Finding Greek Words from English Text

screfield

Hi,

How would I run a search that only returns the Lexical Forms of the different Greek words that a single English word translates?

For example, let's say I want to discover the different Greeks words behind our English translation "Love", but I don't want every verse in which it appears, nor do I want every Inflected form. Just the basic lexical words. How would I construct a search so I can look up "Love" in the ESVS and have it return the handful of Greek Lexical words in the NA28 Greek NT that sits behind that English word in the NT?

E.g. "Love" = ἀγαπαω (verb), φιλεω (verb), ἀγαπη (noun).

And finally, how might I extend that search to include all the verses that that Greek word appears in:

E.g.

"Love" = ἀγαπαω (verb):

"Love" = φιλεω (verb):

"Love" = ἀγαπη (noun):

Thanks.

If the end result you're looking for are all the Greek words translated "love" in an English translation, you can search the GNT using the TEXT command and display an Analysis of the results.

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-03%20at%206.52.1

Otherwise, just search for "love" in an English Text and display the Analysis, then search for those words in the GNT.

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-03%20at%206.55.4

I would recommend using the Louw-Nida lexicon.
Love, Affection, Compassion (25.33–25.58)

That will give a fuller list of Greek words related to the domain.

• Like 3

Then to find your "list of verses" just double-click on the lexical form in the analysis pane and it will do a reverse search for that lexical form in the appropriate text

Edited by Ken Simpson

In light of this recent thread, I will again resurrect an old thread...

Louw-Nida Domain Search

I may have missed something, but I'm still not seeing how to search the Greek for all the words in a given Louw-Nida semantic domain or domain range.

As noted in the old thread, this was something that was quick and easy to do in BibleWorks. It's also easy to do in a 'competitor.' (I'll say it again. Accordance is my primary program, so I'm not dissing it or trying to provoke a "who's better?", but I really want to do everything in Accordance.) E.g., the original poster's question about looking for words for love are contained in LN 25.33-58. Here's the list I generated:

post-26999-0-42076000-1596633113_thumb.png

• Like 1

In light of this recent thread, I will again resurrect an old thread...

Louw-Nida Domain Search

I may have missed something, but I'm still not seeing how to search the Greek for all the words in a given Louw-Nida semantic domain or domain range.

As noted in the old thread, this was something that was quick and easy to do in BibleWorks. It's also easy to do in a 'competitor.' (I'll say it again. Accordance is my primary program, so I'm not dissing it or trying to provoke a "who's better?", but I really want to do everything in Accordance.) E.g., the original poster's question about looking for words for love are contained in LN 25.33-58. Here's the list I generated:

As far as I am aware, this is not possible in Accordance. 

There’s nothing definite I can tell you about future features, but I can tell you we’ve had discussions about adding a domain search from Louw & Nida, similar to what could be done in BW, back in the day. There’s no more -I- can report, but other individuals may be able to add more here than what I just said. 

• Like 2