Advanced Timeline: Jewish history

TYA

Hello all.  Two questions:

#1) Where do I find "Jewish history (rabbis, writings, movements, and persecutions)" in the Advanced Timeline.  I've tried selecting "All," and I haven't found a single notable Jewish rabbi mentioned.  I did find some modern landmarks regarding the modern state of Israel, but no rabbis like Rashi, Rambam, etc.

#2) Is there a way to draw a vertical line to better see the dates on the timeline, as they apply to events down below on the screen?  Surely there is a more precise way to see the dates than just to make a rough guess between the top of my screen and the items as they are listed further down below.  (See attached).

Thanks

post-35231-0-69981000-1593753289_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

1) Rashi and Nahmanides are in there (located in France and Spain, respectively. Easiest to just search for them.) Rambam is listed as Moses Maimonides. I don't see Rashbam or Ibn Ezra. Jewish history may be a good test case for sharing of user items. :) The Search function in the Timeline is really just a GoTo box, so you can only search for something if you happen to guess correctly at how the entry begins (took me some time to figure out that the Talmud was in there since it's listed under Jerusalem and Babylon.) I hope this can be improved. 

2) I don't see a way either and I agree this would be helpful, especially now that the Timeline is so much bigger.

#2) Is there a way to draw a vertical line to better see the dates on the timeline, as they apply to events down below on the screen?  Surely there is a more precise way to see the dates than just to make a rough guess between the top of my screen and the items as they are listed further down below. 

Sorry I can't help with #1, but your 2nd point is excellent and should probably be posted as its own thread under feature requests.

1)The  important city of Sepphoris is missing from the timeline.

See AYBD article on SEPPHORIS for more information about this mixed population city.

2)Also, the description of Herod leaves out the mention of his rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem.

Edited by Gedalya

Any item you mouseover will show its time with a line in the time ruler at the top.  You can also hold the Option/Alt key to measure times, just like it measures distances in the atlas.  Just Option/Alt drag from one point to another to see their difference.

I appreciate the feedback about important items we missed. With respect to rabbis, there's already an inconsistency with respect to whether the acronyms (Rashi, Ramban, Rambam, etc.) or the actual names (Solomon ben Isaac, Nahmanides, Maimonides) should be the main item label. Which do you all prefer?

As I mentioned in another thread, all the new data is revealing the need to beef up our Timeline searching, and we're looking into how best to do that.

For what it's worth, I agree that a vertical line following the cursor would be nice. No idea if it will happen!

With respect to sites like Sepphoris or Tiberias, we can certainly add key events at those sites, founding date, destructions, etc. What specifically are you looking for?

As for Herod the Great, his description mentions "building projects" in general, and the contemporaneous event "Second Temple Constructed" has an alternate name of "Herod’s Temple” and a description which mentions Herod.

• Like 1

With respect to rabbis, there's already an inconsistency with respect to whether the acronyms (Rashi, Ramban, Rambam, etc.) or the actual names (Solomon ben Isaac, Nahmanides, Maimonides) should be the main item label. Which do you all prefer?

I imagine the majority of Accordance users would more easily recognize Nahmanides, Maimonides, etc., so leaving my personal preference aside, this would seem like the best choice in my opinion.

But it raises another question (along with Jonathan's mention up above that he couldn't find "Talmud"): can we insert our own items on the timeline, so that I could insert "Talmud - Babylonian" and "Talmud - Jerusalem" right next to what already exists?  I would I then be able to search for "Talmud - Babylonian" going forward?

If I have the ability to add and title my own events on the timeline, then I will care much less how Accordance' staff chooses to label them.  But as with the map apparatus, I think it is very important for the users to be able to customize (add) things.

Any item you mouseover will show its time with a line in the time ruler at the top.  You can also hold the Option/Alt key to measure times, just like it measures distances in the atlas.  Just Option/Alt drag from one point to another to see their difference.

Thanks, Joel.  This is indeed helpful.  Better than nothing; however, I can only draw one line at a time, and it instantly disappears as soon as I let go of the button.  I think the best solution would be giving the user the option to enable a "gridline" view in the background.  The user could turn it off or on at will.

Edited by TYA

The acronyms Rashi, Ramban, Rambam should be in label

As far as Sepphoris ,better known as Tzipori, its importance in the Roman period should be emphasized.