Timeline support

henryaukc

I have watched the webinar and really looking forward to see the timeline expanded version will be supported in iPadOS someday

post-36165-0-14270500-1593875551_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

If you look at how many features that windows/Mac version of accordance has, one will realize how the iPadOS version cannot entirely replace it today. At the same time, the iPadOS version of accordance is not without an advantage. It is easier and quicker to pick up the iPadOS and start reading. However, when one starts to do a productive professional activity, the advantage goes to the laptop version of accordance. The intended contrast is that there is a need for a new version that unifies the advantages of iPadOS version with the advantages Mac version. This has become true in the light of changes that apple is making in their wider platform: the goal of unification of app development for both iPadOS and Mac so that the code or most of it will be unified between two versions.

There are several paths of doing this:

1) take the Mac version and compile it for iPadOS. 

2) incrementally modify both iPadOS and Mac versions to come closer to each other until they are unified.

3) start from iPadOS and slowly add the missing features.

Whatever path is taken, there are two important development objective that are needed:

1) Accordance for iPadOS cannot be the same as Accordance for iPhone. The code needs to be split possibly permanently. In fact, I would be bold to take it further: the ipados version should be designed for the minimum size of 11”. I suspect that those accordance ipad users who use this professionally and want these extra features, are either iPad Pro users or planning to upgrade to iPad Pro. Furthermore, the sizes of regular iPads are increasing which might suggest that the 11” version might be increased in the future. To get the kind of functionality needed from the Mac version, probably a larger ipad would be needed.

2) Mac and iPadOS development cannot be maintained as totally different entities. Both teams need to collaborate, plan and discuss and intentionally plan for merging both.

3) As the result of number 2, there needs the adoption of newer technology for both team. Does this mean that code should be based on swift language instead of objective c? Just a question (I do not know what is it based upon).

Now I know that there is some work that is happening now with the next iteration of Accordance for iOS. So these comments might be immature. We have to wait to see what the new version of iOS looks like. 

Daniel, with accordance supporting older os and hardware, you raise some interesting points that could result in new business models such as a free lite and paid for pro versions. Anyone got a trained fly we could place on the wall when internal discussions are happening?

But oh for a reasonably priced ipad with a proper chip which runs the full operating system, life would be so much simpler....

;o) 

• Like 2

I started to use iPad as the sole computer three years ago and don’t wanna go back. My wife got a Macbook Air so I may use if I wanna use MacOS. I am using the latest iPad Pro and I think its hardware is even better than the old MacBook Air so it should be the development of the iPadOS and the App that needs to catch up with the hardware. (but the screen size is different so the design has to change as well )

I really look forward to have a full features iPadOS accordance app in the following years. 

Totally agree. Im using the first gen ipad pro and use it most of the time and have done for many years (even the ipad 2 before it). Not bad from someone who couldnt see the point of an ipad when they were first released!

We have a couple of mbps, my wife uses the newer one and there are a couple of things i still need to use it for, though i try and put it off as long as possible these day, perhaps half an hour a week but will frequently go for a week not using the mbp at all. (The older 08 one is in the music room for when i need to spend serious time on detailed music or photographic related tasks and due to changes in my ministry patterns, im not having to do any heavy accordance work at the moment.)

ive put off getting the graphics package purely because the atlas and timeline dont work on ios despite the package having views that have vanished which is a module ive wanted (but not needed) ever since i got accordance. 

Edited by ukfraser

I post this because I am happy just because it shows “not YET support in Accordance mobile” that gives me hope that it may be supported sooner or later.  Compare to some modules that said “not work in mobile” 

• Like 2

I post this because I am happy just because it shows “not YET support in Accordance mobile” that gives me hope that it may be supported sooner or later.  Compare to some modules that said “not work in mobile” 

I completely agree with you. :)

I have watched the webinar and really looking forward to see the timeline expanded version will be supported in iPadOS someday

I wish I could share your optimism but do you know how long previous versions of Atlas and Timeline have stated the same thing?  It's been more than 6 years! (I think Accordance 8 or before).  When i've called and asked about it, no can tell me anything.  I would love to know how serious Accordance is on getting this to work with IOS/Mobile.  I will be optimistic when i actually see it's available for IOS.  Until then, the only Bible Software Company that offers a universal Timeline and Atlas that works on all devices, dare I say, is Logos. (I'm not saying it's better, but they do indeed offer it).

Edited by Michael Dodd
  • Like 1

It would be easier to happen when Mac move to ARM processor like iOS

I wish I could share your optimism but do you know how long previous versions of Atlas and Timeline have stated the same thing?  It's been more than 6 years! (I think Accordance 8 or before).  When i've called and asked about it, no can tell me anything.  I would love to know how serious Accordance is on getting this to work with IOS/Mobile.  I will be optimistic when i actually see it's available for IOS.  Until then, the only Bible Software Company that offers a universal Timeline and Atlas that works on all devices, dare I say, is Logos. (I'm not saying it's better, but they do indeed offer it).