stated, limited to tagged texts.)

What I’m really getting at is not using a second pane for a second translation, but to have them stacked above each other in the same pane. Probably not possible.

sorry for the confusion.

John

Edited by Dataduffy

Hello John, are you thinking of perhaps something like the Targums Word Map feature, new in 13.1? 

What's New - http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/Default.htm#topics/01_welcome_help/new_v_13.htm%3FTocPath%3D_____3

Word Map - http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/wordmap.htm%3FTocPath%3DBiblical%2520Research%2520and%2520Analyses%7CLanguage%2520Study%2520Tools%7C_____6

I'm not sure how this can be done, since English translations vary so much. I don't use Accordance much on my iPad. To do what I think you're asking on my Windows desktop I either use Text Browser (very limited in that I can't change the verse references), or Add Parallel (and optionally use Compare, but I rarely do that, too many markups I get dizzy, I'm sure I'll get past the learning curve).

I'm feeling beat after a long day, but I fear I'm not helping - I think you are asking strictly about iOS, which I know has such limited options for working with multiple windows/panes/resources at once, so much so that I prefer to use it mainly for reading books (for now anyway, I'm still very early on the learning curve). 

Blessings.

I very rarely use the full fat version these days but i think a feature was Introduced when a lot of bible works users switched to us to see lots of translations stacked. 

i mainly use the semi skimmed ios these days because it does most of what i need but from the image below you see we get the key words in interlinear but not the full text of each translation as it is published and that is what john was suggesting. 

the mobile versions still lag behind for platform parity, but as has often been said, it is still way ahead of the competition and this particular user is just so grateful for what weve got.

But we are never satisfied....

post-31185-0-34229600-1592543080_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Plus i think ive worked out why we still have the books of the bible navigation in an ios search. Doesnt work when you come in from a scripture link but you need it for doing a word search so that now makes sense to me. 

post-31185-0-87268300-1592544323_thumb.jpeg

Wow, that was a quick fix!!!!!!!!!!!

many thanks. 

;o) 

• Like 1

A lot of what you describe makes sense - the link is displaying the requested verses. If you want to go to other verses, you need to change your search, or click the glasses.

However, I do like the idea of making the name tappable to quickly change to another translation. You could do this by adding a parallel pane and changing that text, but I agree it's not the same.

From some previous thread, I understand the decision to not make the name tappable when viewing search results, but how about this: if search results are displayed and the text name is tapped, then open the search interface (as if the magnifying glass has been tapped). Of course, I could be clever enough to notice the glasses icon and realize I need to tap the magnifying glass instead, but I often tap the text name first. When nothing happens, I realize I need to tap the magnifying glass instead.