Jewish perspective on the Psalms

Kristin

Hi Kristin

Thanks for the reply about Jesus.

He is the Anointed One, the Author and Finisher of our Faith.

Hope you find a good commentary on the Psalms.

Im always learning something new from the people in this forum.

Heres a couple of cool videos:

https://youtu.be/F4LG3CjGxEQ

https://youtu.be/koqjj4JAr2w

rg

Edited by rgallo
  • Like 1

Hello Markus

Thanks for sharing that information.

I watched the interview of David Flusser on the Historical Jesus.

It looks like Jesus did not speak Greek.

rg

Hi Rgallo and Markus,
Concerning David Flusser, I agree Jesus did not teach in Greek. Jesus was extremely clear that his ministry was to the Jews and not to the Gentiles. Given that Jesus was Jewish, with Jewish disciples and ministering to Jews, speaking in Greek would not have made much sense. That said, there are a few points were I would not agree.

For example, while Jesus likely did not teach in Greek, I would suspect that he knew at least a decent amount of Greek given the need to communicate with Roman officials.

I further disagree that Jesus only taught in Hebrew (as he seems to suggest). It seems to me that Jesus likely taught using a combination of Aramaic and Hebrew.

While I do see some “Greek god” passages in the NT, I do not think pagan deities is the primary reason for the NT being in Greek as he suggested. Greek was rather a lingua franca.

Kristin

Hi Kristin

After doing a little more research on the subject you may find this interesting.

Did Jesus Speak Greek?

Palestine was multilingual in the time of Christ. Aramaic was the language of the remnant of Israel, a remnant of the Babylonian captivity some 300 years  prior to Christ. Jesus spoke Aramaic as is seen in the Gospel record. Hebrew was the language of the rabbinic circle, but it was Greek that was common to all in that region. Koine means 'common' or 'everyday' and was the language of the Hellenistic world. Jesus and His disciples would most likely have spoken Greek, which unquestionably was a practicality and of necessity at the time. Furthermore, there existed in Jerusalem a Greek speaking Jewish synagogue (Acts 6:9) which no doubt used the Greek Old Testament Septuagint in their services. Then there arose some from what is called the Synagogue of the Freedmen (Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and those from Cilicia and Asia), disputing with Stephen. NKJV

You can do a Google search on this for further reading.

Stanley Porter New Testament Scholar " Did Jesus Ever Teach in Greek?" (Tyndalle Bulletin 44, no. 1 [1993 ]: 199 -235  :ph34r:

rg

Edited by rgallo
  • Like 1

Hi rgallo,
Thank you for the comment, and yes, what Stanley Porter said has always been my understanding as well. That is why I had been surprised when David Flusser claimed Jesus did not seem to ever teach in Aramaic. Even if he is correct in his comments that Hebrew was more common to speak than Aramaic (in contrast to Porter), it still seems clear to me that Jesus would communicate in both Hebrew and Aramaic depending on with whom he was speaking.

Concerning Greek, Flusser is for sure not the only one who has made the claim that Jesus did not know Greek. While I agree he had zero reason to teach in Greek, the idea that someone would not know Greek with the Romans were there seems inconceivable. For those who say Jesus did not know Greek, I have never heard a good argument for how that would be possible while being occupied by the Romans.

Kristin

Hi Kristin

I found some more info about the subject.

The Logos Academic Blog: The Lab" Did Jesus Speak Greek?"

You should check that out.

It would take to much space to paste here

I will have to agree with this post:

Jesus is God and he created all languages so why would it be surprising for him to speak Greek. At that time Jesus was on earth, Koine` Greek was the international language. Even the Jews were speaking Koine Greek. God has planned it that way so everyone would hear the good news about salvation and Jesus was the Messiah they were waiting for. The New Testament was first written in Koine` Greek and that is the reason why every pastor must learn Koine Greek in able to get the interpretation of the Scriptures. Even the Septuaginta was translated in Koine` Greek. Koine Greek is a language that is necessary to get a precise interpretation of the Scripture for it is designed in that way.

I think he spoke Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek. I disagree with Flusser.

My next question: Did Jesus speak in Latin?

What languages did Jesus speak? Christianity.com

It is probable that Jesus knew the three common languages of the cultures around him during his life on Earth: Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek. From this knowledge, it is likely that Jesus spoke in whichever of the three languages was most suitable to the people He was communicating with.

I am not a Scholar, Theologian or Pastor just a bible studies generalist.

rg

Edited by rgallo

Hi rgallo,
Thank you for your comment. I want to use caution since I understand that not everyone on this forum has the same perspective, but with all respect I would like to say the following:

While I agree Jesus spoke all three languages, I don’t think the argument should be based on Christ’s omniscience, primarily because the Bible states otherwise. Luke tells us that Jesus “increased in wisdom” (Lk 2:52), and you cannot increase in wisdom while being all knowing. Later Jesus himself told us that even as an adult he was not omniscient (Mt 24:36, Mk 13:32). As a result of this, while I firmly believe that Jesus is the Messiah and the Son of God, I do not believe he was omniscient since Jesus told us he was not.

I agree that the NT is in Koine Greek given that it was a more accessible language than Hebrew, and I also agree that every pastor (and theologian…) should learn Koine.

Sincerely,
Kristin

Hi Kristin

My Question: Is Jesus God?

Can you find anything more in the bible saying he is not God?

Something by NT Wright and Ravi Zacharias

https://youtu.be/8DahXvRaV4E

https://youtu.be/qq7PBmcMpKk

https://youtu.be/gWDdy0k8WNA

rg

Edited by rgallo

Hey, folks, sorry to break up the party, but just a quick reminder of the forum guidelines that include the statement:

“Discussion of Biblical interpretation, points of theology, and personal beliefs is inappropriate for this board, as are personal announcements and off-topic requests. While we encourage such interchange, we ask that you discuss these issues privately, rather than using the Forums.”

Since from what I can tell, the original question has been pretty much answered, I’m going to lock this topic for further discussion, since it has started to go in other directions. If you have any concerns, feel free to send me a direct message. 

• Like 1