Favorite Add-on Modules?

Dan Masshardt

I just got Accordance set up yesterday and I'm loving it already (and spreading the word).

I'm surely going to buy the IVP Set shortly but I'm trying to decide what else to put at the top of the list.

Much like books, we try to only buy good stuff, but some stuff just sits even though it's quality. I don't want to hear about what you don't use, but what (for English study in particular) do you have that you'd buy again in a heartbeat if you didn't have it?

Thanks for the input.

Dan

My top 5 English-related study tools would be (if I exclude IVP):

1. The Journal Library

2. Pillar NT Commentary

3. Word Biblical Commentary

4. Zondervan Scholarly Suite

5. Anchor Bible Dictionary

Robb,

What do you use in the Zondervan Suite?

Thanks.

I just got Accordance set up yesterday and I'm loving it already (and spreading the word).

I'm surely going to buy the IVP Set shortly but I'm trying to decide what else to put at the top of the list.

Much like books, we try to only buy good stuff, but some stuff just sits even though it's quality. I don't want to hear about what you don't use, but what (for English study in particular) do you have that you'd buy again in a heartbeat if you didn't have it?

Thanks for the input.

Dan

The IVP set is my favorite English language add-on. But after that I would choose:

1) a variety of good English Bible translations not in the basic pack such as the NAB, JPS (Jewish), JB (Jersalem Bible),

2) The Jewish Study Bible

3) The Atlas with its timelines

I'm probably not the best person to give opinions on this, since I mainly use the Greek and Hebrew techy stuff

Main thing is to get the most out of what you have and enjoy your Bible study! :rolleyes:

I would be lost without the following:

1. Anchor Bible Dictionary

2. Church Fathers

3. Hermeneia Commentary (coming soon so I would hold back some money to buy it when it comes)

If you don't have the NET Bible, I suggest that you get it. The notes are extensive and very helpful.

Rich

Robb,

What do you use in the Zondervan Suite?

Thanks.

I use the following from the Zondervan Suite:

Eadie's Commentaries

Godet Commentaries

Hort Commentaries

Lightfoot Commentaries

Westcott Commentaries

Carson's NT Intro

Dillard's OT Intro

Mounce and Wallace Greek Texts

Dictionary of the Christian Church

Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible

I'm sure I use other modules as well, but these are all regulars. I especially enjoy the Pictorial Encyclopedia. If you've seen the print edition, it's 5 volumes, so it is packed with information. From my perspective, it's the evangelical version of Anchor Bible Dictionary. Eadie's commentaries are lesser known, but they are especially good. I hope that helps!

Thanks Robb. That is helpful.

Hi, Dan, and welcome to the club!

I think the IVP set is an excellent choice. I'd agree with the user that suggested the Atlas, only I'd suggest the Graphics DVD bundle, as it includes the atlas, a timeline and the photoguide. The combo would give you some great visual helps.

I'd also recommend a good study Bible. You might consider the ESVS Study Bible. We have a recorded webinar on it you can watch [accordancebible.com>support>webinars]. The "S" on the end of the ESVS indicates it is a text tagged with Strong's identification numbers. That means you can use it to access original language resources, even if you don't read Greek or Hebrew! [The webinar on Key Numbers and their use is 3/3].

Timothy,

The study bible is something I hadn't really thought of. I guess I usually think of the IVP Background commentaries as doing most of that work pretty well.

I have the tagged ESV from the Premier Library that I purchased. Perhaps I'll consider adding the Study Bible. I'm not wild about the ESV, but the notes to do look excellent. I believe that I can use the study material without using the ESV? That is a cool feature of using software. Anyway, I'll check out your webinar on the topic.

The graphics DVD is moving up the list too...

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

I'd get the graphics bundle. Specifically for the timeline feature (Or just buy the timeline separate). It is an invaluable tool for putting everything in perspective and shows the biblical timeline as well as secular timelines of several kingdoms. Just watch the training module on the timeline and you'll see what I mean. This is the one module I'd buy again if I didn't have it.

I would choose:

1) Anchor Dictionary

2) Net Bible Notes

3) Tyndale Commentary

4) WBC

5) ESV & NLT Study Bible

6) Archaeological Study Bible

IVP is a great start!

I would choose:

1) Anchor Dictionary

2) Net Bible Notes

3) Tyndale Commentary

4) WBC

5) ESV & NLT Study Bible

6) Archaeological Study Bible

IVP is a great start!

Could you comment on why you like the ESV study bible so much? How do you use it if you also have a good introductory commentary (like the Tyndale series) and good bible dictionaries?

Could you comment on why you like the ESV study bible so much? How do you use it if you also have a good introductory commentary (like the Tyndale series) and good bible dictionaries?

I must admit I don't use any of the study Bibles a great deal since I have the other 'heavier' resources. I guess I was thinking this from the perspective of someone just beginning their Accordance library.

However, I do use the Jewish Study Bible frequently and the NLT study Bible for a quick, first look on occasions when I am preparing Sunday School. I do not find myself using the ESV Study Bible much since I added some of the more detailed resources to my library.

I would agree the more scholarly resources are to be preferred if available. I certainly didn't mean to intimate otherwise. Thanks for asking me to clarify my initial thoughts.

In no particular order:

Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds commentary

Thematic Study Bible

Anchor Bible Dictionary

Net Notes

NICOT (only have paper volumes... but a guy can dream!)

Just had to throw in the Map and Timeline tools for their ability to customize (basically create your own maps and timelines using existing data).. only thing like it available.

Archived