Bug in user bible import

miketisdell

If an imported bible omits verse but has the verse included in the import with no data, the import is gets misaligned. 

For example, ever verse in this import will be misaligned after Job 29:6 because there is no data (only spaces) on this line. 

Job 29:5 וכד חסינא חדיר הוא לעלימותי
Job 29:6 
Job 29:7 כד נפקת לתרעא וקרית ובשׁוקא איך בישׁא יתבת

However, If change the line with no data to look like this, the alignment problems are fixed. 

Job 29:6 --

There should be no requirement for data in places where there is no verse, please fix this so that these black verses can be imported correctly. Finding every instance of a blank verse in a large import and adding "--" is a very time consuming process. 

• Like 1

I use Regex to fill up the empty verses.

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

I have made a similar request 

It was like this: If they are empty verses in the User Bible then they should showed in Parallel and the Info Pane etc. with the verse above.

For example I have a User Bible  which has combined verses. At the moment I have to write something in the "empty" verses, but then they don't match the content of the parallel Bible. The parallel Bible should recognize the "empty" verse, but still display the one  above. 

Fabian

If an imported bible omits verse but has the verse included in the import with no data, the import is gets misaligned.

For example, ever verse in this import will be misaligned after Job 29:6 because there is no data (only spaces) on this line.

Job 29:6

However, If change the line with no data to look like this, the alignment problems are fixed.

Job 29:6 --

There should be no requirement for data in places where there is no verse, please fix this so that these black verses can be imported correctly. Finding every instance of a blank verse in a large import and adding "--" is a very time consuming process.

This is one reason why I called User Bible import fragile. Either the user has to be very careful, or he has to have an external script or program that will check and perhaps correct the data before it goes into Accordance. For my first User Bible, I wrote a script to check and correct some issues. Then I learned of BibleMultiConverter, which made the next few much easier.

This is one reason why I called User Bible import fragile.

Finding every instance of a blank verse in a large import and adding "--" is a very time consuming process.

I would echo this, but call it an understatement.  The process of importing User Bibles can be very time-consuming and annoying.  However, this document (attached) has some helpful advice for the fastest, easiest way to locate verses with missing text.  I made this several Accordance versions ago, but the techniques are probably still applicable, as long as the problem of missing text remains in Accordance up till now.

How to Import Unicode Heb.-Ar. texts into Accordance.doc

Edited by TYA

Then I learned of BibleMultiConverter, which made the next few much easier.

The Accordance in and output of the BMC is based on my experience with Accordance. I'm not the programmer, but I explained him how Accordance handle User Bibles. 

I wrote on my experience with the BMC also my own manual.

I would echo this, but call it an understatement.  The process of importing User Bibles can be very time-consuming and annoying.  However, this document (attached) has some helpful advice for the fastest, easiest way to locate verses with missing text.  I made this several Accordance versions ago, but the techniques are probably still applicable, as long as the problem of missing text remains in Accordance up till now.

I have also made a Word file. But I guess I have to translate it first.

• Like 1

The process of importing User Bibles can be very time-consuming and annoying. However, this document (attached) has some helpful advice for the fastest, easiest way to locate verses with missing text. I made this several Accordance versions ago, but the techniques are probably still applicable, as long as the problem of missing text remains in Accordance up till now.

The document shows how hard it is for an ordinary user. Those lucky enough to know how to use regular expressions can simply open the file in a text editor that supports them and tell it to replace "^(\w+\s+\d+:\d+)\s+$" with "\1 -" or something similar. But neither should really be necessary. Accordance ought to be clever enough to realize it has been given a verse with no content and represent that appropriately in the User Bible. At the very least it ought to give an error instead of simply reading past the end of the line.

Edited by jlm
  • Like 2

for an ordinary user

I've been called a lot of things in my life, but now this? :)

Those lucky enough to know how to use regular expressions can simply open the file in a text editor that supports them and tell it to replace "^(\w+\s+\d+:\d+)\s+$" with "\1 -" or something similar.

Can you give an example of a program (text editor) that would support the use of REGEX (for Windows)?  Also, would this cause any problem for a Hebrew/Aramaic text, or would it keep the right-to-left format intact?  Thanks.

Edited by TYA

I've been called a lot of things in my life, but now this? :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. In a lot of ways you go beyond the ordinary, but not in programming skills.

Can you give an example of a program (text editor) that would support the use of REGEX (for Windows)? Also, would this cause any problem for a Hebrew/Aramaic text, or would it keep the right-to-left format intact? Thanks.

With the caveat that I rarely deal with Windows, I understand a lot of people like Notepad++ and it's free. I've never used it.

Atom is also free, and I use it on macOS, but it's more complicated because of its vast range of packages (plugins). It can do much more, but you'll have to find a package that does it. Regular expressions searches, however, are part of the base download. It uses a different dialect of regular expressions, so you would need "$1" instead of "\1" in the substitution expression.

• Like 1

I use Atom, Notepad++ and VSCode on Windows and any would be fine for this, but Notepad++ would be the simplest and quickest. All are free.

As to whether it would mess up the Hebrew RTL ? No, it shouldn't. This regex shouldn't match Hebrew characters or control characters. It should just match empty lines with a verse ref at the start.

Thx

D

• Like 1

As for Hebrew and Aramaic, I exported CGT (the first database that caught my eye) from BibleWorks and opened it in Atom. I was surprised that it wouldn't let me put my cursor in the Aramaic text, but it did display it correctly. So it's no good for modifying the actual Aramaic text, but it handled the empty verses. I used CMD-F to bring up the search pane, inserted the regular expressions, pushed the button to enable regular expression searches, and then pushed Find All and Replace All. The interface froze for a minute, but then all 22,000+ blank verses had a dash (apparently I should have only exported the first five books instead of the whole OT).

I hadn't heard of it, but I tried it now. It does a bit better that BBEdit with the Aramaic text in the exported CGT database, but none of the editors I tried seems to display it as intended. That may be due to the mix of Roman numerals (the MS number) with square script and nikkud. With Atom, the nikkud wind up stacked under the two characters at the ends of the left-to-right range. BBEdit puts them under the Hebrew letters and lets me use the right and left arrows, but some movements make the line of text flash in the sense of characters appearing and disappearing. CotEditor stably displays the text, but both it and BBEdit have a hataf qamets under the middle digit of the manuscript number (which appears backwards with respect to BibleWorks). I don't care enough to find out what is going wrong.